Here we go. 96 Outback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now I have a 1996 Subaru Outback. Ok, it was my fiancee's car, and now it's OUR Outback. I just got a wife and a Subaru. I think I win at life.

*ahem* Back to the car. It's got 113K and in decent shape for a 12 year old Subaru. Has a mild weep at the rear main, but nothing serious. Only burns oil on long highway trips, otherwise it'll only use >1-1.5 quarts per 3-5k OCI. Basically, I've taken over car care from the girl, so it's TLC time. Read: "You don't know when [insert preventative care care item] was replaced? It will be this weekend! Hahahaa!"

My plan: the basic Auto-RX dose plan. Clean. Rinse. Clean. Rinse. Then onto the maintanence dosage. I'll be using Castrol GTX or Pennzoil YB 5w30 for this...whoever's on the better sale, with Wix oil filters.

I'll report back in here. We don't have very long distances as part of our normal routine, so it'll take a good year just to do the 2 cycles. But I'll enjoy knowing I've got a good clean engine.

I love the Outback Steakhouse! I kind of like Outback cars as well. If the oil change history is unknown using the AutoRx isn't a bad idea at all. Have you though about using it in the transmission as well?

I'm doing the ARX for 2 reasons. 1: It's a 12 year old car with over 100k. 2: While it's had a steady 3-4k OCI for the past several years, it was always done at a oil lube place, so it got the house specials. Usually Castrol or Valvoline around here. No more! Mine now. Mwah ha ha.

I'm not exceptionally worried about the tranny fluid right now. Due to the blasted Duty C solenoid failure this summer, the car has tranny fluid that is less than 5k old. Granted, I don't know what kind of fluid [repair was done while fiancee was in another state for the summer] but at least it's fresh. I'll probably swap it out with Amsoil ATF when it's next due for service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure it's the rear main? If it's a 2.2L (EJ22), the right rear camshaft seal is a VERY common leak. $4 and 10 minutes is all it takes to fix it.

We've got 8 Subarus (two of them are EJ22 powered) in the family fleet.

Dave

Eddie,
TB was done about 2 years ago when the valve covers were replaced. Not due again for another 35k or so.

n8wvi,
Yup, it's the rear main. We've got the 2.5 engine. It doesn't leave any puddles or anything, just a wet looking area. I'm hoping the ARX will knock off this annoying consumption issue on long interstate trips.

Check to see if the crankcase breathing apparatus is functioning properly as well. This can cause some seal weepage.

If the seal is just dirtied up a bit, then I would suspect that the cleaning and rinse should take care of it. I would expect results during the later part of the rinse cycle.

DELAY!!!

While prepping the car for the tune up in which the ARX was going in...I discover Bad News.

Blown headgaskets. *sigh* So the car is in the shop getting $$$ repairs right not.

ARX will start once it comes home.

Hey Frank or anyone else, should I wait any length of time to let the new gaskets seal before I start the ARX cycle? Or will it be good to go as soon as it comes back?

tweeker43,
Already a member there, just with a different username. Love that sight!

sprintman,
The lawsuit is typically for the late 1999-2002 2.5 that developes the external peeping leak, my 1996 has an internal leak that isn't covered under their recall.

Have a 5 sp. 95 outback 2.2l with 182k miles and runs like new but a bit noisier than new (no problems so far, just normal maint.). Have a friend who has 293k on a 2.2l impreza and that thing still runs like new. Noticed increased power after autorx 2 bottle dose (on second rinse phase now). Have had to change filter every 200-400 miles in rinse phases (bogs down, lifter noise when filter is plugged). So auto rx is freeing up something in there that is for sure. Can also see fine black particles when changing oil.

12 year-old car with 113k miles? I wouldn't spend the $$$ doing a headgasket on that one! Car has become a huge toilet for money - just wait 'till more stuff starts going wrong!

Good luck! :p

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
tweeker43,
Already a member there, just with a different username. Love that sight!

sprintman,
The lawsuit is typically for the late 1999-2002 2.5 that developes the external peeping leak, my 1996 has an internal leak that isn't covered under their recall.

me too.
LOL.gif
(sixfifty)

and you are right about the head gasket leak, which my last subie had. and i was on my way to pick up a bottle of "cooling system conditioner" when my car got totalled.

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
12 year-old car with 113k miles? I wouldn't spend the $$$ doing a headgasket on that one! Car has become a huge toilet for money - just wait 'till more stuff starts going wrong!

Good luck! :p

113k isn't bad for a car of this age in my book. And it's a Subaru...I expect another 100k out of it after this...unless it rusts out first! Also, it's our primary vehicle and it's cheaper to fix than buy a new car, we're broke newlyweds.
LOL.gif

Just did the HGs on my 04 with about 105k. Had the dealer do it, and replaced clutch and flywheel at the same time. $2k was hard to swallow, but it is done with. What could possibly go wrong now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back