High Mileage Oil Advice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to pick up some Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 on clearance .
While my vehicles don't have any leaks or consume much oil - they do have between 100K and 200K miles on them , so I'm thinking a High Mileage Oil wouldn't hurt ...Your thoughts ? Also , if I want to go back to PYB from a HM oil for the next OCI will there be any issues ?

I would use it without hesitation. You could always mix it with PYB if that makes you more comfortable.

Although, I don't believe that 10W30 will hurt a single thing, what vehicles do you have and do they allow for 10W30 motor oil or, do they only recommend other grades.

Also, being on clearance, what API designation is this oil...SL/GF-3, SM/GF-4, SN/GF-5???

With 100K-200K miles, I'm confident that a 10W30 will be just fine especially in the warmer climates such as GA and during the summer time in general, which we're all in right now(even though autumn seems to be coming early here in Western NY State).

And yes, I also believe that you can switch back & forth between the two anytime you wish. One OCI on HM won't be significant! Penn HM is a very good HM oil. As-good-as PYB with the benefits of the extra additives that make it a HM oil.
smile.gif

And since you can pick up the Penn HM oil on clearance, you may want to buy up the shelf
laugh.gif

No, you shouldn't have a problem. Most high mileage oils simply have more additives. I prefer to run HM oil in my car. I don't have any problems with the care but its good oil.

Thanks for the replies - mainly a summer time oil for a Kia van with 100K + miles on it and a older Jeep 4.0L with twice that mileage ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Thanks for the replies - mainly a summer time oil for a Kia van with 100K + miles on it and a older Jeep 4.0L with twice that mileage ...

The Jeep 4.0L will love the Penn HM 10W30
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yes the 10W-30 grade are usually on sale or clearance in my area as well.
If the car's are spec'd for 5W-30 then the 10W-30 HM is just a somewhat heavier oil primarily on start-up with possibly higher additive levels. If one is doing a lot of long distance driving especially in the hot summer months the disadvantages over a higher VI 5W-30 will be minimal and you could push your OCIs.

For winter use if you're doing a lot of short trips even in GA I would prefer to have any cheap API 5W-30 dino in the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back