2014 Yamaha FZ-09, Valvoline VR1 SAE 40, 4000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to doing a UOA for this oil.

2B899HA.png

According to the VR1 spec sheet, TBN starts at 8.5, flash is 248C, and Zinc/Phosphorous should be 1400/1300ppm.

Was surprised to see actual Zn/P amounts being higher, but not surprised at the viscosity. Shifts as good at 4000 miles as it did at 0 miles.

But-but, but-but, but cold start wear.

That looks real nice, thanks for the report.

The 20W50 VR1 is what I'm leaning toward to use in my brother's bored & stroked 1967 283 small block, with solid flat tappets & fairly high lift cam, once his 500 mile break-in is completed. Those Zn & P numbers look better than a lot of diesel HDEOs!

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Yeah, the engine's shed literally tens of parts per million of iron in 4000 miles, it's ripping itself apart!
grin.gif

This was the third consecutive fill of VR1 SAE 40, which was in the bike from April to end of July. The second fill was in the bike from September to April, and I rode the bike through winter - that would have been an interesting UOA to see. The bike's kept in a garage where the temperature never falls below 50F even in winter, so not exactly freezing starts, but extended runs at highway speeds in winter would see the oil temps drop to 160F.

I reckon this would be a great oil to run in engines that are known to be shear monsters, climate allowing. And if you can actually get your hands on the stuff at a reasonable price (currently ~$8/qt on Amazon, but I'd snagged a bunch a while ago when it was at $5).

Define cold?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Define cold?

Cold is near limitation of an oil's temperature range. But you knew that, and the origin of sarcasm.

jeff
nice report!
of course it still has the stoners oddities in it.

however, a typical VR1 report of GREAT!

the sae 40,50,60 and 20w50 of the VR1 line give amazing results.

unless price sways you...never a reason to change!

steve

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Good motorcycle and report, now which filter were you using and have you ever used VR1 SAE50 or 20W-50?

Fram Ultra 6607's for the past 3 years. Have not tried the 50 grades, as I never felt the need to go higher than 40. But for a non-liquid cooled motorcycle, or one where the manufacturer recommends a 50 or 60, I wouldn't hesitate.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
jeff
nice report!
of course it still has the stoners oddities in it.

Yeah I have no idea where that 1ppm of titanium came from, as there's no titanium in the engine and the quantity seems too low to me to be part of the additives package, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
unless price sways you...never a reason to change!

Currently ~$8/qt on Amazon which is starting to approach the spendier motorcycle oils and makes me want to extend the OCI out to 6K or more. I'm sure the oil would be fine - no shifting degradation and plenty of TBN left - but it's more of a mental thing to overcome.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
I see you're in NY, is cold start ever been a issue or what's the lowest temp in which you have ridden?

The bike's a weekend toy kept in a garage where the temperature doesn't drop below 50F so that's the coldest I've ever started it. It cranked maybe a little bit slower than it does now (90F), but never failed to start. On the other hand, warmup seemed quicker than on a multigrade 40.

If I kept this motorcycle outside in winter I wouldn't run SAE 40 - maybe I'd try the SAE 30 (VR1 is also available in 10W-30).

Last winter the coldest I rode was just below freezing. I have an oil temperature gauge installed and as expected on a bike with a coolant-to-oil heat exchanger, oil temps chase coolant temps. These Yamahas have 160 degree thermostats, so it wasn't unusual to see 150-160 degree oil temperatures in the colder months.

Also, just as a note the bike's never short tripped. Once it's started, I'll just ride it the whole day. In winter, for as long as I can tolerate.
wink.gif

A good reason to never use a straight weight 40 oil in a bike that doesnt recommend it.
Not sure of the purpose.
Not exactly a great UOA but its not the oils fault ... :eek:)

Of course it warms up faster, the friction of the thick oil causes that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
A good reason to never use a straight weight 40 oil in a bike that doesnt recommend it.

What's the good reason? Restrictions on sump temperatures on startup? Of course - multigrade oils are specified to ensure the oil can flow at subfreezing and far below freezing temperatures. Imagine if owner's manuals recommended monogrades - that section would be full of restrictions, cautions and caveats.

Quote:
Not sure of the purpose.

It was originally an experiment to see how the bike would like VR1 (as I've never tried it before), and how a monograde would behave in terms of shifting degradation over the OCI. Since a monograde has no VII's to shear, what I expected was that the shifting would be the same at the end of the OCI as at the beginning - and that's exactly what happened.
Also, it didn't hurt that the VR1 SAE 40 was around $5/qt on Amazon at the time.
The bike's long out of warranty and I knew I could control for startup temperatures, so using a 'non-recommended' monograde oil was no issue for me.

This bike has previously seen fills of Rotella T3, T5, T6, Motul 7100, Red Line, and Valvoline M/C oil (both synthetic and conventional versions). The VR1 ties with (maybe slightly surpasses) Red Line for best shifting over the entire OCI, at a substantially lower cost. The T6 was the worst, the other Rotellas were okay, the 7100 did not impress at all given the cost, and the Valvoline M/C oils were very very good although I did not run them out much past 3000 miles.

They say 'you never know until you try', so I tried....and now I know.

Quote:
Not exactly a great UOA but its not the oils fault

What does a 'great' UOA look like? I was mostly curious about the amounts of Zn and P, and what the viscosity would be. I was surprised at the higher-than-spec numbers of Zn and P, and the viscosity was what I expected it to be - the same as it was when the oil was new. I'm not really concerned with 'wear metal' levels, as long as they're not absurdly high.

Quote:

I see this as an advantage.

I ran the numbers a while back - SAE 40 is thinner than a typical 20W-50 at freezing and above. So in that temperature range, if an engine doesn't have a problem with 20W-50, it won't with an SAE 40.

Not sure of the purpose.
Not exactly a great UOA but its not the oils fault ... :eek:)

What are you drinking?

High ZDDP levels such as those in VR1 were reduced in current oil formulations to prolong catalytic converter life span. If your engine is tight & doesn't burn oil...OR you have removed the catalytic converter there isn't any worry. Since it is a New Yammy, it will last forever with a good maintenance schedule.

My personal preference in my wet clutch bikes is cheap Rotella 15W40 & Fram TG filters. There is something to be said about a sub $20 oil change with an OCI @ 2K miles. You really don't want to go much more than 2K miles since the motor oil is shared with the transmission and we all know clutch plates do wear.

Anyhow, the FZ-09 is an awesome ride. I would really dig owning an XSR900 since the retro version looks way cool!!!

As the OP mentioned.... I’m trying to understand the much higher than Valvoline spec zinc/phosphorus numbers. Over 300 ppm higher in both Z/P versus what Valvolne rates the virgin oil at (1400/1300). And this is a used oil analysis where, all else equal, those numbers would probably go down a bit but not up, IMO.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeff78

What's the good reason? Restrictions on sump temperatures on startup? Of course - multigrade oils are specified to ensure the oil can flow at subfreezing and far below freezing temperatures. Imagine if owner's manuals recommended monogrades - that section would be full of restrictions, cautions and caveats.

Quote:
Not sure of the purpose.

It was originally an experiment to see how the bike would like VR1 (as I've never tried it before), and how a monograde would behave in terms of shifting degradation over the OCI. Since a monograde has no VII's to shear, what I expected was that the shifting would be the same at the end of the OCI as at the beginning - and that's exactly what happened.
Also, it didn't hurt that the VR1 SAE 40 was around $5/qt on Amazon at the time.
The bike's long out of warranty and I knew I could control for startup temperatures, so using a 'non-recommended' monograde oil was no issue for me.

This bike has previously seen fills of Rotella T3, T5, T6, Motul 7100, Red Line, and Valvoline M/C oil (both synthetic and conventional versions). The VR1 ties with (maybe slightly surpasses) Red Line for best shifting over the entire OCI, at a substantially lower cost. The T6 was the worst, the other Rotellas were okay, the 7100 did not impress at all given the cost, and the Valvoline M/C oils were very very good although I did not run them out much past 3000 miles.

They say 'you never know until you try', so I tried....and now I know.

Quote:
Not exactly a great UOA but its not the oils fault

What does a 'great' UOA look like? I was mostly curious about the amounts of Zn and P, and what the viscosity would be. I was surprised at the higher-than-spec numbers of Zn and P, and the viscosity was what I expected it to be - the same as it was when the oil was new. I'm not really concerned with 'wear metal' levels, as long as they're not absurdly high.

Quote:

I see this as an advantage.

I ran the numbers a while back - SAE 40 is thinner than a typical 20W-50 at freezing and above. So in that temperature range, if an engine doesn't have a problem with 20W-50, it won't with an SAE 40.

GREAT, great reply, thanks, now I understand what you were striving for as well as you looking into the viscosity at freezing and above.

Having owned 2 metric bikes before the current one, I fully understand about shift quality after 2000 miles are so and I agree completely, the plain jane 20/50 Valvoline MC oil was very, very, very good at maintaining shift quality @ $5 a quart in Walmart, years ago I post a few UOAs on that oil.

So you have obtained your objective, great work, shift quality held up, yes I would have expected it as well and you confirmed it.
All with little to no increase in wear over other oils.

I truly never have thought about the viscosity of a straight weight oil at 50 degrees or so and higher being the same as a 20/50 multi-weight at 50 degrees and higher. I would love to look at some source of information or can google around myself, very interesting and I do believe you 100%.

As far as the UOA itself, to answer your question on what I think a great UOA looks like, to me and my bikes, great UOA = low wear metals.
So if you were shooting for low iron your UOA shows just average, nothing stellar about it at all BUT taking into account, great shift quality all through the life of the oil its a possible ok trade off. I dont have your bike and do not know what or if its possible to get lower numbers.

What I do not agree with others/most in here is everyone always looking at the zinc numbers ect.
I could care less what Blackstone shows as far as antiwear additives in an oil, that thinking to me is decades old, old man stuff, there are many compounds and oil formulations that can not possibly show up in blackstone reports as far as what is in the oil to prevent wear.

Also in the case of some engines there is such a thing as too much, as this leads to piston and valve deposits, as an example only, piston aircraft engine oils contain NO anti wear metals at all and whatever they do use does not show up in blackstone reports, ex. zinc = 0
So Blackstone can not detect them, piston aircraft makers are concerned about piston deposits leading to engine failure, so no antiwear metals are used, none, zero, zip.

So my feeling is, all these low zinc oils being used by millions of automobiles on the road are not being affective by low zinc as they are more reliable then ever since the internal combustion engine was invented.

To me, to focus solely on zinc is old thinking, in fact the best antiwear agent in ANY motor oil is the oil itself, as a properly designed engine will last a long time and looking for an oil to make up for engine design isnt going to work. But again, in your case, shift quality, yes, I can see that and seeing nothing wrong with the extra zinc but I wouldnt buy the oil for the zinc, I would buy it for the shift quality.

Click = Example, aircraft not falling from sky using oil without anti wear metals

Last edited:
I truly never have thought about the viscosity of a straight weight oil at 50 degrees or so and higher being the same as a 20/50 multi-weight at 50 degrees and higher. I would love to look at some source of information or can google around myself, very interesting and I do believe you 100%.

What I did was download the VR1 spec sheet to get the 40C and 100C viscosities. The VR1 spec sheet lists the specs for all available viscosity grades, and just by looking at those numbers, I saw the SAE 40 was thinner than the 20W-50 at those two temperatures. To get the viscosity numbers at 0C, I used the viscosity-temperature extrapolation calculator here:

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/astm-d341-viscosity-temperature-extrapolation/

Plugging in the numbers for the SAE 40 and 20W-50 grades, I saw the 0C viscosities were close to each other, and significantly below that temperature the SAE 40 numbers skyrocket.

You can play around with the calculator and with enough data points you can plot entire viscosity-temperature curves for any oil you have data for. Note that the calculator is meant for Newtonian fluids (like monograde oils), and oils with VII's behave in a non-Newtonian manner so the calculated viscosities will not be as accurate for multigrade oils. But good enough for comparative purposes - so I'd be able to say with reasonable confidence that the VR1 SAE 40 is thinner than (or at least, no thicker than) the 20W-50 at temperatures above freezing.

Quote:
As far as the UOA itself, to answer your question on what I think a great UOA looks like, to me and my bikes, great UOA = low wear metals.
So if you were shooting for low iron your UOA shows just average, nothing stellar about it at all BUT taking into account, great shift quality all through the life of the oil its a possible ok trade off. I dont have your bike and do not know what or if its possible to get lower numbers.

I see what you mean. For me, if Blackstone says my engine's wear metals are in line with what they've seen on other UOA's of the same engine, I won't lose any sleep over it. On the other hand, if the wear metals were much higher, then I'd be more concerned.

Quote:
I could care less what Blackstone shows as far as antiwear additives in an oil, that thinking to me is decades old, old man stuff, there are many compounds and oil formulations that can not possibly show up in blackstone reports as far as what is in the oil to prevent wear.

Yeah, the engine in my bike is a 4-valve per cylinder DOHC design and while it uses flat tappets, the spring pressures aren't very high so doesn't really require high ZDDP doses anyway.

Quote:
But again, in your case, shift quality, yes, I can see that and seeing nothing wrong with the extra zinc but I wouldnt buy the oil for the zinc, I would buy it for the shift quality.

Agreed. I mainly was interested in the shifting behavior of a monograde oil over an OCI - the added zinc just came along with it. And I was surprised that the actual amounts of ZDDP was significantly higher than the spec sheet indicated.

Originally Posted By: Radman
High ZDDP levels such as those in VR1 were reduced in current oil formulations to prolong catalytic converter life span. If your engine is tight & doesn't burn oil...OR you have removed the catalytic converter there isn't any worry.

No oil burning that I've observed. I'm running the stock exhaust with cat - if/when it comes to time to replace, they go for pretty cheap on Ebay. Good thing there's not too much love for stock pipes!

Quote:
Anyhow, the FZ-09 is an awesome ride. I would really dig owning an XSR900 since the retro version looks way cool!!!

It's a fun little bike, once you overlook or fix the poor stock suspension and fuelling (particularly on the first version).

I bought the FZ when it first came out so the XSR wasn't available then, but when I first saw pics of the XSR I wasn't particularly impressed. Then I saw one of the Anniversary editions in the flesh and thought the same as you - 'way cool'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back