Help to decide

I have a 2017 Nissan Murano that is in need of new tires. I am trying to decide between the following tires:

Michelin Defender LTX m/s
Cooper CS5 grand touring
Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3
Continental Crosscontact LX25

What are your thoughts of which are the best? The price point is around the same for all of them + or - 30 dollars or so. Thanks

I have a 2017 Nissan Murano that is in need of new tires. I am trying to decide between the following tires:

Cooper CS5 grand touring

What are your thoughts of which are the best? The price point is around the same for all of them + or - 30 dollars or so. Thanks
Here, this might help. I prefer the Continental.

Cooper CS5 grand touring

I did a comparison on all of them. IMHO, the Continental Crosscontact LX25 is the tire I would choose. YMMV.

If it’s +/- $30 I would get the Michelin. Otherwise Coopers. Continental is so-so IMO and Pirellis are kinda expensive.

Both the Michelin and Pirelli are quiet. I think the Pirelli maybe a bit quieter.

Cooper CS5 grand touring

Where do you live? Snow a concern? do you plan to get winter tires/rims. Off road or state trail use? What is on on it now that you like or don't like?

I'm In NY. I have the Defender LTX M/S on the Pilot for 3 season, works for beach, gravel, light mud etc to hunting cabin. Quiet, rides nice, good wet and dry. Had some way back and only used once in snow on an Explorer. They were OK, many recommend for year round. I run dedicated winter tires as they work better in snow/ice.

CRV- Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+ 2 much quieter than the worn Michelin Defender T&H it came with. Rides better also. Good wet and dry.

Sister in law - Just put Pirelli AS 3 on it. AS3 replaces the Scorpion Verde AS+2. Rides nice, quiet. not much experience as I only helped with purchase and she was going to some cheap house brand I didn't recommend.

Conti gets pretty good reviews from many as all around. I had poor experience with old version of CrossContact LX (not the LX25). Mine were safety hazard in snow and wore out fast. I do run Conti Viking Contact 7 and Winter contact Si so not opposed to the brand.

Parents have the CS5 as shop installed for them. They also run full winter.

None would be a bad choice IMO. I'd probably put the CS5 lower based on other reviews and longer term.

Find a great deal that covers where you go. Sam's club carries and orders the Pirelli and others. Costco and BJ's get Michelin, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich and not much else. You might get better sales/deals from TireRack and Discount Tire. TR includes road hazard, DT is extra. Price maybe the same. TR gave me great prorate offer on some worn Pirelli Scorpion AT's that didn't make mileage with no hassles.

TR sale on Conti Viking made it cheaper the Michelin Winter or Bridgestone Blizzak at Costco on sale. Price difference covered install locally at recommended place AND new TPMS sensors for spare winter wheels.

Both the Michelin and Pirelli are quiet. I think the Pirelli maybe a bit quieter.

Where do you live? Snow a concern? do you plan to get winter tires/rims. Off road or state trail use? What is on on it now that you like or don't like?

I'm In NY. I have the Defender LTX M/S on the Pilot for 3 season, works for beach, gravel, light mud etc to hunting cabin. Quiet, rides nice, good wet and dry. Had some way back and only used once in snow on an Explorer. They were OK, many recommend for year round. I run dedicated winter tires as they work better in snow/ice.

CRV- Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+ 2 much quieter than the worn Michelin Defender T&H it came with. Rides better also. Good wet and dry.

Sister in law - Just put Pirelli AS 3 on it. AS3 replaces the Scorpion Verde AS+2. Rides nice, quiet. not much experience as I only helped with purchase and she was going to some cheap house brand I didn't recommend.

Conti gets pretty good reviews from many as all around. I had poor experience with old version of CrossContact LX (not the LX25). Mine were safety hazard in snow and wore out fast. I do run Conti Viking Contact 7 and Winter contact Si so not opposed to the brand.

Parents have the CS5 as shop installed for them. They also run full winter.

None would be a bad choice IMO. I'd probably put the CS5 lower based on other reviews and longer term.

Find a great deal that covers where you go. Sam's club carries and orders the Pirelli and others. Costco and BJ's get Michelin, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich and not much else. You might get better sales/deals from TireRack and Discount Tire. TR includes road hazard, DT is extra. Price maybe the same. TR gave me great prorate offer on some worn Pirelli Scorpion AT's that didn't make mileage with no hassles.

TR sale on Conti Viking made it cheaper the Michelin Winter or Bridgestone Blizzak at Costco on sale. Price difference covered install locally at recommended place AND new TPMS sensors for spare winter wheels.
Really only drive in possible snow 1 time per year when we go back to Kentucky, so snow isn’t a big deal. We live in North Carolina, so our biggest concern usually is the rain.

I currently have the Michelin latitude tour tires, they were the factory tires. I don’t have any true complaints about them, other than I am having them replaced with 42k on them, but I have heard this is common with the factory tire.

I think at this point I’m deciding between the defenders vs the Pirelli’s.

All of those are good tires. I’ve used the Michelin ones before on our Jeep they are great. They are 8 years old now still holding air not too badly cracked. It’s been sitting since 2014 but from what I remember of them they are great. I’ve got a set of Cooper Evolutions on my Escape not sure how others are as I have only road tested cars with those on but most Cooper are noisy but still great tires. The other two I hear great things about and would not hesitate to buy them. I’ve used the other two brands just not that series so I know those companies make good tires.

I have limited experience with Michelin and Conti (other models than those in the list) and they were fine, but nothing particularly impressive to warrant the hype. I have a set of CS5 Ultras right now and can't wait to get rid of them...noisy and they flat spot every day. I also currently have the Pirelli Scorpion Verde II and they are probably the best tire I have ever used...quiet, excellent traction wet and dry, and handles well. I can't speak to their durability as I have only been using them for 15k.

My vote is Pirelli

I think at this point I’m deciding between the defenders vs the Pirelli’s.
Check local sales and availability the flip a coin between them. Some sizes are hard to find lately and limit the choice. Find a good price locally (or mail order) that you can get covered for road hazard, flat repair, rotation etc. Consider what happens on trips away.

Costco, BJ's, Sam's include road hazard.
Tirerack includes road hazard in their price but you will need to submit a claim, which has been a no hassle issue when you call.
Discount Tire Direct charges extra for road hazard certificates so factor that in.

Back