help with evap issues, 2008 silverado

Could use a hand with this one, peeps.

2008 silverado, 4.8, 2WD, 8' bed, regular cab. Threw some parts at it: gas cap, the solenoid on the intake, and the fresh air solenoid that hangs off the rear of the tank. All generic.

Had a small evap leak ever since I owned it, grew into a large one recently. Does smell like gas in its vicinity.

I got a smoke machine, hollowed out an old gas cap to make it into an adapter, thought I saw smoke on top of the gas tank when I first used it, but the frame got in the way of me seeing exactly. Tried a mirror, no dice.

Dropped the tank, found that both the tank and the fuel pump sender are plastic. The lock ring has surface rust but is doing its job. Re-tried the smoke test now that I can see the top, can't see any smoke. If I leave various evap lines undone smoke surely finds its way out. The charcoal canister is behind the tank, above the driveshaft (which is out), so a problem from there could have looked like the top of the tank from my perspective.

I am working on this thing in daylight in my driveway, wind is pretty still. Might wait for nightfall and bring a bright flashlight (laser?) down to try to see the smoke better.

Ideas?

Maybe you've done this, but you have to seal off the system so that the smoke machine can expose the leak. You are closing/blocking the vent and purge lines while testing?

The purge line I'm plugging with my thumb, but the vent line I'm assuming is closed via the solenoid being in an off/ closed status?

The vent line seems to have had the "modification" done where it snakes around back to the transmission.

Found it... maybe... quick connect between the 5/16 filler neck vent line and fuel pump topper.

What helped, was removing the line to the charcoal canister and plugging it, simplifying the setup substantially.

Back