High Positive Fuel Trim -sometimes-

Hi all. When I check the data stream on my code reader from time to time (at idle/warmed up), my fuel trims are always high. However, they are sometimes barely above zero and other times they are as high as +13. They never go into the negative. My MAF sensor usually reports low (below 2.4 gps) and the lower it reports, the higher the positive FT. The lambda ratio is always close to 1 but ever so slightly on the "rich" side. I don't understand why the trims vary so randomly or why they are too high anyway. There are no trouble codes and the engine idles pretty smoothly, although it's sometimes a little rough (vibration) usually only in park. Any ideas for what I should check? I should add the engine was recently rebuilt, but my fuel trims were always somewhat above normal. Any advice is appreciated as always!

Hi all. When I check the data stream on my code reader from time to time (at idle/warmed up), my fuel trims are always high. However, they are sometimes barely above zero and other times they are as high as +13. They never go into the negative. My MAF sensor usually reports low (below 2.4 gps) and the lower it reports, the higher the positive FT. The lambda ratio is always close to 1 but ever so slightly on the "rich" side. I don't understand why the trims vary so randomly or why they are too high anyway. There are no trouble codes and the engine idles pretty smoothly, although it's sometimes a little rough (vibration) usually only in park. Any ideas for what I should check? I should add the engine was recently rebuilt, but my fuel trims were always somewhat above normal. Any advice is appreciated as always!
weak fuel pump/dirty sock?

in tank fuel filter, located on the pump or pickup tube
Right. Again, I hope not lol. The fact that the fluctuation in fuel trim is so random is what's confusing. The car seems to run fine, but the OBD shows it's adjusting for something.

A vacuum leak can cause higher fuel trims and I guess could reduce the amount of air going through the MAF. I've not heard of too many intermittent vacuum leaks, though.

If it matters, I do mostly low-speed city driving and idling. This is the only time i ever check the OBD - parked at idle. I do drive on the interstate occasionally just to stay in shape and she does 80 easily with no hesitation.

A vacuum leak can cause higher fuel trims and I guess could reduce the amount of air going through the MAF. I've not heard of too many intermittent vacuum leaks, though.
I know, it's weird. I'm not sure, but it seems to get worse after driving for a couple of hours. The car feels less peppy after a while, but it could just be fatigue on my part. I'm a delivery driver, BTW.

I hope you are referencing long term trims, not short term ones.Check fuel pressure, try cleaning the MAF. I doubt it is a vacuum leak unless the high fuel trim only occurs at idle and improves at higher engine speeds..

It is possible the catalytic converters gasket get a leak after heating up and air gets in. Resault is an extra fuel trim.

Edit: I have almost same thing with my CRV, but it is to cold to get under for investigation.

Last edited:
I hope you are referencing long term trims, not short term ones.Check fuel pressure, try cleaning the MAF. I doubt it is a vacuum leak unless the high fuel trim only occurs at idle and improves at higher engine speeds..
They are both high (short and long term) but the STFT tends to be higher and they vary throughout the day.
It is possible the catalytic converters gasket get a leak after heating up and air gets in. Resault is an extra fuel trim.

Edit: I have almost same thing with my CRV, but it is to cold to get under for investigation.
I hope not, but I did have to fix a stripped screw in the exhaust that was causing a rattle. Maybe the new cat wasn't installed/torqued properly.

First thing would do for this application is clean the MAF and see what that does.

LTFT last I checked it was at positive 5.5. I also noticed my air intake temperature reads 90 degrees but it's only 45 degrees outside.

With the engine idling, look at the Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT) and Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) values. Normal range may be high as plus or minus 8, but closer to zero is best. If the numbers are +10 or higher for STFT and LTFT, your engine is running LEAN.

Back