Help Us Decide 2019: GMC Terrain vs. Toyota RAV4 vs. Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
I know this is probably outside your search scope, I've rented a number of AWD GMC Acadia's with the V6. I very much like the way they drive, the comfort, the excellent HP, and the MPG is always better than I expect.

They are also heavily discounted at least around here.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Originally Posted by Cujet
I know this is probably outside your search scope, I've rented a number of AWD GMC Acadia's with the V6. I very much like the way they drive, the comfort, the excellent HP, and the MPG is always better than I expect.

They are also heavily discounted at least around here.

Wife saw an Acadia in the showroom and liked it. However, I was able to persuade her that it's more vehicle than the two of us need. Empty nesters in our 50's, she has a couple grand kids, I don't have any yet until son and daughter-in-law decide to have children. I have grand dogs, but they ain't setting paw in our cars.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
I realize that the engineers are trying to bolster in the driver & passenger in the front seats but, I am finding the bolstering is too aggressive and nonadjustable. I feel as though I am sitting on the side bolsters instead of in the seat.

How large are you?

I'm on a smaller side, so I have yet to find a seat that would feel too small. I find seats in small cars big enough. If the seats in larger cars were even bigger, I think I would drown in them. I love me some aggressive side bolstering to stop me from sliding around while cornering.

But there is something to be said about driver sizes - we are all different heights, widths, and weights, yet I don't see any adjustments to make the seats wider or narrower on a typical car, other than bottom seat length extender.

I'm 6'2 and a half and weigh 215 lbs. I found the seats in the Terrain to be comfortable, but little can really be concluded from a short test drive.

LoneRanger,

Congrats! Which engine? AWD or FWD?

I'm leasing a 2018 Terrain SLE (FWD with the optional 252 HP 2.0 turbo) and it's been great. I average 27 MPG in mostly suburban driving. The torque, handling, ride, mpg - all excellent. I find the seats quite comfortable and the infotainment system is VERY well laid out and cake to use. I'm thinking about buying one when my lease is up. I also noticed that the 9 speed transaxle has a drain plug and a dipstick tube. So draining and filling the trans will be easy, which is a huge plus for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Bought the GMC Terrain.

Congrats! Post up some pictures.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I realize that the engineers are trying to bolster in the driver & passenger in the front seats but, I am finding the bolstering is too aggressive and nonadjustable. I feel as though I am sitting on the side bolsters instead of in the seat.

How large are you?

It's not my size, it's that I dislike aggressive side bolstering on too many of the seats of today's vehicles.
Lexus seats use to be great. Nissan/Infinite has done a nice job as well and many GM & FORD/Lincoln too.
I like most(but not all) compact SUV seats. I've even sat in some subcompact sedan & hatchbacks that were fine and in some LARGE sedans that were terribly narrow for the hips & upper back. Too much side bolstering. I guess this for the aggressive driver type.

In addition, pickup truck seats are the absolute best. THE BEST!
Wider & flatter seats with very mild side bolstering is also just my preference.
And it's not the small(er) size if the vehicle that determines the narrowness of the seats it seems.
As mentioned, we've sat/driven subcompact cars that were quite good and large vehicles the sucked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cos
LoneRanger,

Congrats! Which engine? AWD or FWD?

I'm leasing a 2018 Terrain SLE (FWD with the optional 252 HP 2.0 turbo) and it's been great. I average 27 MPG in mostly suburban driving. The torque, handling, ride, mpg - all excellent. I find the seats quite comfortable and the infotainment system is VERY well laid out and cake to use. I'm thinking about buying one when my lease is up. I also noticed that the 9 speed transaxle has a drain plug and a dipstick tube. So draining and filling the trans will be easy, which is a huge plus for me.

FWD w/ the 1.5 motor. We just don't need the punch that the 2.0 has. Decided we didn't need two AWD cars, have my Forester if winter weather should become too treacherous for front wheel drive. Of course, I'm sure if come November we were to have the Terrain shod with a winter tire type such as Blizzak's or similar then the FWD would do better in deep snow.

Car is very quiet on the highway and engine is smooth revving as well, one would think at least based only on smoothness that the motor is a V6 instead of an inline 4. The nine speed transmission also, so far, seems to shift very subtly in normal auto mode. Played with the manual shift feature, and agree with the magazine reviewers that while it works okay the placement of the button is not at all convenient. She, however, will *never* use that button and could care less about it and it's her car so there we go.

Congrats as well.
The GM's IMHO are the most grownup feeling. And this is not a knock to the other fine vehicles in this category.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
FWD w/ the 1.5 motor.

How much was it?

$23,003 after discounts and rebates. That was not "out the door" it was the final selling price. MSRP on sticker was 29K, not counting freight fee which was 1100 or so. They gave us $4500 trade allowance on her 2008 RAV4 Sport w/ 150,000 miles. After trade allowance and putting some extra cash down we financed 15K. $284/mo 60 months but we'll pay it off well before 60.

She originally thought she wanted white. But we got silver instead. After seeing how a white one looked with all the black plastic fender and rocker trim she changed her mind and liked silver body color better, and I agree that silver looks better with the black trim.

[Linked Image]

Oh, forgot to add. HID's are standard equipment. They are quite the upgrade from the halogen's of her old RAV which had to shine through hazy lenses to boot.

Oh, forgot to add. HID's are standard equipment. They are quite the upgrade from the halogen's of her old RAV which had to shine through hazy lenses to boot.

They should last a good long time, just don't go to the dealer to replace them when they do out... unless you have to remove half the front end to get to them.

I miss my HID's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back