Help Us Decide 2019: GMC Terrain vs. Toyota RAV4 vs. Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CT8
find the most reliable one drive it then if good buy it.

That's why so many people pick the RAV4(400K/yr). And statistically, they are very, very reliable. Very few RAV buyers go out and test drive the competition. Many of my own friends just go to the Toyota dealer and buy their vehicles, and they're not wrong for doing so.

However, they don't give anything else a chance because if they did, they may not buy the Toyota just based on the driving experience. Of course the Toyota will be great if you don't drive anything else. I also have a buddy that only buys Chevy without testing anything else in its segment and he is happy doing so.

I myself used to be HonYota ONLY until I gave the competition a chance. Now, I move around more and am happy to do so.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Out of your three choices, I'd pick the new Tiguan.

Good choice if one wants to unload the vehicle at 4-5 years. Has VW fixed the issues with the 2.0 TSI ?

6yr/72k mile bumper-to-bumper. Why unload it in 4?

And yes. For years now. And they weren't as bad as the internet makes them seem to begin with.

Ah, I was thinking a VW would be easier to sell with 2 yrs/X miles of factory warranty remaining (I've become paranoid about owning a vehicle w/out warranty). I've read conflicting reports on the 2.0. For example, HumbleMechanic (former VW Master Technician) didn't think too highly of the 2.0 TSI.

Would the OP get a loyalty discount for getting a new RAV4?

In the end this is a question that cannot be answered on a Internet forum. You and your wife have to get in and see which one fits you and your needs the best.

My mom's loves her 2018 Equinox but has had one item repaired under warranty. Now with the new generation Rav4 out and the hybrid giving such good mileage, I would go that route.

The RAV4 for hybrid driveline. My coworker got in collision two weeks after taking ownership of a GMC Terrain totaling it. He was upside down by thousands of dollars due to toilet resale.

Terrain is the best choice economically if slightly used.

That's what my BiL did two years ago … his GMCT has been trouble free …

Originally Posted by diyjake
Another vehicle I would look at is Mazda CX-5, mazda has been heading in the right direction and makes some some vehicles.

We don't consider the snub-tail styles like the CX-5 to be SUV's. It's a tall car, reminiscent of the Cozy Coupe's toddlers push around with their feet.

We want traditional layout that actually has some cargo space behind the rear seats, not the snub-tail jobs that the rear seat head rests are practically touching the back glass. Snub-tail styling just looks ridiculous to us. Ford Edge, Fiat 500, come to mind also as snub-tails.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Get a Tahoe … fold 3rd row down … Load …

And where, pray tell, might one find a new tahoe for the stated under $30K price tag?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Bump the budget a little …

Sure, why not double the budget, halve the fuel economy, and ramp up the depreciation while we're at it. Makes perfect sense to me
laugh.gif

Have you gone around and looked at any of these vehicles yet? Checked realistic pricing?

What have you looked at so far?

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Snub-tail styling just looks ridiculous to us. Ford Edge, Fiat 500, come to mind also as snub-tails.

I think you are confusing Edge with Escape. The Edge has plenty of cargo room behind rear seats.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Terrain is the best choice economically if slightly used.

I just look on Autotrader. Around here, a slightly used Terrain is only a little bit cheaper than a new one. And my guess is there may be more incentives available on new ones.

RAV4 Hybrid LE. I test drove one last Sunday and the one I drove stickered for $30K. Averaged 43 mpg during the 10 mile test drive. Coming from a Prius, it is a nice upgrade in every way, but compared to other small SUV's I can see where there are some deficiencies.

VW with 6yr 60 thou warranty + a real automatic is a good choice + theres the Mazda with a real automatic + no turbo for more simplicity. you dont need awd as a FWD + 4 snow tyres will go better + surely stop better than AWD + all season but winter tyres + you save money in the purchase + with better mpgs. GM is crap these days + the 2.slow subie with a questionable CVT is out of question. Toyotas are fine but way overpriced IMO. ti save more + get more a sedan is a better choice as well, also my opinion, your $$$$ your choice drive them all + decide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
VW with 6yr 60 thou warranty + a real automatic is a good choice + theres the Mazda with a real automatic + no turbo for more simplicity. you dont need awd as a FWD + 4 snow tyres will go better + surely stop better than AWD + all season but winter tyres + you save money in the purchase + with better mpgs. GM is crap these days + the 2.slow subie with a questionable CVT is out of question. Toyotas are fine but way overpriced IMO

Credit for first reply in form of a math equation but you left out the = sign ...
laugh.gif

+7 on the RAV4 Hybrid AWD.
The new RAV4 HAS LED headlamps (and tail lamps), Toyota just doesn't list them in the specs. The styling isn't very pleasing to MY eye, but I could probably get used to it. It rides a little rough, but not as rough as my wife's CR-V.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

We don't consider the snub-tail styles like the CX-5 to be SUV's. It's a tall car, reminiscent of the Cozy Coupe's toddlers push around with their feet.

We want traditional layout that actually has some cargo space behind the rear seats, not the snub-tail jobs that the rear seat head rests are practically touching the back glass. Snub-tail styling just looks ridiculous to us. Ford Edge, Fiat 500, come to mind also as snub-tails.

Look again. The CX-5 is the Mazda twin to the RAV4. We have a RAV, daughter has a CX-5. Specs within fractions of a inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back