Here I go again.New ford truck burning 5w20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

I mainly visit here for the entertainment and the popcorn is unbeatable...
35.gif

Originally Posted By: TFB1
35.gif

It's better with a beer.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: 229
Would you say the V10 does not have a history of oil consumption?

I don't think the oil consumption is an issue, BUT it's fuel consumption for commercial vehicles is truly historic! I presume it's a great engine for petrol fuel trucks.
The RV folks only move twice a year following the seasons, unless they do some double act with a fuel truck, so they can bulk buy fuel on the move.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: TFB1
35.gif

It's better with a beer.
cheers3.gif

Well yeah, that goes without saying...

Now bring on the dancing girls...

WOw,this post really took off.I been checking the oil every day out of fear but the level has been fine.What I did notice is the the dipstick always pops out like an inch ,wont set in and seal.Wonder if that has anything to do with the oil usage.Every day on the way out of NYC I take the willaims burg bridge.Rite before I get on the bridge there is a lite i always get caught at and i,m first at the lite.I put the tranny on tow haul and floor the truck all the way to the top of the bridge.the engine races up to about 5000 rpms on the first four gears.Hoping this sets the rings.Send ing the truck in the end of next week for a few issues.Engine has a rough idle ,all the clamps on the hoses are rusting,side trim on the door pillars are missing with all sorts of wires exposed,truck pulls to the right,tranny has a rough shift between first and second gear when get off the gas,back roll up door when u lift all the way,impossible to close.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
WOw,this post really took off.I been checking the oil every day out of fear but the level has been fine.What I did notice is the the dipstick always pops out like an inch ,wont set in and seal.Wonder if that has anything to do with the oil usage.Every day on the way out of NYC I take the willaims burg bridge.Rite before I get on the bridge there is a lite i always get caught at and i,m first at the lite.I put the tranny on tow haul and floor the truck all the way to the top of the bridge.the engine races up to about 5000 rpms on the first four gears.Hoping this sets the rings.Send ing the truck in the end of next week for a few issues.Engine has a rough idle ,all the clamps on the hoses are rusting,side trim on the door pillars are missing with all sorts of wires exposed,truck pulls to the right,tranny has a rough shift between first and second gear when get off the gas,back roll up door when u lift all the way,impossible to close.

That doesn't sound like a brand-new truck dude, it sounds like you got screwed by the dealer or something.

The hose clamps on my Expedition look like NEW... in the RUST BELT, and they are 11 years old.......

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: nickaluch

That doesn't sound like a brand-new truck dude, it sounds like you got screwed by the dealer or something.

The hose clamps on my Expedition look like NEW... in the RUST BELT, and they are 11 years old.......

+1 Doesn't sound like a new truck to me either.

Hilarious thread to revisit after so long.

One poster at the beginning leapt to the conclusion that because the dealer suggested 30 weight oil that HAD to mean a flaw with 20 weight oil.

Now that same poster says "Report back in 10k". Yeah yeah I know you're allowed to change your mind, or should I say your "JMO".

And then the OP pops back up and describes his "new" truck as if its been recovered from the Hudson.

So anyone can get the whole of BITOG going on a thin oil thread with any story and pop back later to start clarifying some important information.

My Prius just got 76mpg on 20w60 you know ........

Originally Posted By: FoxS

And then the OP pops back up and describes his "new" truck as if its been recovered from the Hudson.

OK, this has me laughing out loud!!!
grin.gif

One poster at the beginning leapt to the conclusion that because the dealer suggested 30 weight oil that HAD to mean a flaw with 20 weight oil.

Now that same poster says "Report back in 10k". Yeah yeah I know you're allowed to change your mind, or should I say your "JMO".

So anyone can get the whole of BITOG going on a thin oil thread with any story and pop back later to start clarifying some important information.

Hey Mark, at it again? I've been ignoring you the past few days, just thought I'd check in. Why not read the evolution of the thread, and stop taking my comments out of context for the sake of trying to start a fight. You might have fooled the mods, but there are a lot of people who spotted your reincarnation. Consider yourself lucky those members aren't mods. Cheers!

20/60 in a Prius, mine Gott! It's not made by the "Use 5/20 or else" Ford folks!

After having read some comparisons between what the Ford warranty approvals for oil say and what they are using, in combination with reading and comparing oil approvals from Volvo for their 2.0 Ford diesels (They list a series of oils from 0/30 to 15/40 for different conditions when Ford just stick to the thin oil song), I have lost faith in any oil grade approvals from Ford. That is a sad state of affairs where a major US vehicle manufacturer who makes some good engines is forced into telling the public a story rather than the engineering related truth about which oil and OCI to use.
It does appear that you can cross check Ford recommendations by either checking the UK or German major brand engine oil company oil finder guides and seeing what is listed in the oil section of your warranty.

As regards the Prius 20/60 fan, I suspect a top quality 0/20 or 30 is best unless you have a good pre heater. Oddly enough one of the Volvo million mile plus club chaps has moved from 10/40 Magnetec to Castrol HM 15/40 due to a few minor oil leaks, but he has a full block heater.

Last edited:
These engines with their low tension oil rings consume oil most of their lives. It may even be the reason some of the 2V versions last several 100K miles due to the upper cylinder lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back