Help with iphone on the home network

Figured somebody here is likely smart enough to provide some insight. I've always been fairly comfortable with technology, but I got into the smartphone game pretty late and on the android side. My wife is a bit less tech-savvy and she likes her iphone...which I pretty much can barely use. Anyways lately it seems like every night when she comes home from work, as soon as her phone connects to the home network everything slows way down. Especially noticable if I am playing a game.

We've had this problem in the past and I was able to fix it by upgrading to a better modem (more bonding channels and fully compatibile with our broadband) which allows up to see an honest 80 megs down and well I forget the upstream. I also upgraded to a dual band router (WD N750) and run all mobile devices on 5ghz with all computers on 2.4ghz and the smart TV is hard wired. This resulted in fantastic internet speed and service... until now. Like I said, when her iphone comes home at night the network goes to poop. Doesn't happen with the teenager's iphone. Is worse if she leaves multiple apps open, and seems to be worse when plugged in on standby.

I understand about the icloud service, but when my diversified wifi and high speed broadband I just can't believe it would slow everything down THAT much. Any ideas on what settings to look at or other tweaks or solutions?

Check into the"quality of service" (QoS) settings on your router. this lets you ration the speed out so no one slows it down for everyone else. Go into your IP address (something like 192.168.0.1, depending on the router) and then you can play around with the settings. You can either set one up, but there may be one (and your wife's phone is set for the maximum bandwidth). Hope that can help you.

Yeah, lets try that! The N750 has some weird "smart" QoS which I thought only dealt at the application level. A quick double check shows it can be used for entire devices as well.

The iPhone is about the easiest gadget out there to use.

If she is doing something with iCloud (I have it turned off on all my devices), it may be synchronizing things, but unless she is taking GB of video or has a lot to sync, it is difficult to see how it would slow down your internet for an extended period.

Similarly, if she connects and downloads updates (which occurs at a much faster data rate than iCloud sync), that can use bandwidth, but it is again only temporary...

What model Iphone is she using? This could be important if she has an older Iphone that doesn't support wireless N. I would also make sure the phone has been updated to the most recent version.

Well, it isn't the newest but I would think the 5s supports N. Could be that many images and video... but not every day. I'll have to check the OS as well as if its trying to DL a large update?

Why are you running the computers on 2.4 and the mobile devices on 5? That's not really optimal and you're not taking advantage of that router's full capabilities.

Any time you run a mixed-mode like that, you sacrifice performance. It's very possible that the router is throttling or dealing with interference as a result.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Why are you running the computers on 2.4 and the mobile devices on 5? That's not really optimal and you're not taking advantage of that router's full capabilities.

Any time you run a mixed-mode like that, you sacrifice performance. It's very possible that the router is throttling or dealing with interference as a result.

I dont understand this?

2.4g and 5g are separate radios?

Personally I use 5ghz for close fast devices
ie streaming tv, laptop

and 2.4 for devices that move or are farther away.
smartphone on back deck etc

It is the router and a specific setting called fast track or something. Turn that off as it's likely pushing priority to your wife's phone.

Sounds like you have an overly chatty I phone there. Data streaming isn't the only culprit though. lots of tiny broadcasts can fragment other data streams. That is where de-prioritizing that device may help

As someone already said make sure to update IOS and the apps.

In settings turn off notifications on apps you dont need constant update. On my apps I usually set them to notify only when running or off. And close all apps not actively being used.

I think the idea behind dual mode is that the router intelligently controls traffic using both radios to avoid packet fragmentation. Google your model router and you should find enough info to work it out or maybe even complaints that that model doesn't play well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

I dont understand this?

2.4g and 5g are separate radios?

Personally I use 5ghz for close fast devices
ie streaming tv, laptop

and 2.4 for devices that move or are farther away.
smartphone on back deck etc

Unless you have devices with older chipsets that can't use 5GHz, or you have an enormous house/one with a lot of thick walls, you shouldn't even need 2.4.

They are different radios, but the point is that the latest routers will actually use dual-band to automatically leverage both as needed.

There is nothing that an Iphone could do that would cause any network slowness if you are paying for a 80MB down internet plan.

What upload speed are you paying for?

I would upgrade the router firmware, upgrade the iphone firmware then go from there.

Turn off icloud backup unless she wants it, and turn off automatic app upgrades unless she wants it.

They are different radios, but the point is that the latest routers will actually use dual-band to automatically leverage both as needed.

Which routers? all the ones I've seen appear as 2 separate networks?

example netgear r7000, buffalo WZR-1750DHP

5ghz wont reach the basement or back deck.. I do have some plaster and odd shaped walls (capecod)

How does

the latest routers will actually use dual-band to automatically leverage both as needed.

work exactly? A link to something?

also you said:

I don't see how using both networks causes throttling or interference? Did I misread something?

My understanding was diversifying devices between the two frequencies should REDUCE interference.

Originally Posted By: buck91
My understanding was diversifying devices between the two frequencies should REDUCE interference.

Yes and no. 5ghz generally has poor ability to go thru tough walls or to bad antenna. The worst device in terms of signal brings your network down. I'd suggest trying using the lower and upper band and see what works better.

I have 10 Ethernet ports throughout my 110 year old home to avoid the downsides of wifi and reliable service.

Originally Posted By: buck91

Correct. When I setup an Aironet AP, I give both radios the same SSID's, that way there's only one authentication necessary and the device will roam between the two radios depending on signal strength or pair to a radio depending on capability.

I used to have an iPhone, never used the cloud, backed it up to my PC. I WENT to Walmart to get the iPhone SE, the latest chip in small package, Walmart had issued a recall of them all. Ended up with Samsung, The very next day, Walmart reversed the recall and they had to be scanned back into inventory

Back