Heckler & Koch to manufacture firearms in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/05/h&k

Quote:

COLUMBUS, GA – Heckler & Koch, a manufacturer of firearms and accessories, will invest $28.5 million to expand its existing operations in Columbus, Georgia. The new 50,000 square-foot facility in the Corporate Ridge Business Park will be ready in the summer of 2017 at which time HK will consolidate its New Hampshire operations into Columbus.

HK worked closely with the Georgia Department of Economic Development, the Greater Columbus Georgia Chamber of Commerce and the Development Authority of Columbus prior to making the decision that is expected to create 84 new jobs over the next 2 years.

“HK’s new U.S. factory will make use of advanced manufacturing technologies and will be staffed by German and American engineers and technicians,” said Francisco Hidalgo, CEO of HKUSA. “The HK products will maintain the same level of quality and reliability that the consumer has grown to expect from HK. Our company motto is and will remain ‘No Compromise’.”

“Georgia’s pro-business environment and well-connected logistics network allows manufacturing companies to thrive in our state,” said Georgia Department of Economic Development Commissioner Pat Wilson. “Heckler & Koch’s decision to expand its existing operations corroborates our efforts to not only attract companies to Georgia, but to also retain them and support their growth. We look forward to working with our partners in Columbus to support HK in all of their endeavors.”

“One of our main priorities is to assist existing companies to achieve success,” said Brian Anderson, president & CEO of the Greater Columbus Georgia Chamber of Commerce. “By taking time to understand HK’s business, our team was able to provide the company access to valuable resources and guidance that will keep them firmly planted in the Columbus region.

“HK has been a company that has quietly excelled in Columbus for many years and we are certainly excited about their investment and plans to hire more people,” said Russ Carreker, chairman of the Development Authority of Columbus. “Columbus is a great place to achieve business success and we’re grateful HK chose to grow its business here.”

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I wonder if prices will come down at all?

I don't think so, I believe that is one of the reasons why they held off for so long was that it was cheaper to import them rather than spend money on the new production facility.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
My HK's still made Gmbh. Glad to see Americans getting hired and employed though. Glock did same as well as Walther and are doing fine.

How many were hired and how many lost their jobs in NH? It seems energy cost is one of the primary reasons for the move, personally I suspect the changing political climate in NH also played a roll in the decision but that's a discussion for another place.

http://www.unionleader.com/Newington-gun-maker-to-leave-New-Hampshire-for-Georgia

Heh, this is H&K we are talking about. My VP9 wasn't bad but those mags though....

:)Wish it was Columbus,Nebraska. We have a good workforce, a new high school, a modern hospital, very good medical facilities and a junior college. And we are on the UPRR main line.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
:)Wish it was Columbus,Nebraska. We have a good workforce, a new high school, a modern hospital, very good medical facilities and a junior college. And we are on the UPRR main line.

And looks like they need the tax base to help pay for all those things except the workforce. My county is the same and scaring away business with high taxes and pretty much high everything.
The European union is pressuring arms manufactures out of the country

Umarex ( Walther ) just built their new NA facility across town, but I do not believe they are manufacturing firearms locally yet, although I understand that is the plan. Likely the stuff that was made by S&W would be manufactured here.

Would be interesting to land Sig as well.

Originally Posted By: bioburner

And looks like they need the tax base to help pay for all those things except the workforce. My county is the same and scaring away business with high taxes and pretty much high everything.
The European union is pressuring arms manufactures out of the country
Right you are bio. We do have very high property taxes which the governor and unicameral say they are going to to do something about and never do. The problem being, there isn't anything else to tax and the population is low.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Win
Umarex ( Walther ) just built their new NA facility across town, but I do not believe they are manufacturing firearms locally yet, although I understand that is the plan. Likely the stuff that was made by S&W would be manufactured here.

Sig has already moved most of their production to New Hampshire after getting in trouble with the German government a few years back.

That doesn't seem to matter, they are close to Boston right now and that does have the best medical facilities with some of the best universities in the world and a highly skilled firearms knowledgeable workforce available.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Win

Sig has already moved most of their production to New Hampshire after getting in trouble with the German government a few years back.

Something must have made them compare the energy costs here, to there, and conclude they would save $1M/annum.

edit: never mind - I see it's an ammunition plant they're locating on the other side of the state. Remington has done a big expansion on their ammunition plant here also, I think.

Still, would be nice to see Sig down the street from Umarex .....We have a lot of Sigs. My wife likes them. For some reason.

Last edited:

Never. H&K will charge what they charge, regardless if they manufacture in the Black Forest, or the Peachtree State. People will only be too happy to line up and pay for it. It won't matter in the least if their "German Engineering" comes from Georgia.

My P226 is of 'Old Stock' ie. made in West Germany.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Finn

My P226 is of 'Old Stock' ie. made in West Germany.
grin.gif

They were made better back then. While the slide construction is crude compared to the modern milled slides, I have seen more consistent reliability out of the old Teutonic manufactured guns than the stuff churned out in New Hampshire. I am still mad at myself for not snagging one of those surplus 225 German police trade ins years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back