High reving Honda B series

Ok. So been a member a while but can't get into old accounts. Anyways, I run a circle track Civic with a built B series. 13:1 compression, 110 race fuel, 8500+ revs every straightaway for a 30+ lap race.

I have ran 20w50 Valvoline VR1 for several years. Considering making the switch to Driven GP-1 or VP racing oil. Unsure. Perk to VR1 is I can easily grab a jug at the local parts store. Downside is I feel like there's better out there in similar price range. The Vp is only a consideration as they have a racer deal going right now to get oil and lots of other items for like 65% off

Coin toss on racing oil brands. Haven't seen one any better than another.

Why a 50 grade? temps under control? psi issues?
Oil shearing over course of a race. Drop too low of pressure and lose vtec. It's not a clearance issue. We've tried several different brands and grades over the years. Anything less than a 40 doesn't hold over a full race.

Oil shearing over course of a race. Drop too low of pressure and lose vtec. It's not a clearance issue. We've tried several different brands and grades over the years. Anything less than a 40 doesn't hold over a full race.
Do they make monograde racing oils? Unless your real problem is fuel dilution of course.

Do they make monograde racing oils? Unless your real problem is fuel dilution of course.
Yes typically a 50 or 60. Not a fuel dilution issue on the other cars we've ran. In past we've ran stock engine switch stock ecu's and fuel systems. Hell if anything they were a touch on the lean side.

Vtec controlled by controller and works fine with 0w20 oils? I don't understand about losing vtec.

Losing oil pressure needs to be studied with your engine. What oil temps? oil aeration? oil consumption level loss?

Sorry, can't help you. Good luck!

This is over the past 5 years on d series, b series H series all similar issue on shearing in a race and losing vtec if ran less than a 40 but even some 40s in hot weather would shear too much and lose vtec late late in race.

Vtec controlled by controller and works fine with 0w20 oils? I don't understand about losing vtec.

Losing oil pressure needs to be studied with your engine. What oil temps? oil aeration? oil consumption level loss?

Sorry, can't help you. Good luck!
Even on a tuned ecu if theres not enough oil pressure if I have all th outside parameters other than rpm disabled it'll still cut in and out if too but of a drop to push the pins to engage vtec lobes,

Not just my engines but several other different honda family engines in the same type of racing

VR-1 is available as a monograde - SAE 30 all the way up to 60. If shearing is really the issue, monograde is a solution.
I just snagged some SAE 40 off Amazon a few weeks ago when the price dropped down to ~$5/qt but now it's back up to ~$7/qt. Worth a shot maybe.

Motorcycle UOA here (gearboxes shear oil):

VR-1 is available as a monograde - SAE 30 all the way up to 60. If shearing is really the issue, monograde is a solution.
I just snagged some SAE 40 off Amazon a few weeks ago when the price dropped down to ~$5/qt but now it's back up to ~$7/qt. Worth a shot maybe.

Motorcycle UOA here (gearboxes shear oil):
Definitely agree that if mechanical shearing is the primary criteria/problem then a monograde oil can be the solution.

Most of these guys are thin oil lovers and don't even understand the kind of RPM you're turning these things. The VR1 is what I'd stick with as it has the extra ZDDP you need for the Honda flat tappets and is readily available. Maybe give the monograde stuff a shot though if its warm where you race. Less FM's mean less prone to shear.

Back