High performace engine, engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running amazon basics, supertech or kirkland oil in the H.P. engines.
I ask because in a corvette for example, Dexos superceded the old corvette spec and all these are dexos approved oils.

I've always been about name brand oil. Mostly Mobil 1.
I just put Kirkland 5W 30 and my avalanche.
It's not about saving the 5 to 8 bucks over the name brand. I would never miss it.
I'm wondering how many if any people spend 50k plus on a car and trust any lower cost spec aproved oil.

Originally Posted by tblt44
I've always been about name brand oil. Mostly Mobil 1.
I just put Kirkland 5W 30 and my avalanche.
It's not about saving the 5 to 8 bucks over the name brand. I would never miss it.
I'm wondering how many if any people spend 50k plus on a car and trust any lower cost spec aproved oil.

I don't mind using it as long as it meets the specs. Amazon Basics synthetic meets dexos1-gen2 and I've used it in my truck (not exactly a high performance engine but it did cost over $50K). I use SuperTech synthetic in all of my lawn equipment. I've never tried the Kirkland oil.

i don't have the luxury of a $50k automobile, but yes if the oil meets or exceeds the manufacturers requirements i would use it with no hesitation. i am sure there's many dealerships that are highend and purchase bulk drums that are totally not what one would expect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
i don't have the luxury of a $50k automobile, but yes if the oil meets or exceeds the manufacturers requirements i would use it with no hesitation. i am sure there's many dealerships that are highend and purchase bulk drums that are totally not what one would expect.

I expect that's not as prevalent as one might imagine, since an audit by the OEM that yields a non-compliant product could result in a pulling of the dealer's license. After the VW sludge fiasco where Castrol's VW-approved Euro 5w-30 was being skipped in favour of the more pedestrian and not long drain capable North American market Syntec 5w-30 product OEM's are being more vigilant on service fills.

If the oil is approved, yes I would use it. If it only claims to "meets the specifications" and car is still under manufacturer's warranty I would certainly avoid.

No, with the sales and deals and rebates online you can Mobil1 EP or FS or Pennzoil UP or Castrol Edge plus a good filter for $5 more.

You're talking about the 2019 corvette using the M1 0w-40 dexos 2 for the factory fill?

Plenty of corvette guys, at least under warranty, are still using other brand oils, not the M1 0w40 dexos 2.

Originally Posted by silversport
if it meets or exceeds the spec you should be fine...it might only come down to do you trust the maker to provide a good product???...

Bill

If you don't trust, then really ... don't buy.
Products that exclaim exceeds, are always a smarter buy than one that says meet, in the most common, mid-priced market and driving on extended OCIs and especially with a GDI / TGDI engine.

My twice-a-year OCIs for my two vehicles costs me an additional $32 per year. I paid $23 for Ultra versus $15 for Supertech. That's peanuts change in today's world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back