Higher mileage BMW ZF 8spd fluid recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - I bought a 2012 BMW 335i RWD with the ZF 8spd automatic as a family car. I am fairly well versed in BMWs and their maintenance, but this is my first automatic. The car has 94,000 miles on it and to my knowledge, has not had the trans fluid or filter changed.

I've seen a couple kits on euro parts sites that show either ZF Lifeguard 8 or Liqui Moly Top Tech 1800 as the fluid of choice. These kits come with a new filter and screws.

The ZF fluid is about $100 more than the Liqui Moly kit. Would you buy the ZF, Liqui Moly, or something else?

The newest and correct BMW number on the fluid is 83222289720, superseeds the older number 83222305397.
Liqui Moly TOP TEC 1800 ATF has the approval, if you plan to do a complete flush i I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I you plan to just drop the pan and replace the 5-6 liter i would stick with the oem Lifeguard 8 so you dont mix 2 different fluids.

I have used both the oem ZF lifeguard 8 and with my last flush i used 15Liter Ravenol 8HP who also has the right BMW 83222289720 approval. It works like a charm.

So you can look for ShellML12108/ Bmw 83222289720 approval, ZF Lifeguard 8 approval.

I use LM all the time, buy the 1800 by the 20 liter, no issues since we opened in 2011. Also have a 330i that used the 1800 at 150k service and is still going at 277.

I'd trust LM, they were the 1st to openly say that full synthetic is not always the best way to go in some applications, whereas almost everyone else was jumping on the full synthetic wagon.
This fluid also is not fully synthetic, but made through synthesis technology, which means that it was based on grp 3 but "massaged" into synthetic performance through chemistry.
If ZF fluid is not available LM would be my 1st choice.

Maxlife
smile.gif

Originally Posted by discountdon
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Maxlife
smile.gif

with Lubegard Platinum
smile.gif

Only when installed with General Altimax RT43 tires.

This will probably be the one and only fluid change on the transmission I will do on the car. I'll just stick to the ZF LG8 fluid to keep from mixing them.

Ideally you should approach ZF or BMW to buy the correct fluid.

Best alternatives come from Redline and Schaeffers but not stored in every shop.
Maxlife ATF is widely available.

Yeah I've done a little more research, and ZF recommends their Lifeguard 8 or suitable alternative. OCI is 50-80k miles depending on driving style or 8 years.

What I haven't been able to find is the total transmission fill. Thinking here is should I replace the fluid and filter and then 5,000 miles later do just a drain and fill to make sure (almost) all the fluid is refreshed? Or just drain, filter replacement, fill, and enjoy the car for the next few years till I replace it.

Originally Posted by randomhero439
Yeah I've done a little more research, and ZF recommends their Lifeguard 8 or suitable alternative. OCI is 50-80k miles depending on driving style or 8 years.

What I haven't been able to find is the total transmission fill. Thinking here is should I replace the fluid and filter and then 5,000 miles later do just a drain and fill to make sure (almost) all the fluid is refreshed? Or just drain, filter replacement, fill, and enjoy the car for the next few years till I replace it.

When you drain the fluid, measure how much comes out, and refill with the same amount you drained
smile.gif

A single drain and fill is sufficient.

When you drain the fluid, measure how much comes out, and refill with the same amount you drained
smile.gif

This works, just make sure it's cold! Fluid of different temp can vary substantially.

Originally Posted by panthermike

smile.gif

This works, just make sure it's cold! Fluid of different temp can vary substantially.

Yes, I do it cold
thumbsup2.gif

cold cars are easier to work on than hot cars
banana2.gif

Stick to ZF8.
Unless you are unable to find ZF8 in some case (which is impossible) go Redline D6 or Valvoline Maxlife. Those two are widely used in BMW community.
Forget others.
As for change procedure, make sure temperature of fluid is around 37 celsius.
As fr complete drain, it is impossible and not intended. If you are really bothered by it, drain and refill, after 1000-2000 miles do it again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Stick to ZF8.
Unless you are unable to find ZF8 in some case (which is impossible) go Redline D6 or Valvoline Maxlife. Those two are widely used in BMW community.
Forget others.
As for change procedure, make sure temperature of fluid is around 37 celsius.
As fr complete drain, it is impossible and not intended. If you are really bothered by it, drain and refill, after 1000-2000 miles do it again.

THIS ^^^^^^^^

OP, I had the ATF on my 435 (55k miles) changed about two months ago and I am extremely happy with the results. 1-2-3 shift is much smoother. For some reason my unit took 6L of fluid which, with the improved shift feel, makes me think it was slightly underfilled from the factory.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back