Higher mileage BMW ZF 8spd fluid recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback. I feel like the transmission sometimes shifts really hard on a WOT upshift in Sport+ mode. I know in the sport modes the transmission shifts progressively harder and faster, but this seems almost clunky. I noticed maybe twice since over purchased the car. Did you notice any improvement on WOT up shifts after changing the fluid?

Originally Posted by randomhero439
Thanks for the feedback. I feel like the transmission sometimes shifts really hard on a WOT upshift in Sport+ mode. I know in the sport modes the transmission shifts progressively harder and faster, but this seems almost clunky. I noticed maybe twice since over purchased the car. Did you notice any improvement on WOT up shifts after changing the fluid?

Spt and Spt+ do deliver faster/harder shifts. The shift speed could be viewed as "clunky" if the vehicle is being driven in stop-n-go traffic but, imo, that's a reflection of to using the incorrect driving mode for the environment. IMO sport mode really shines when you can stay within gears 4-7 rather than 1-5.

Due to the traffic I never drive in sport mode so I can't comment.

Last edited:
ZF-8's in mutiple platforms have used Valvoline Maxlife ATF for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.

So I have no doubt LM will work fine.

I had a Bmw 525i E60 and used the liqui moly top tech 1800,. My transmission was a ZF6HP and it worked great, It should also work with the ZF8HP transmission,. Guys that have Rams use maxlife in there ZF8HP Transmissions.

Originally Posted by dave1251
ZF-8's in mutiple platforms have used Valvoline Maxlife ATF for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues.

So I have no doubt LM will work fine.

A lot guys in the Ram forums that have the ZF8HP Transmissions use the Valvoline maxlife and they say it works great, I used liqui moly in a ZF6HP and never had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back