High performance (800hp+) for winter and summer - Audi 4.0t

You are about +or - doubling the load on the bearings and wondering if a thicker oil will not get pounded out of the bearings?

interesting topic for sure!! few daily driven cars are high power but smaller engines are more stressed for sure + todays PUSHED thinner oils along with longer drains + fuels with ethanol are prolly NOT good IMO. simply put oil is cheep + more frequent changes are better especially in cold weather + shorter trips!!

you will be fine with m1 5w50 year round, this isn’t anything crazy.
or just stick with 511.00. it is more than enough for this engine

That's why I'd go with Ravenol RUP 5W-40. Carries VW 511 00 and Porsche C40.
Could also try Ravenol RCS 5W-40. No approvals, more ZDDP, slightly thicker.
That said I wouldn't increase power that much. I wouldn't even increase power
at all since the engine isn't designed for it. Sooner or later something will break
and it'll most likely be very expensive. Hope bigger turbos and bigger IC aren't
the only hardware mods. If oil dilution is an issue perform shorter OC intervals.

Thanks guys, I love this community, as a lurker for years there is no better wealth of knowledge for oil than this groups. As requested pics of the engine below, compression on all cylinders are strong in the 180-190 range. Outside of the car looks like any other Audi, perfect sleeper. This is my personal car as I work on car on the side, mostly Audi, GM and Toyota/Lexus. Car comes alive with E, I think majority of the time it will be on a E blend (25-40) so I sticking to 5K Miles’s will probably be the max due to the alcohol dilution.

It seems likes redline 5/0w40 is the favorite, with amsoil SS and M1 5w50 also recommend (thought I heard Motul 300v too). Do you guys know I should be using HTHS as the #1 ranker when it comes to what I am looking for? Like it was mentioned redline 5w40 has a HTHS 4.4… does anyone know if other oils have a higher HTHS that was mentioned?

Also not sure on a 60 weight oil, not saying no but also worried on bearing clearance, last VAG engine i rebuilt, the bearing tolerance was a little bit on the looser side if you compare to say, oem Toyota tolerances, but not full build engine spec. I think this coincides with the premature bearing wear mentioned earlier.

Also want to make a reminder: I am already on Castrol 0w40 euro with a decent hths and cost $22/gal. Just looking to get something better… or maybe change at 3k versus 5k if I won’t see better protection/engine wear from other recommendation out there?

C38F7486-E898-41E9-848C-12D51F37CD6C.jpeg

Attachments

• 845B2CA9-CA46-46F6-B979-90A9D44CE2FE.jpeg
    845B2CA9-CA46-46F6-B979-90A9D44CE2FE.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Also want to make a reminder: I am already on Castrol 0w40 euro with a decent hths and cost $22/gal. Just looking to get something better… or maybe change at 3k versus 5k if I won’t see better protection/engine wear from other recommendation out there?
Motul is one of the popular brands among VAG performance shops from my experience. Both Equilibrium Tuning in CA and Bluewater in CO recommend Motul. The owner of Equilibrium was able to keep a stock block 600whp Golf R together running laps at Thunder hill on the weekends and doing 10 second runs at Sac Dragway Park which was mainly a result of excellent tuning but he also used Motul. Walk into Bluewater and ask them what oil to use and they will say Motul.

Having said all that I ran Mobil 0W-40 at 3k intervals on E30 or 5k if I ran on pump. It would be hard to beat something like https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-...ancid=null&athposb=1&athena=true&athbdg=L1300 at $21 and swap out every 3-4K.

Also not sure on a 60 weight oil, not saying no but also worried on bearing clearance, last VAG engine i rebuilt, the bearing tolerance was a little bit on the looser side if you compare to say, oem Toyota tolerances, but not full build engine spec. I think this coincides with the premature bearing wear mentioned earlier.
Yep, I would only consider a 60 weight for E85. The 50 should be good if you running 2 turbo's at higher boost pressures, lots of heat there and ethanol already reduces the protection of the oil. Whatever way you go just change at 3k miles (5000km) and keep an eye on the turbo screens.

I'd go M1 FS 5w50 winter and 15w50 summer. Could even go for 10w60 in the summer (Liquimoly or Motul 8100) if you want serious MOFT headroom. Rotella no longer carries gas engine specs and a thin 40 like Castrol or Mobil 1 is really pushing your luck.
If I was going for a 10/60. It would have to be Redline

I missed what is the winter temps where you start the car? Homer Alaska and San Diego California cold starting temps oil requirements are quite different.

Back