Help! Need parts and not available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I'm kinda mad right now! Last month, I went at the dealer due to a load related rattle and I asked them to check the timing chain on my 05 Cadillac CTS 3.6L non-di. I said, while at it, can you change all guides and tensioners. The guy said to not worry because the chains comes with a bunch of parts that includes tensioners and guides + gaskets.

They did change the gaskets and the 3 chains but not the tensioners and guides and the rattle still there. I took another appointment and got my car back this afternoon. Guess what? I was a faulty tensioner. Bad news: parts are on backorders until the beginning of october!

I live in Montreal and NAPA, Auto Part store, Midas can't find any part for my car! Is there any way I can found them? I tried gmparts online but they don't ship outside of the U.S

I just hope that I won't damage the engine if I continue to drive the car! The rattle is there 10% of the time under light load. In this 2 months, I will drive about 9000 kms.

Thanks in advance!

-Mark.

Any dealer.
A 2005 is not old enough that parts availability would be any problem.
Go online, and look for aCandian Cad dealer offering discounted OEM parts.
Standard dealer markup on parts is 100%.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Any dealer.
Go online, and look for aCandian Cad dealer offering discounted OEM parts.

That's the problem. The OEM parts are suppose to be national backorder! No dealer in quebec can find the part!

those are common parts look up the nearest engine rebuilder near you and if he dont have them he can get them by the next day...IF your car is under warrantee you are in the correct place if not you should go to a respectable engine rebuilder

Mark,

can you send me the part number? I work at the plant where they make those cars. I have acess to all the engineers and customer satisfaction people. I "might" be able to help you out.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Any dealer.

There really is no age limit on parts availability issues, we have them all the time on new GM vehicles. And where do you get standard dealer markup is 100%? There really is no standard anymore with everyone doing their own "matrix" pricing. When there was a standard, list price was 67% over cost, wholesale was 30%. Right now GM pays 40% markup for warranty parts. 50% markup is a more realistic number for retail sales.

I wouldn't be paying the labour for them to pull it all apart again because you asked them to do it in the first place. Knowing dealers they probably raped you enough the first time anyways...
31.gif

Second I would cross into the US (if you can) and see if dealers there have them.

ONN: 2005, how many miles on it that it's failing already. Doesn't speak well for quality especially considering this is GM's "Premium brand".
frown.gif

cheers3.gif
Good Luck!
thumbsup2.gif

I ran the part numbers on the locator, one dealer in MN has all the tensioners in stock. Shakopee Chevrolet in Shakopee, MN
(952)445-5200
Part numbers are 12609263, 12609261, and 12609259.
Guides are readily available at GM.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
ONN: 2005, how many miles on it that it's failing already. Doesn't speak well for quality especially considering this is GM's "Premium brand".
frown.gif

cheers3.gif
Good Luck!
thumbsup2.gif

If it's the car in his signature, 144k miles. Why do you have to bash GM every chance you get?

I'm not bashing I just don't feel that any car should have a timing chain related problem over that few miles IMO.

It's not about GM. But since you mentioned it I would expect more from the Cadillac brand as I would from a Lexus, Infinity etc.

These are premium cars and should have premium engineering that is bullet proof. Why else are you paying top $$$?

So quit trying to turn this into me bashing GM.
31.gif

Well mine has 144k miles but there's a lot of CTS with lower than 80k miles with timing chain problems and tensioners.

Brand new CTS also have the issue. I think its a poor design part or poor quality part.

Question for you guys:

Since I could hear just a little rattle for about 1 sec during the cold start and I could hear the chain rattle SOMETIME during light load between 15 and 30 mph, do you think it will hurt the engine to drive the car with a starting-to-go-bad tensioner?

That is nothing I would drive it just fine. Just don't be flooring it to pass anyone and be a little gentle before it is warmed up.

I have heard engines with sloppy chains and guides and they sound like forks in blenders and people still drive them.

You know it's a problem and you are going to fix it but based on the noise you describe it's ok to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back