Help diagnose no water in my house

I think it's likely a frozen pipe but the other possibility is your well is out of water.

In a normal well you have steel well casing going down to bedrock. The pump is a 100 or more feet down the well. Mine in NY was almost 400'. About 4 feet down in the casing is a pittless well adapter. The pump water pipe hooks into the pittless well adapter (kind of snags it). The pittless well adapter is installed in a hole through the casing and the water pipe to your pump tank goes through your basement wall to the pittless well adapter.

Capacitor do go bad. Open up that box and look at the capacitor see if the case is bulging or deformed.

At this point turn off your well pump for at least 12 hours, see if you get any water then. Your well will recharge itself in 12 hours.

Wait until it warms up a bit. Maybe it's not really down 4 feet. It go really cold up north and things are probably freezing that never have before.

Ask me again why I moved from around Albany NY to DE?

Sounds frozen.
Been there. PITA.

Need to be tested at wellhead for flow.... where pump hose is connected before pipe run to hose.

If pump is 10+ years old, then it could've finally failed. I've had a pump last 20 years and another last 3. Neither gave any warning. Even had a wire break half way down... was happy that the well crew fixed the wires quick, lowered the ol' pump back down, and all tested perfect... honest well crew only charged an hour of labor that time.

I would not run it until it thaws out. Kill the breaker. So, get a SUV full of water bottles/cases. Or, pay the well repair man for a house call.
The ol' pump is used to running on a pressure switch filling your accumulator. If pipe is frozen, it can build pressure and break elsewhere, or itself, since tank isn't getting pressure.

These things are always hard to diagnose.

By chance did you check your tank? If it is a bladder tank then depress the relief valve on top. If water comes out it’s done for.

My basement Temp was 68 but the cold water pipe that runs along the sill plate on top of the cement foundation was frozen. Cold air especially at below zero wind easily gets through that sill even if it's insulated. The sheetrock will hold and trap that cold air from getting into the room

Newer construction (last 25 years at least) uses a sill plate gasket to block air from getting through.

Ok the issue has been resolved. nickaluch was correct. The house is probably 100 years old. Even though it felt warm in the basement that was because I was standing up and it was much warmer near my face. When I got down to where the plastic well pipe was on the ground it was pretty chilly. Anyway after waiting a few hours I tried turning on the pump again. For about 10 seconds it didn't do anything then all of the sudden you heard a bunch of ice move and the water pressure started rising. So What I think happened is the water in the pipe right before the pressure tank froze because it was so windy last night. Once the wind settled down it had time for warm air to move back in and thaw the section of pipe. Thanks for everyone's help. I don't know where else I could get such quick responses.

Ok the issue has been resolved. nickaluch was correct. The house is probably 100 years old. Even though it felt warm in the basement that was because I was standing up and it was much warmer near my face. When I got down to where the plastic well pipe was on the ground it was pretty chilly. Anyway after waiting a few hours I tried turning on the pump again. For about 10 seconds it didn't do anything then all of the sudden you heard a bunch of ice move and the water pressure started rising. So What I think happened is the water in the pipe right before the pressure tank froze because it was so windy last night. Once the wind settled down it had time for warm air to move back in and thaw the section of pipe. Thanks for everyone's help. I don't know where else I could get such quick responses.
Excellent.
Might be smart to put a temporary space heater in there, and also get pipe insulation wrap or work on ways to insulate it. Also, moving water won't freeze as easily so a drip is not a bad idea on really cold nights.

My big worry this year is a similar situation. Luckily I haven't had it happen. I put a glass of water in my crawl space so I can see if it starts to crystalize I know I have a problem. So far so good.

Wind chill does not effect objects. It froze cause it's cold. Not due to wind and cold
Correct in the sense that wind won't make an object colder than the air itself.
Wind can cause heat transfer to happen faster though. Think of the air velocity through a radiator as a good example. The higher the air velocity, the faster the heat is removed from the coolant.

In the future you might can leave water dripping somewhere in the house so that there is always flow.
We do this in the south when it freezes but our systems are not designed for any real hard freeze.
As long as water is moving and being replenished it won't have a chance to freeze.

True. My basement is just drafty so if its really windy then the cold air pushes out the stagnant heat.
Glad it is resolved. I've had this happen about two times in my lifetime. Literally the "perfect storm" finds the weaknesses in your installation, even with decades of no previous problems.

It doesnt sound like the pipe was buried deep enough underground

Back