HEMI Oil Leak

How do you expect a mechanic to diagnose the problem if he can't drive it? Do you not test drive any of your customer's cars?
Who said anything about not letting the mechanic drive it? I can tell you things that have happened with mechanics driving cars that caused the mechanic problems sometimes for no reason.
One poor guy was accused of causing a bent valve when he drove the customers car, it was being diagnosed for a misfire, the customer said it was not that bad before he drove it and the mechanic must have beat on it.
On the other side of that coin in the years I have been doing this I have seen some mechanics beat the hell out of customer cars.

No mechanic has ever worked on my car only a few times when I physically couldn't but it was a friend of mine and I was there. I take the person in the car with me which is a good thing, they can describe to me as we drive the issue in more detail also after the repair.
I do all my own diagnostics and know exactly what has to be done to repair it even under warranty. If its at a dealer, I usually know the dealer and work it out with them.

I don't do much customer work anymore I am 63 but when I do I just say okay lets take a ride, I will plug this in and ride along so I can record and see if anything shows up on the tool. If they don't like it go somewhere else (they don't), same thing when its done, I refuse to let myself get hooked up. JM2C

Funny story about test driving cars. I worked at 5 different dealerships, we had lot boys and techs beat the living **** out of customer's cars. In fact it was a common event. Oil leak they can't find? Bring it in let them add dye, drive a week and come back. Regarding test drives, take a ride with the tech, or hope that the car is not neglected in your absence. I trust a local mom and pop shop more than a dealership based on my experience. Not all people are bad, but a lot are, I like to lower the risk.

You have more faith in others than I. No way, no now, not ever will some dealership monkey drive my car.
Ehh. Brand new C8 Corvette? Sure.

Random ass run of the mill Ram truck? They aren't going to care about flogging the crap out of it.

Who said anything about not letting the mechanic drive it?
You said "none ever has." I understood it as you would never let anyone at dealership or repair shop drive your car. You're a mechanic, so you're obviously in a different position. The rest of us don't have that luxury.

I honestly would perform the repair myself, probably a little yellow pipe thread sealer will do the trick. I wouldn’t even mind paying for the sensor and changing it myself while still under warranty, provided it’s not priced outrageously.

I try to expose my vehicles as little to techs and mechanics as possible.

I honestly would perform the repair myself, probably a little yellow pipe thread sealer will do the trick. I wouldn’t even mind paying for the sensor and changing it myself while still under warranty, provided it’s not priced outrageously.

I try to expose my vehicles as little to techs and mechanics as possible.
I considered it, but the truck is there for a few other warranty items anyway so I might as well let them handle the situation. They are also pulling the dash for an A/C repair/update so this minor oil leak is a miniscule issue compared to the other work being done.

... They are also pulling the dash for an A/C repair/update so this minor oil leak is a miniscule issue compared to the other work being done.

Did the tell you what was happening with the HVAC system that requires this? Hate the thought of pulling the dash on a basically new truck, even for someone who's good at it.

I had no idea this was a thing and I follow Ram stuff pretty closely.
It is a DT issue and only for the trucks built from launch until 9/20.

As an alternative to pulling the dash, this is the aftermarket workaround:

I just get more and more scared off from newer vehicles. This thing is being restored. :(

Ehh. Brand new C8 Corvette? Sure.

Random ass run of the mill Ram truck? They aren't going to care about flogging the crap out of it.
Almost every dealership has a least one monkey that will beat the daylight out of anything that isn't theirs. Believe me in 50 years of doing this I have seen more than most people will see in more lifetimes. Customers can be just as bad or worse when it comes to hooking someone for a repair.
The old saying "cover your own arse" applies. Just my experience.

Almost every dealership has a least one monkey that will beat the daylight out of anything that isn't theirs. Believe me in 50 years of doing this I have seen more than most people will see in more lifetimes. Customers can be just as bad or worse when it comes to hooking someone for a repair.
The old saying "cover your own arse" applies. Just my experience.
Sure, there’s always exceptions to the rule. That goes without saying.

This issue has been resolved. Here is the series of events:

- The dealer kept the truck for a week, drove it over 100 miles, and said all of the oil was residue from the prior repair. I re-cleaned the area myself, drove it for several miles, and the leak reoccurred. 🤔

- I traced oil leakage to the oil temp sensor which was on top of the oil filter adapter/warmer. So I removed the sensor, added sealant and reinstalled. This did not result in any improvement.

- I purchased a new sensor (05149077AB) and torqued it to the specified 20 ft lbs. Area was recleaned. The amount of oil dripping was significantly reduced, but it appeared to be coming from the oil filter adapter/warmer. I cleaned the area several times over the course of several hundred miles and the oil leak kept reoccurring.

- I ordered a replacement oil filter adapter/warmer from the dealer. The part that I arrived looked like it was mishandled. I returned it and asked them to order me another one; the second replacement was fine.

- I installed the new oil filter adapter/warmer and torqued the adapter fitting to 21 ft lb. Also replaced a nicked oil cooler hose (that was only sold with a new lower radiator hose assembly). I degreased and hosed down the entire underside of the truck with a garden hose. After almost 1,000 miles of driving, it has remained bone dry. I am consider the oil leak to be fixed.
1DE0C709-9377-4091-BF0B-98C407E801F8.jpeg

Nice, sometimes it is better to just bite the bullet and take care of things yourself instead of letting the dealer mess around and possibly brake something else.
To their credit, they did complete the a/c repair (which required dash removal) almost flawlessly. I guess their tech is better at dash r/r’s than oil leaks.

Back