High-mileage oils ability to slow leaks-longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughters '99 1.6L Protege has developed a slow weep (no puddles yet) from the drivers side of the oil pan. It has 69K+ miles currently and doesn't require top-ups between the 3500 mile intervals. I've checked the pan bolts already so I assume it's from the rear main seal. I'm trying Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 to attempt a remedy.

I'm curious if others that have had a similar problem and have been able to slow or eliminate the leak, do you have to continue using high-mileage oils or can you go back to your favorite conventional, "on-sale-this-week" oil once the problem is remedied.

My plan is to try 3 intervals (~10K miles) of Maxlife and if no improvement to next try Castrols High-mileage oil. But, I also hope to be able to go back to conventional dino after a resolution, if indeed it is a seal that can be "restored".

What say ye BITOGers. If improvement is successful, can you go back to regular (cheap) oil without an immediate return of the weepage?

If this has nothing to do with silicone RTV on oil pan seams (in other words: seal related), do a couple of AutoRx and that should fix your problem nicely.

(my Mazda 323 has over 182kkms to date and none of my seals have developed any leaks at all (still originals)

In a Saturn SL2 that I used to own it had a small oil leak from an engine seal. I did an Auto-RX cleaning (I can't remember if I used one or two bottles of Auto-RX-I may actually have done two cleanings) and the seal leak actually stopped. It made me believe in Auto-RX. I tried Valvoline MaxLife HM oil which is supposed to have seal conditioners. The care ran nice with that oil but the leak continued. I also tried a specialty product that was supposed to stop seal leaks. The seal leak continued. Only after the Auto-RX cleaning did the leak actually stop.

You should continue using the MaxLife. Granted, the oil is expensive, but you can get it in a 5qt jug at Wal-Mart for around $11.

I have read where it takes up to a year for HM to stop a leak. I would go ahead and do a clean/rise with Auto-Rx with that many miles on your saturn. If that does not help with the leak go ahead and get new seals installed. Use a HM oil if you like they are a high quality with a bit stronger add pack. Max-life is a true syn-blend to boot!

Maxlife is still the price of sales tax if you get the coupon and act before the deadline. My WM is cheaper if you get a 5 qt case than the $5 gt jug- I don't know why.

"FAR" was one of the reasons for trying this first. I picked up a 5qt jug a couple weeks ago.

I changed her oil last weekend and if I'm not seeing things, it looks like the Maxlife is weeping faster than the Havoline I've been using in her car. I sort of expected this, just hope it's not so much that I have to keep checking her dipstick every few days.

So can anyone shed any light as to if you can return to a regular oil if/when the leak is checked, without it returning in short order?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back