Helpme pick winter oil /filter for04 Toyota Solara

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the replies everyone. I was concerned that the 0W30 will be too thick, but since almost everyone said that it will be fine, that's what I'll go with. Filter will probably be the bosch if it fits and if not I'll just pick one randomly.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Hello everyone,
It's been a while, but it's now time for my winter oil change. Car is in sig. I have 5+ qts of all the oil listed below and they were all bought around the same time. I just wanted to know which would provide the best protection, gas mileage, easy start ups(best overall for a long winter). Oil will be changed mid October and will not be out before May of next year. I'm located in Long Island if that helps and I'll be doing about 50% highway driving to college and the rest is a 1 mile drive to my new job at pepboys. The car does get to around 45 miles an hour for a minute or two since pepboys is on a service road when going to work.

1. Valvoline Synpower 5W30

2. Valvoline Syn HM 5w30

3. Castrol Edge 0W30 (belgium)

4. Castrol Magnatec (semi syn) 5W30

5. Castrol Edge HM 5W30

6. Pennzoil Ultra 5W30

Oil Filters

1. Fram TG4386

2. Royal Purple 10-2840

3. Mobil 1 M103

4. Motorcraft with the silicone ADBV Long version

5. Napa Silver

6. Also I have a bosch distance plus D3330

Thanks!
T

Just use what you use during the summer.
I read a few good oil articles about summer/winter oil. They ALL stated the same thing, but in their own individual words, that whatever you use during the summer is just as good to use during the winter. I seem to agree.

Why can't you decide for yourself?
It's only oil.
If you need someone to tell you then just go by the owners manual.

As several have said, any of the oils would be just fine.
AS for the filters, I would not use the Motorcraft filter, but all the others are fine.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
how is 0w syn to thick? ???

The 0w-30 Castrol Edge is a thicker 30 wt oil compared to may other xw-30 oils.

Long Island never gets too cold in winter, never see's below zero with an average low temp of 25 degrees its even a rare occurrence if it ever hits the signal digits.
I would buy the most cost effective 5/30 of the group and same goes for the filter that is on sale.

If none on sale, then simply Supertech oil and filter.

Last edited:
Any of those would work just fine.

I had an '02 Durango 4.7 when I lived in Chicago and used QS conventional and orange can Fram, same as when I drove it in Texas.

I never noticed any difference in cold weather performance.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
As several have said, any of the oils would be just fine.
AS for the filters, I would not use the Motorcraft filter, but all the others are fine.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
how is 0w syn to thick? ???

The 0w-30 Castrol Edge is a thicker 30 wt oil compared to may other xw-30 oils.

Just curious, why would you not recommend using a MC oil filter?
21.gif

I have been using MC oil filters for years and on every engine one was used on the engine didn't fall out, explode, catapult from between the fenders, etc.
grin.gif

Most likely because motorcraft is made by Tearolator. Car51 used a few on his car (same engine as mine) I believe the fl400s and it was fine. I haven't been on much but, I think the motorcraft filters a fairing a little bit better than the regular purolator filters.

Also I actually have all of these oils, just wanted to know which would be better overall paired with the filters I already have.

Most likely will run the BC 0W30 and the bosch D3421. Has the same specs as a fram 3600, but higher bypass setting. I was going to use the Royal Purple since it is very very similar to the amsoil Ea filter, but I like fact that the bosch has a higher oil capacity since she tends to burn oil. Sometimes a small amount, sometimes a lot depending on the oil and driving conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back