Help me!! Want to Move to ARIZONA / NEW MEXICO-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Northern California is where I'd go. If not there, then South Virginia, around Virginia Beach.

Not too hot - nor too cold. I desire all four seasons but just a little bit / taste of the extreme weather. Here today and gone tomorrow extreme.

I love it here in central VA (south of Richmond). I'm a yankee transplant originally from northern WV (Morgantown).

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Northern California is where I'd go. If not there, then South Virginia, around Virginia Beach.

Not too hot - nor too cold. I desire all four seasons but just a little bit / taste of the extreme weather. Here today and gone tomorrow extreme.

I love it here in central VA (south of Richmond). I'm a yankee transplant originally from northern WV (Morgantown).

Oh no! Please don't tell me you're a Mountaineer.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
When my brother was in the Navy stationed in San Diego, he worked with a guy who bought a house 100 miles away from the base and rode a motorcycle everyday to work. Even with military basic allowance for housing for San Diego his family could not afford to buy a house near San Diego.

His wife liked California and the guy was at the end of his 22 year military career. One thousand miles a week on a motorcycle gets old very fast. No way the average person can spend 4 hours on the road daily.

San Diego is the nicest town in the whole state of California, probably the nicest town of the whole country too.

The weather in San Diego is a little nicer than Orange County, a little cooler(about 3-5F) in summer and a littler warmer in winter, again about 3-5F warmer.

The housing in San Diego is slightly more expensive than Orange County, probably about 10-20% more. It is similar to Orange County in term of housing cost, farther away from the beach the cost went down substantial.

I think more than 50-60 miles daily round trip, especially during rush hours, is too much. Personally, I bought the house in Irvine in 1997 was to reduce travel distance from 13-15 miles to less than 5 miles. As you see, my S2000 had only 55k miles after 12 years because I only need to drive 50 miles a week to and from work. I hate sitting in the long parking lot of I405 during rush hours from 3PM to 8-9PM.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Curious,in areas like a CA where the cost of living is expensive do jobs pay more to offset it?

Not as an overall picture. The median household income for California was around 61,000/year and the national median household income was 51,900. Arizona, which has been discussed in this thread, was 50,000, and Texas was 50,700. When you compare median household income to median home values, states like California have a much larger gap than other states.

California as an extremely large state and one of the largest economies in the world all by itself, is not a good one to paint with a broad brush.

Nor is it good practice to cherry pick just a few data points or sub-locations. It all depends upon how you want to view the data.

But since the question that I answered was directed at California in general, my answer was appropriate for the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back