Helping a friend out (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let my friend borrow my car to take his newborn (four to five weeks premature) daughter home from the hospital because the A/C in his Explorer (the only car they have right now because the other was recently totaled) is inoperable, one window is stuck partially down, that trip required some freeway travel with possible stop and go, and the outside temps were in the mid to upper 80s. They drove the Explorer to the hospital so I drove it back to their house for them. When I got behind the wheel, I noticed that the sticker on the windshield said that the next service was due in July 2012! I know this friend is not so great with car maintenance, but thought surely that he had not gone a year (or 9 months if that interval was based on 3 months/3,000 miles) past due so I decided to do some investigating. I stopped for gas and checked the oil color and level (dark but not too bad, nothing on the dipstick after wiping and re-inserting), coolant level (about two quarts low), air filter condition (dirty as all get-out), and tire pressure (each about 10-15 psi low). Holy cow!

I filled the tires at the gas station and added some water to the coolant reservoir to bump up the fluid level halfway between the original level and full line as I did not want to dilute the coolant too much and just need to add coolant to get it up to full and have the proper ratio. When I got home I used up some of my stash of G-Oil to get the oil level back up to the low line on the dipstick as I wanted to add oil but didn't feel the need to top it up all of the way due to the need for an oil change anyway. That took two quarts, meaning that the vehicle was three quarters short with only a six quart capacity. Ouch! I drove it a bit after that and then discovered what appeared to be an oil leak that worked its way down the seam between the transmission bell housing and the engine block. (I am now questioning that because the good sized stain on the driveway has disappeared. Maybe G-Oil biodegrades that quickly?) I know what some of you are thinking: I should not have done anything to the vehicle because I can now get blamed for anything that goes wrong. I thought that as well, particularly after seeing the fresh oil stain on my driveway. I told my friend what I had done and about the leak and he said that he knows he really sucks at keeping up on car maintenance and that the Explorer leaked before. I did not see any oil stains on his driveway so maybe running so low on oil and for so long kept the oil from reaching the leaking gasket and/or it was too thick to leak out!

Well, I'm in elbow-deep as it is, so I thought I would dive a bit deeper and offered to change the oil for my friend and burn up some of my stash (because they are tight on money and partially so I can justify purchasing more
whistle.gif
). The engine is spec'd for 5w-20 but the oil change sticker from the nearby Ford dealer stated that they had used 5w-30. I have a stash of Valvoline MaxLife NextGen and G-Oil syn, both in 5w-30. Which should I use? My thought is that the G-Oil is probably thinner and would therefore be closer to the 5w-20 spec but it is ester based and may clean up some gunk on the gaskets and reveal a few leaks. The Valvoline is a HM oil so it may help clean up after the vehicle's life of abuse (internals viewed through the fill hole looked surprising clean!) and keep leaks at bay due to the seal conditioners, but is thicker.

Details on the vehicle and use: Ford Explorer, unknown year (2002?), 4.6L V8, unknown miles (digital odo is broken, but probably well north of 100k), mostly driven 10-20 mile highway trips, often at speeds of 75+ mph.

My brother only adds oil after it drops of the stick. Yeah. Well lets just say the last oil change had 47k miles on it, qsgb 10w30 with aap oil treatment. It had for sure 45fl oz of oil treatment also use as make up. I dumped that worn out tar and put in maxlife nextgen 5w20 and purelator filter. Went from a quart to fuel topoff to one quart every 3,700 miles.

Ken

I'd use the max life. It may help the leak.
But now lets get to your friend. I suggest chastising him to the extreme. He has a baby now,which may or may not need immediate medical attention due to being so premature so that vehicle is the child's lifeline.
That vehicle HAS TO RUN no matter what in case of emergency.
You are a good friend for taking it upon yourself to maintain his vehicle,and you can run straight water in the cooling system in the summertime. In fact the engine will dissipate heat faster with a higher concentration of water due to coolants lower boiling point.
You need to stress the importance of vehicle maintenance now that there is a child involved. What if an emergency situation arises and the rear main seal decides to fail completely. How far is he gonna get with no oil in the pan.
If your friend is oblivious to auto maintenance then I suggest getting 100 a month out of him,and buy whatever is required to maintain his vehicle and take it upon yourself to do a monthly inspection for him.
That vehicle is that child's lifeline,failure is not an option.
Use the max life in hopes that the seal conditioners help the failing rear main seal,as well as any other potential problem and do a monthly inspect if you have the time.

I went to check a co workers oil yesterday and it looked as if it was just below the minimum line but adding a quart only brought it up to halfway between the cross hatch. His capacity is only 3.7 quarts so he only had just over two quarts in the system.

I would use the high mileage. The engine will work fine on 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'd use the max life. It may help the leak.
But now lets get to your friend. I suggest chastising him to the extreme. He has a baby now,which may or may not need immediate medical attention due to being so premature so that vehicle is the child's lifeline.
That vehicle HAS TO RUN no matter what in case of emergency.
You are a good friend for taking it upon yourself to maintain his vehicle,and you can run straight water in the cooling system in the summertime. In fact the engine will dissipate heat faster with a higher concentration of water due to coolants lower boiling point.
You need to stress the importance of vehicle maintenance now that there is a child involved. What if an emergency situation arises and the rear main seal decides to fail completely. How far is he gonna get with no oil in the pan.
If your friend is oblivious to auto maintenance then I suggest getting 100 a month out of him,and buy whatever is required to maintain his vehicle and take it upon yourself to do a monthly inspection for him.
That vehicle is that child's lifeline,failure is not an option.
Use the max life in hopes that the seal conditioners help the failing rear main seal,as well as any other potential problem and do a monthly inspect if you have the time.

This his actually his fourth child. The area we live in is densely populated and they have many good friends nearby (at least two within one mile, including us) so getting the kid to the doctors or hospital is not too much of a concern. They have $5,000 to spend on another car and I am trying to help him find a decent vehicle.

I am hoping to reach my friend through his oldest son, who is 19. My friend bought a 196x Dodge Dart a while back (before they knew they were pregnant) with the intention of ditching the Explorer and running the Dart and their now totalled Maxima. However, the Dart has some mechanical issues that need to be worked out and is currently non-op. They gave it to their son to fix and drive and my wife volunteered me (with no objections on my part) to help him with that. I'm thinking of starting with the basics and giving the son instructions on oil and air filter changes on the Explorer (probably also needs spark plugs, tranny drain and fill, and maybe a coolant system flush) as an auto maintenance/repair intro and working up to the radiator replacement on the Dart.

I'm actually getting coffee with that friend tonight, so it will be a good time to start the auto maintenance conversation.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I went to check a co workers oil yesterday and it looked as if it was just below the minimum line but adding a quart only brought it up to halfway between the cross hatch. His capacity is only 3.7 quarts so he only had just over two quarts in the system.

I would use the high mileage. The engine will work fine on 5w30.

is it a Prius? It takes 1.5 qts to go from add to fill on the Prius dipstick--maybe the same for a Yaris too

Good your helping out and I'd use the MaxLife to pick one.
Now, he don't have much to maintain a vehicle, he doesn't have to run high dollar oil & filters. But he should understand not doing anything can cost more in the long run. And if the tires were 10-15psi low.... well it sure can't cost much to air them back up. And its sure not worth the safety risk either. Air can be found for free. Not keeping them up at all seems to show no care.
Help him & work on the importance of some basic maintenance, and safety.
He probably enjoyed driving your car. Just hope he doesn't wait til it run out of gas before he thinks it needs gas.

It's good of you to be willing to offer your assistance to a friend in need.
WRT oil, I've had good results with Nextgen Maxlife in my old BMW.
While I have a stash of FAR G-Oil that may be worth more than the market cap of the maker, I've yet to use any in anything, so I can't comment on it.
UOAs show it to yield good wear metals numbers and to have a TBN retention that makes Synpower look like a long drain champ, and G-Oil also shows a lot of shearing.
In a leaker, I'd give the NGMXL a try.
It may help to reduce what sounds like a rear main seal leak.
It won't be an instant cure, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back