Help!!!! Trouble getting sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased the Blackstone pump first of all. When I put the tube in it just snags or stops. How far should it go down? This is on a 2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0 Engine. Thanks in advance.

I am not familiar with that car, but you are going down the dipstick tube right? Just want to make sure that you aren't trying to extract from the oil fill.

I have that problem on the transmission tube on the Honda. It snags on something but it makes it past that area after a few tries. Typically though, if a dipstick can read the oil than you should be able to sample it at the same location. If you aren't getting any oil you might want to try parking up or down a hill to see if the oil in the pan will gather on the side closest to the dipstick.

Good luck!

Yes I am putting down the dipstick, just really wonder what its getting hung on. Getting ready to go and give it a try again.

Quote:

Yes I am putting down the dipstick, just really wonder what its getting hung on. Getting ready to go and give it a try again.

Word of advice: Put the tube in a couple inches and then make sure you can back it out a little, then put it in a little further. Just in case it gets hung up on something, you don't want it in a huge distance.

Don't want to scare you, doing the sample is fairly safe. Just go easy and you'll be fine. Try the incline trick if you can do it. Like I said, if the dipstick can sample it your extractor should be able to.

Last thing, try sucking up some alcohol through the extractor to make sure it is working right. You could be hitting the oil pan but the extractor might not be tightened enough. You have to tighten both the sample canister and the metal "thingey" on top (to seal off the extraction hose). It doesn't have to be on super tight just enough to make the seal.

If you test it with alcohol make sure it dries before you sample. I recommend alcohol because if you do water you might not get all of it out and contaminate your sample (the alcohol evaporates better).

Looking forward to your UOA!
cheers.gif

Last edited:
PT1, yea I tried that too.

I tried again with no luck still, guess i will just wait till oil change time.

Quote:

PT1, yea I tried that too.

I tried again with no luck still, guess i will just wait till oil change time.

If your dipstick is a thin cable, you may need to use the more traditional method of the oil pan for a sample.

If it were me I'd try trimming the end of the hose at more of an angle. If that didn't help right off I'd try working it in and out at the stoppage while turning it a little each time. Maybe a little firmer push will help while all that is going on.

I was not able to get an oil sample on an 00 Pontiac GrandAM. Posibly make the buisness end of the tube pointy by cutting it

I have a question related to using the Blackstone vacuum pump.

I would have assumed that you do this when the engine is cold so that you don't end up with melted plastic tubing in your dipstick tube, but the Blackstone site says to warm the engine. Do you still warm the engine for a dipstick tube sample?

I'm considering getting one of the Blackstone vacuum pumps, but the way the dipstick tube is designed on the Ecotec engine, it may not work.

Quote:

I have a question related to using the Blackstone vacuum pump.

I would have assumed that you do this when the engine is cold so that you don't end up with melted plastic tubing in your dipstick tube, but the Blackstone site says to warm the engine. Do you still warm the engine for a dipstick tube sample?

I'm considering getting one of the Blackstone vacuum pumps, but the way the dipstick tube is designed on the Ecotec engine, it may not work.

This is what I do. warm up the engine - let it cool for 30 minutes. It works fine and the oil is still a pretty good temperature.

As
410voefe.jpg
and Al suggest, I recommend cutting the tube on a bias. You may have to rotate it to get the pointy end in a favorable position to work around your obstacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back