High CFM semi portable compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as the title says. I originally had my eyes on a 220 volt vertical unit, but I've come to realize how much I need air in my pole barn's workshop as well as the attached garage so I'd like to be able to roll it to either or.

The main tool I'd like to run is my Aircat 1150. I believe it needs around 8 CFM. I'm currently looking at the $350-ish black compressor from HF (5.9 CFM @ 90 PSI) so at least on paper it doesn't look to be enough air.

Thanks.

Why not look on Craigslist for a used 220v 50 or 60 gallon unit.

I kept looking every day for weeks and scored a 60 gallon Sanborn compressor for $250. Had to drive over an hour to get it, but everyone else was over $450.

I sold my old oiless compressor for $110. Cost for the new wiring to the panel in the garage was $115.

IMO you won't regret having more air available.

I gang up 2 compressors when I need more flow, such as when using the glass bead blaster.

I have a typical 20 gallon compressor with a belt drive two cylinder, oil lubricated unit. That unit is on always. It's enough air for anything other than blasting or using an air powered grinder for my lathe.

To that, I add a direct drive, oil lubricated, HF unit that only runs when I need more volume.

Last edited:
For something that needs air continuously like an air sander or sandblaster you need to consider compressor output CFM pretty carefully. For a pneumatic impact wrench you can give more weight to tank size. So one option is to find a used tank and add it to the HF compressor you are considering. What about an air line to pole barn? A tank in each building and roll just what you get from HF? Compressor in one building and cordless impact in the other?

Look at the Eastwood scroll compressors - very impressive for the size noise and cost.

Last edited:
Buy the biggest compressor with the biggest tank you can. Buy an IR or Quincy. Mortgage the house or sell your blood. Buy the compressor and run pipe to your garage or barn.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quincy-7-5HP-80Gal-QP-MAX-Pressure-Lube-Reciprocating-Compressor-200V-3-Phase-V/401794287676?hash=item5d8cce483c:g:BhwAAOSwGKJdEELu

Originally Posted by Cujet
I gang up 2 compressors when I need more flow, such as when using the glass bead blaster.

I have a typical 20 gallon compressor with a belt drive two cylinder, oil lubricated unit. That unit is on always. It's enough air for anything other than blasting or using an air powered grinder for my lathe.

To that, I add a direct drive, oil lubricated, HF unit that only runs when I need more volume.

Never thought about ganging them up.

Would 2 identical compressors that produce say 5 CFM at 90 PSI equal 10 CFM at 90 PSI?

Always overshoot on your air supply, especially if you use it a lot (and you will once you have it). I scored a 60 gallon IR twin cylinder at tractor supply brand new on sale for $650. It runs just about anything I throw at it but does work hard when I had a big blast cabinet.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Buy the biggest compressor with the biggest tank you can. Buy an IR or Quincy. Mortgage the house or sell your blood. Buy the compressor and run pipe to your garage or barn.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quincy-7-5HP-80Gal-QP-MAX-Pressure-Lube-Reciprocating-Compressor-200V-3-Phase-V/401794287676?hash=item5d8cce483c:g:BhwAAOSwGKJdEELu

I like your style but no one ever listens buy the biggest one ever needed you'll never regret it I know I didn't. But I never complain of being out of air either ever.

In looking at the Aircat specs (nice impact, by the way), while it says 8 CFM, that's for continuous use. If you give the compressor time to run after, say, doing a set of lug bolts, then I think you can get away with a smaller compressor for that tool.

My IR 2235TiMAX Impact specifies a similar CFM. But I can do a whole set of wheel bolts/lugs and the compressor doesn't even start up.

My compressor is a 15 year old, oil-less, inexpensive Sears, rated at 5HP (a complete exaggeration, like all electric motor claims) with a 35 gallon tank. Not nearly what guys are recommending, but more than enough to run an impact gun.

Originally Posted by Astro14
In looking at the Aircat specs (nice impact, by the way), while it says 8 CFM, that's for continuous use. If you give the compressor time to run after, say, doing a set of lug bolts, then I think you can get away with a smaller compressor for that tool.

Sometimes intermittent tools such as impacts are rated for 25% duty cycle.

Originally Posted by Rand

So, you would need 2 CFM for the Aircat?

Or is the 8CFM taking the lower duty cycle into account?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Cujet

Never thought about ganging them up.

Would 2 identical compressors that produce say 5 CFM at 90 PSI equal 10 CFM at 90 PSI?

Yes, that's exactly what happens.

In my case the 20 gal American made compressor is rated lower but actually performs better and is significantly quieter.

Nevermind the Pump CFM for a minute......If you have 80 gallons worth of 150psi air.....Your pretty much limited by the Regulator/Lines/Hoses/Fittings. When you do start to exhaust the volume, That's when Pump CFM matters (Tank fill time). Unless your sandblasting or using a tool that takes tons of air like a Sander, Big Air Hammer, or Die Grinder.....You won't be using the Pump's CFM very often.

I would seriously consider running some air line between your Barn & Garage.

Sounds like a 3.7hp 60 Gallon vertical & maybe even a 30-60 gallon storage tank would be ideal for you. High flow 3/4" ball valves on the storage tank will keep it charged so you don't have to fill the extra volume everytime.

A 5hp 2-Stage 80 Gallon vertical/horizontal would be even better, But more expensive & you really need a Magnetic Starter for 5hp & up motors.

Running a line between the 2 buildings is about 300'.

I'm sure it's doable, but no thanks.

I do take this to mean I should just stick with the larger compressor and maybe a smaller one to keep in the barn.

I bought a HF compressor and then got scared and took it back. Nice motor and pump. No ASME stamp on that big tank. For $20 more found a similar Porter Cable unit at Tractor Supply. It has the ASME stamp on the tank. I sleep a little better at night. I also so much prefer belt drive due to the easier noise level.

Originally Posted by Rand

So, you would need 2 CFM for the Aircat?

Or is the 8CFM taking the lower duty cycle into account?

This chart, and more importantly the fine print below is most useful.

https://www.haringacompressor.com/compressed-air-consumption/

It claims that a 3/8-1/2" impact uses 12-25cfm at full throttle and full load. It applies the 20% duty cycle and then the machine's required cfm at pressure is only 1/5th.

Everything done with air can be done cordless. Why even go air? It is obsolete tech. Buy a backup gen set. and run cordless from a good brand.

Air hammers & Blow guns.....2 things that batteries can't replace. I would argue that you can't replace a air powered 1/2" drive impact in a high duty cycle environment.

My peers have been trying to go full cordless for years, While they can do 80% of their tasks with batteries......One of them must admit defeat almost daily & roll out a air hose to get the job done. It actually waste's time to hammer on a fastener for to long.....Then accept defeat.

Don't get me wrong, I have a 3/8" drive Impact, 1/4" Hex Impact, 1/4" Hex screwdriver, 3/8" drive Ratchet, & a 1/4" drive Ratchet.....All battery powered & I love them.

I would also argue, that for the infrequent tool user, air will be cheaper over the years. LiON tools are great, but the batteries degrade no matter what care you take and they're not cheap to replace. If you're using your tools every day to make money, then I'd say that is a good use case for lighter, easier to use battery driven tools. If you're a shadetree mechanic working on his own stuff infrequently then it doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back