Help with 2015 Honda CRV stalling problem. (Transmission?)

Hello,
My mom and dad are in the 80's and are having a problem with their 2015 Honda CRV EXL they bought bran new. It only has 34,000 total miles on it as my parents just dont drive much. About a year ago it started stalling out when they would back it out of their garage. It would shutter and just die. Put it in park and it would start right back up and act normal. Also it would hesitate when accelerating sometimes. Then all of the sudden it would grab and go. Would do this a couple times a month. They took it to the dealer and it did act up for the dealer luckily. They diagnosed it as a bad transmission and there is a TSB for this problem(18-072). They would not how ever replace the transmission because its past the factory warranty even with less then 36,000 miles. Parents purchase an 8 year extended warranty plan that covers 8 years and 80,000 miles. They bought it from the Honda dealer at the time they bought the car and it was $2,573. It covers EVERYTHING.
Well the dealers says the warranty company wont cover till the transmission fails. Problem is they just dont drive it enough and they have one year left on the warranty. It is starting to act up much more often so hopefully it fails. Is there anything we can do to get them to just fix the **** car?
Also do you guys agree it is the transmission/torque converter? Any other ideas?
We are very disappointed in this Honda. It was supposed to be their last car and it was bought because of Hondas reputation for reliability and this CRV has been nothing but trouble. It has been dealer maintained and always garaged. I wonder if Honda Cooperate would help? Any advice on that? Thanks everyone!
QtXhZKl.jpg

Is the dealer who gave the diagnosis the selling dealer? It appears they got sold an aftermarket warranty. If it is I'd start yelling you sold me this worthless warranty. If it isn't, I'd call the selling dealer and do even louder yelling. Squeaky wheel is going to get the grease here.

Lesson from all this is that sometimes vehicles that don't get driven enough can have more issues than ones with lots of mileage. Usually low mileage cars that sit alot have carbon buildup on the rings. Sounds like the OP had a issue with the tranny from the beginning and never knew it. They say most cars show their ugly sides in the first 50,000 miles if there is going to be a issue. On to a lighter more positive outlook; sell it to another dealership on a trade. It's only a suggestion but it's a thought. Good luck in whatever you do.

According to the TSB the transmission has failed. They would like to drag it out till there is no warranty. Maybe there is someone in your news media that handles things like this.

It's failed enough that they're willing to quote a re-man, so it's failed enough for them to advocate on your parent behalf to the so-called warranty company.

Side note, run away screaming from an LKQ re-man

Welcome to the club - your situation is much worse, but I'm also one of those disappointed in CR-V. So much so that I decided to share it with other people. It was my 7th Honda in the last 15 years, and because of this car it'll be my last one.

You should definitely take it to the corporate though.

Had the same problem with my 2015 CRV. The issue is a faulty seal that allows the fluid in the torque converter to drain when the car is off for a period of time. It’s more an annoyance than a severe problem as the engine will restart and operate normally.

My CRV was out of warranty but the dealer worked with me and arranged an accommodation with Honda where Honda provided the parts and I paid for the labor. An installed, remanufactured CVT is around $5k and I paid about 1/3 of that. I could have ignored the problem but, as I expect to keep the car for a long time, I elected to go the replacement route.

So, I think your parents have three options:

1) Push hard on the extended warranty issue
2) Ask the dealer (or Honda) to help with a cost accommodation as you know they have been done
3) Live with it as it’s not likely to become a real problem
4) If none of these are workable, trade it in on a different brand. This issue will not be evident to a used car appraiser and used CRV values are sky-high.

Good luck.

It's failed enough that they're willing to quote a re-man, so it's failed enough for them to advocate on your parent behalf to the so-called warranty company.

Side note, run away screaming from an LKQ re-man
X2 on stay away from anything from LKQ . In my area there is a decent size Automatic transmission rebuild outfit, and that would be a way better place than LKQ. I had their Torque converter division do a converter it was done just great, good place and they do good work.

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding. So I'll follow up on all of your advice and let you guys know how it works out in the end. Much appreciated everyone!

Back