Hi, newbie with gear oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm based in the UK and about to change out the gear oil in an Hyundai i10 - manual box (not a model that's sold in the USA to my knowledge).

The gearbox oil specification cited by Hyundai is "API Service GL-4 SAE 75W/85".

Would I be ok using Castrol 75W90 Syntrans Multivehicle Oil? (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-castrol-...x-s-75w-85.aspx)

Many thanks in advance
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yeap. that Syntrans should work fine. Just avoid any that says GL-5 if you vehicle specifies GL-4. GL-5 is not backward compatible with GL-4 due to different friction modifiers they put in.

I personally use Redline gear oil.

Cheers guys. I was a little concerned about the higher SAE from 85 to 90.

I'm hoping this will calm down a minor noise under load when the car is fully up to temp. It’s very much like a cross between pinking and a mild grating that occurs in 3rd,4th and 5th (sounds like two washers rattling together very fast - but quietly). To the trained ear, you can hear it when accelerating in 3rd, but hardly noticeable in 4th and 5th.

Dealer once said it could be the syncro.

A few of the i10s have this issue and different gear oil calms it down somewhat.

The Castrol synthetic called Synthrax is an excellent product for use in a differential LS or not. The 75W-140 version is what Jaguar and BMW recommend for use in their differentials since 1999. I suspect that their Syntrans transmission product is pretty high quality as well.

Last edited:
Hi,
Castrol Syntrax and Syntrans lubricants are excellent products - amongst the very best available!

If the application mandates a GL4 that's what you must use - the lightest viscosity recommended too of course

Last edited:
I'll be replacing it within the next 10 days, so will post back with any changes (if any ) that I notice.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back