Help Me Decide Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Have you thought of a 5.0L Explorer? They are reasonably decent on fuel and good off-road.

First and second gen Explorers are always my default SUV of choice, and almost certainly what I would buy in this situation.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Take a 99-04 Tracker/Vitara for a test drive. You might like it or, hate it, but atleast around here they are around half as much as a CRV of similar age/condition.
Ours has done pretty well, one front axle seal, a starter, and a O2 sensor have been the repairs so far. Its got a timing chain, transfer case, ladder frame, rwd with solid rear axle, with the same mileage as a CRV.
Its a bit smaller inside than a CRV or Liberty.
I find in our forestry road adventures, 98% of it could be done with a small fwd car, but there's always a washout or steep rocky hill that does need some half intelligent driving and 4wd and low range to go slow to make sure I don't break our ride home.
IMHO for a fun mild off roader you might as well get real 4wd and a transfer case, and probably a Tracker is the cheapest way to do that. The CRV is a bit better commuter, but the fact you have to spin up the front tires to engage the rears is not ideal even for easy trails. I know for what off roading I've done, spinning the fronts could have had me stuck at best or broken down and stuck at worst...
The RAV4's of that era have a 4wd system to lock in the rears atleast but research which years had a bad manual trans if your looking for that.

Good suggestion. The Tracker/Vitara are often overlooked because they don't have the car-like refinement of other mini-utes, but that's what makes them great. They are direct descendents of the very capable Samurai and would make a great beach/snow vehicle.

Quote:
The Subie offers the best combination of light off road ability, passenger space, fuel economy and on road handling and braking

After all the research I've done the last few weeks, I think you are absolutely right. I saw some nice Cherokee's and Pathfinders but you're looking at 15-18mpg. Yikes.

The Bu's with the 2.5 are almost doublt that. Of course the HG is an issue but it's not that big of a deal really.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
4 Runner. I know it's not on your list,but I like the X-Terra's.

Do not buy a 2005 to 2007 Xterra. There is a laundry list of problems to worry about.

Here is a really nice 2002 Xterra. Manual trans. May look at it tonight.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=5N1ED28Y02C565829&partner=COO_0

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=113893563&listingRecNum=14&criteria=prMx%3D6000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20077%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22330%26rd%3D100%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D08096%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

26 service records. Reliable. 14mpg though lmao.

I could do without the 14 mpg. The service records look good. Is the listed price negotiable?

I just drove it and had to completely destroy these guys on every point they tried to make. It was bad. This dealership had NO clue at all. It was comical.

Originally Posted By: buster
I just drove it and had to completely destroy these guys on every point they tried to make. It was bad. This dealership had NO clue at all. It was comical.

Have you checked out a 5.0L Explorer yet?

Exploder is a basic and reliable vehicle but I have never seen one get very good mileage. It would be a great choice if maintained well.

Hard to beat the little Tracker or Suzuki for their utility. Mine averaged 22 mpg across 3 years of ownership and was a VERY tough little vehicle. Not much refinement though!

I can't see anyone beating that CRV as a daily driver.

CRV's AWD/4WD is rather weak though. I prefer Subaru's AWD system.

Originally Posted By: buster
CRV's AWD/4WD is rather weak though. I prefer Subaru's AWD system.

My only point would be what is the typical percentage of on pavement driving versus off road?

Typically it is not used as an off roader, but everyone is different. Personally I would trade a bit of comfort, quiet, and refinement for off road abilities as I am not there much!

^ true those are good points I just would rather have a Subaru.

My wife will be embarrassed if she is seen with me in a Subaru. She doesn't like the way they look. LMAO!!

3rd gen 4runner. I had a 96 T4R and boy, they just look great-like an oldskul Toyota truck. I averaged 17 mpg, mostly city driving.

Here's my 4runner:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back