Help. 2019 Honda Civic. 1.5t. Engine oil

I just bought a civic ex hatchback. I hadn't been on the site for years so I thought I would see what oil people were using and I notice the fuel dilution issue with these engines....ugh.

The car will be used as an every day driver. Work is 5 miles away. Probably 90% of the driving will be short trips and stop and go driving.

Which oil would people in the know recommend? I was thinking Pennzoil platinum but I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject. I was thinking about a 5,000 mile oci max.

Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.

You need a good synthetic for those short trips and change often. I would look at oil at 3k and see how much oil rose on the stick and if not much or any change at 5k or 6 months until the fuel dilution issue is fixed by manufacturers then sent to dealership. Ow20 is a great grade of oil and if you look at specs the base oil is better than some of 30 grade.

Last edited:
I have a similar driving situation. If i had a vehicle know to be a fuel diluter I think I'd run Supertech synthetic and a supertech filter every 3500 miles. Probably crazy but the idea is that I would not be letting the fuel build up for too long over an extended OCI.

Drive it 10-15 miles on the highway once a week and you will never experience fuel dilution.

The idea is to get the oil up to operating temperature so that the fuel evaporates out of the oil sump.

For all the threads that have been posted on this topic, the solution is quite simple and it can be readily implemented by any reasonable driver.

Super Tech and change every 3k miles.

I for one would do a UOA on it after it has 5k miles on it and see exactly where the oil is on a fuel dilution situation.

first off should have checked before buying a problematic engine vehicle. since it dilutes fuel a 30W for sure because it will get to a 20 quickly + in your area a 10-30 brand name fake synthetic as most are would do better, but use what upholds your warranty. even though you see xxW20 on the oil cap many owners manuals like girlfriends 18 kia optima 2.4L shows a 5-20 or 5-30 or a 10-30 SN or better as proper oils + their turbo'd engines allow a 5-40. even though your in a hot climate your oil will degrade quickly from the short drives + poor engine so change often, oil + filters are quite cheap when you DIY it. if you intend to keep your ride past the warranty this is very important, because issues show up after the miles pile up!

If it was mine, I'd likely be using a full synthetic 5w20 (less VII's) and install a Fumoto Drain Valve. I'd change the oil every 6 months and try and take it on the highway for an extended period of time at least once a week or more if possible.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Drive it 10-15 miles on the highway once a week and you will never experience fuel dilution.

The idea is to get the oil up to operating temperature so that the fuel evaporates out of the oil sump.

For all the threads that have been posted on this topic, the solution is quite simple and it can be readily implemented by any reasonable driver.

False statement indeed. My driving patterns are mostly highway and pretty much all UOAs came back quite diluted. Likely the ECU thing dumping too much fuel to cool the cylinders. THis power plant runs HOT

Originally Posted by Imp4

Ahhh, NO. I see you are clueless since you don't own a small liter turbo GDI.

I have recently considered purchase of an identical vehicle to OP's. There has been plenty of thought on this subject.

I believe I would put a fumoto on this bad boy, and use Chevron Supreme 5W20. The OCI's would be 3k miles ! FCI would be 10k miles.

I follow the olm on our 18 CRV with the same engine. 20K miles currently. During that time there was no oil rise on the dip stick. Till this last time my wife idled the car for two hours once a week. Currently running 0W20...I may once I'm out switch to 5W30.

Originally Posted by tobylester
I just bought a civic ex hatchback. I hadn't been on the site for years so I thought I would see what oil people were using and I notice the fuel dilution issue with these engines....ugh.

The car will be used as an every day driver. Work is 5 miles away. Probably 90% of the driving will be short trips and stop and go driving.

Which oil would people in the know recommend? I was thinking Pennzoil platinum but I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject. I was thinking about a 5,000 mile oci max.

Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it.

The vehicles accumulated miles puts you on a every six month OCI, going the 3K-route.
Instead of Supertech, consider Quaker State Durability or Castrol Magnatec for a couple dollars more.

Back