Higher speeds, heavier oils?

I've seen several Toyota OMs, and they do say that for towing, mountains, high speed, high altitude, hot temps that a higher viscosity oil is required for sufficient protection. I think it's intentionally vague, but since the same engines are using 40- and 50-weight oils in other parts of the world there is no issue with higher viscosities and sufficient oiling.

There will probably be lots of commentary on this, but IMO it will not hurt to step up to a 30-weight oil. I wasn't able to locate a European/Australian/Asian Honda owner's manual for you.
Wrong, there is nothing that says "required,", stop being so dramatic.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
Originally Posted By: CT8
the reason we have thinner oils is because of the EPAs CAFE standards. Then there doesn't seem to be scores of engine failures from the 20wts. Probably the oil pressure and temps would need to be monitored to get more than opinion.

I'm not so sure about that... While true on the emissions and sustainability point, companies like Toyota are now having to do full engine rebuilds in the the 4 cylinders that use 0w20 due to oil consumption. A class action lawsuit has also been filed against Subaru since the introduction of 0w20's in the their engines due to engine failures and the insane amount of oil consumption that has been going on.

Not saying it's the grade as much as it may be low HTHS viscosties, still an alarming trend either way.

I wouldn't be so quick to draw conclusions.
Porsche is having cylinder wear issues in their boxer engines that are spec's for 0W-40 and 5W-40 grades and it is primarily occurring in winter driven cars in temperate climates.
Piston rings are a full rebuild?!

its ALL about oil temps!!! spec is @ 212F + when your oil passes that it gets thinner + thinner + fuel dilution + bad things that you dont notice happens!! on SavageGeese a pro he notes bearing damage from xW20 oils that can ONLY be seen by visual inspection from pulling bearing caps!! real synthetics PAO + Ester thin less but still not optimal!!

Won’t hurt to switch up a grade, that being said plenty of cars with 150k+ on the odometer running 0w20 and 5w20 in the southwest with no issues at all. As others have mentioned, yes you can do 200+Mph on the autobahn but here you can legally do 85 for 10ish hours straight highly doubt you’re going to see any meaningful engine life improvement.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: David_Corbett
I am informed that one of the reasons that we tend to user lighter oils in North America than Europe is because our highway speeds are markedly lower.

I gotta laugh every time I see this and then drive past the hundreds of miles of "Speed limit 80" signs on I-10.

The autobahn may not have a speed limit, but in practice you can't sustain speed anywhere near as long there as you can on US interstates. Its possible to run 10-12 hours with nothing but fuel and bladder breaks at 80-85 MPH, just in Texas alone. In triple-digit ambient temps over much of that in summer. And people are out there doing it all day.

Now that sounds like a little piece of heaven for enthusiast drivers!
It’s not, Texas is mostly a boring and fairly ugly state with some pretty spots. The pan handle is a place where time stands still 90mph and straight for 8 hours is torture.

My bmw e90 325i has done a lot of 120mph long runs on the factory eu 5w30 ll04 spec without problems.

Modern cars with map controlled thermostat lower the engine temp and thus oil temp when more power is required. See picture:

So the oil doesnt really see a lot of high temps on modern cars with high loads.
If load is low they let the temps rise to decrease drag so the oil should actually degrade more when the car is driven slower.
But older simpler cars do get hot, especially without heatexchanger.

Attachments

• MAHLE-MAP-Thermostats (1).jpg
    MAHLE-MAP-Thermostats (1).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7
What an old thread! Very interesting.

As far as speed, did a drive on I-10 last weekend and set cruise on 90 to keep up with traffic. Hit 106 top speed. Whoa.

Back