Hemi MDS jumper harness issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes the 5th MDS jumper harness I've replaced due to rotted wiring insulation, All being over 150,000 miles.

Just a heads up if you encounter MDS Solenoid circuit or VVT Solenoid circuit DTC's & assume it's a solenoid problem....Check the jumper harness!

This one DID have a open solenoid winding on the #1 MDS Solenoid.....But it looks like the owner was clearing the codes often enough to finally smoke the solenoid. (Code reader in the passenger floorboard)

2013 Dodge Durango Citadel with 167,xxx miles.

FCA/Chrysler Corp. likes to control components with Power instead of Ground like most manufactures.....Leaving the PCM to manage Shorts & Over Amperage situations. Where it should be fuse protected on the Power side of the component!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great point for folks who have excessive faith in diagnostic devices. Many times it is simply a bad connection for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
This makes the 5th MDS jumper harness I've replaced due to rotted wiring insulation, All being over 150,000 miles.

FCA/Chrysler Corp. likes to control components with Power instead of Ground like most manufactures.....Leaving the PCM to manage Shorts & Over Amperage situations. Where it should be fuse protected on the Power side of the component!

This is exactly why I avoid FCA/Chrysler vehicles

^^^Hahaha! Almost fell out of my chair.

Yep, 5 (or even a dozen) new gen Hemis get a wire harness and it's a monstrous failure problem. I wonder if anyone knows how many have been produced? Millions perhaps?

My sig car (06 6.1 Hemi) has been bouncing off its 6600 rpm limiter for just shy of 100k miles now, over 200 drag strip passes with a 12.56 this year, dozens of road course track days, and tons of high speed passes with absolutely no engine problems of any kind.

Boy, FCA really sucks. My RAM at 90k miles is really bad, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Yep, 5 (or even a dozen) new gen Hemis get a wire harness and it's a monstrous failure problem. I wonder if anyone knows how many have been produced? Millions perhaps?

My sig car (06 6.1 Hemi) has been bouncing off its 6600 rpm limiter for just shy of 100k miles now, over 200 drag strip passes with a 12.56 this year, dozens of road course track days, and tons of high speed passes with absolutely no engine problems of any kind.

SRT8-
he never said it was a "monstrous failure problem" or that FCA "really sucks". He was simply giving a heads up for anyone encountering this issue. Very helpful unlike your criticism, BTW

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

SRT8-
he never said it was a "monstrous failure problem" or that FCA "really sucks". He was simply giving a heads up for anyone encountering this issue. Very helpful unlike your criticism, BTW

I believe his post was meant to be a reply to the post above his made by @Lynctex.

Just a heads up if you encounter MDS Solenoid circuit or VVT Solenoid circuit DTC's & assume it's a solenoid problem....Check the jumper harness!

This one DID have a open solenoid winding on the #1 MDS Solenoid.....But it looks like the owner was clearing the codes often enough to finally smoke the solenoid. (Code reader in the passenger floorboard)

2013 Dodge Durango Citadel with 167,xxx miles.

Have you noticed wire harness issue on other Chrysler products of that vintage? I've got a customer that has a 13 Wrangler and it's harness has suffered multiple problems like what you depict. Insulation cracking and falling off.

Get your glasses on, Nuke. LOL. His post had "Re: clinebarger" in the subject line,

Yeah, but he added these, ^^^, which means he's referencing the post above without quoting it.

Originally Posted by The_Eric

Have you noticed wire harness issue on other Chrysler products of that vintage? I've got a customer that has a 13 Wrangler and it's harness has suffered multiple problems like what you depict. Insulation cracking and falling off.

Most of the FCA product I work on have a Hemi or a Cummins. Haven't really noticed anything other than this. It's interesting that the insulation used on the jumper harness is different than what's used on the rest of the harness! The insulation was fine on the main harness side.

If FCA is using that type insulation in other product lines as part of the main engine harness.....I can certainly see it being an issue!

Get your glasses on, Nuke. LOL. His post had "Re: clinebarger" in the subject line,

Which is what happens when you just click "reply" rather than quoting the person above you. Obviously it was directed at Linctex.

Originally Posted by The_Eric

Most of the FCA product I work on have a Hemi or a Cummins. Haven't really noticed anything other than this. It's interesting that the insulation used on the jumper harness is different than what's used on the rest of the harness! The insulation was fine on the main harness side.

If FCA is using that type insulation in other product lines as part of the main engine harness.....I can certainly see it being an issue!

Good to know! Have you seen reference to a TSB or anything that might indicate that corporate is aware of the issue?

Didn't see any TSB's......TSB's are usually born from warranty claims, Manufactures don't much care about a pattern failure on a out of warranty vehicle.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Makes me wonder if it is a side effect of the switch to soy-based wire insulation.

We do a lot of rodent damage fixes here. They love the insulation that Ford uses. FWIW whenever we pull intakes the techs usually ask me to get any jumper harnesses, usually for knock sensors or cylinder head temp sensors just in case.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Makes me wonder if it is a side effect of the switch to soy-based wire insulation.

We do a lot of rodent damage fixes here. They love the insulation that Ford uses. FWIW whenever we pull intakes the techs usually ask me to get any jumper harnesses, usually for knock sensors or cylinder head temp sensors just in case.

I was watching an SMA video one day and he was repairing some rodent damage and used some tape that Honda specifically made to deter them. Loaded with capsaicin I believe. Nothing like creating something that causes other problems to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back