Heavy load tire pressure on 07 Corolla..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been searching the web to find out what would be the ideal PSI for a trip when carrying a heavy load. I am running Pirelli P7 225/45/17's with XL load range, max tire inflation is 44psi, door placard is 30. I typically run 32 psi all around. I also should say I have a front passenger side leaking strut, which I want to go easy on til I replace it (soon). It also seems when I hit a bump that makes the car bounce the back tires scrape against the fender resulting in a round gouge into the sidewall of the tire. Only on bumps that make the car bounce, also wonder if my shocks are not as strong as they used to be.. wish I had an easy solution to fix that problem...besides replacing the tires with smaller tires like 215's... live and learn I suppose. So to clarify my questions:

1- What PSI to run with a heavy load? (or what PSI you would use & why)
2- Any solutions to the back suspension? (rolling fenders/other ideas)

Thank you for all suggestions!!

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Why are you running bigger tires than stock? That's your problem...

Rolling fenders would help.

I got some 17 inch mags, and the 225's were the best choice (considering % difference regarding plus sizing..) I realize it was probably not the best idea.. but I had 215's on it before and they were fine.. so the width is what is the problem. Wondering if there is a cheap way to roll them.. Im guessing it would be somewhat costly to get it done somewhere.

Last edited:
Heavier weight = higher pressure. How much weight are we talking? If near vehicle limits I would start at tire max (44) and go down.from there.

You didn't say if it is an internal load or a trailer.

Replace that bad strut and get a new tire. If there is a gouge on or near the side wall, the tire will go flat in a hurry. Ask me how I know, ha

Are you sure the sidewall max is 44 psi? Every XL tire I've seen is rated 50 psi max. Also, every XL P7 tire listed at TR is rated 50 psi. (Which is pretty funny, now that some SL tires, especially in higher speed ratings, are specced to 51 psi max.)

Anyway, 44 psi sounds like about the right place to start. If you get on the road and the ride is too harsh to stand, lower to 40, maybe. With a load rating of, what, 94?, you have a nice cushion over the OE tires. Just keep the speed and the cornering under control and you should be fine with a heavy load.

Youi've exceeded the cars specifications for wheels and tires, ruining a tire and now you think you need to mod the body to fit them...is it worth it?
Do the bigger size wheels and tires improve the car's ride? I know they can...17s over OEM 15s have certainly improved the Camry's ride, but I stayed with the OEM spec for wheels and tire size for the 17" wheel...

Would replacing the strut eliminate the tire from "offending the fender?" If so, THAT would be the 1st step. If not, if the car would still bottom out onto the tire then I'd get tires that fit the fender well rather than refit the well to fit the tire...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: faramir9
Are you sure the sidewall max is 44 psi? Every XL tire I've seen is rated 50 psi max. Also, every XL P7 tire listed at TR is rated 50 psi. (Which is pretty funny, now that some SL tires, especially in higher speed ratings, are specced to 51 psi max.)

Anyway, 44 psi sounds like about the right place to start. If you get on the road and the ride is too harsh to stand, lower to 40, maybe. With a load rating of, what, 94?, you have a nice cushion over the OE tires. Just keep the speed and the cornering under control and you should be fine with a heavy load.

I think you are right.. think I was mistaken and it is 50 PSI.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Heavier weight = higher pressure. How much weight are we talking? If near vehicle limits I would start at tire max (44) and go down.from there.

Hard to say how much weight, rough estimate would be 800-900lbs all inside the car (i might be exagerrating) including passengers and luggage.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Youi've exceeded the cars specifications for wheels and tires, ruining a tire and now you think you need to mod the body to fit them...is it worth it?
Do the bigger size wheels and tires improve the car's ride? I know they can...17s over OEM 15s have certainly improved the Camry's ride, but I stayed with the OEM spec for wheels and tire size for the 17" wheel...

Would replacing the strut eliminate the tire from "offending the fender?" If so, THAT would be the 1st step. If not, if the car would still bottom out onto the tire then I'd get tires that fit the fender well rather than refit the well to fit the tire...

The 17's have improved the ride significantly. I was using the plus sizing to be as accurate as I could and the 225's fit the best.. but I didnt take into account the possibility of being too wide and scraping the side.. the front passenger strut is leaking.. but the tires are only rubbing on the back wheels.. fronts have no trouble.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

No towing just passengers and luggage.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Been searching the web to find out what would be the ideal PSI for a trip when carrying a heavy load. I am running Pirelli P7 225/45/17's with XL load range, max tire inflation is 44psi, door placard is 30. I typically run 32 psi all around. I also should say I have a front passenger side leaking strut, which I want to go easy on til I replace it (soon). It also seems when I hit a bump that makes the car bounce the back tires scrape against the fender resulting in a round gouge into the sidewall of the tire. Only on bumps that make the car bounce, also wonder if my shocks are not as strong as they used to be.. wish I had an easy solution to fix that problem...besides replacing the tires with smaller tires like 215's... live and learn I suppose. So to clarify my questions:

The first place to start is the vehicle tire placard, which is usually located on a doorframe or in the glove box. The vehicle tire placrd will list the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.

According to Tire Guides, a 2007 Toyota Corolla came with P185/65R15 86S, P196/65R15 89S, or P165/55R16 87S - all at 30 psi.

A 225/45R17 XL has a 94 Load Index. (Standard Load = 91 LI)

So 30 psi for that XL tire would be more load carrying capacity that the original tires.

Please note that Tire Rack say the right tire size for a 17" upsize is 205/45R17 - so the current tire is 2 sizes oversized. That's why it is rubbing.

And some lessons on the way maximum tire pressures are done for P type tires.

All Standard Load P type tires max out for load carrying capacity at 35 psi (36 psi if they are not P metrics). It is permissible to use a higher inflation pressure for higher speeds (with no increase in load) and the prescribed max values are 44 psi and 51 psi.

Extra Load tires max out for load carrying capacity at 41 psi, and 50 psi is the perscribed max value for higher speeds.

Car manufacturers specify the inflation pressure on the vehicle tire placard based on a lot of things, but the most important is load carrying capacity. If someone wants to carry more weight than the vehicle was designed for, increasing the inflation pressure only deals with one thing of many that resulted in the vehicle's max load rating.

Plus, vehicle manufacturers do all their testing at the specified pressure - and that includes setting the spring rates, shock damping rates, and sway bar rates based on that pressure 9which results is the tire having a certain spring rate. Yes, spring rates vary a bit from tire to tire, but tire spring rates are strongly correlated to inflation pressure regardless of the tire's make and model.

So in theory, the 30 psi Toyota specified will carry the max load - and since we are dealing with a tire that is oversized, 30 psi would also be more than the max load of the vehicle.

So, No, starting at the max pressure is just inherently wrong.

Also, since this is a Corolla I assume you plan to keep it for a long time, with at least one more set of tires: Note that an almost exact match---less than 0.5% difference---with the OE spec is 205/50R17. That won't be so wide it will rub or mess with any suspension parts. There is a good selection in that size, including the P7 ASP. That assumes your OE tires were 195/65R15; if you have a CE trim with 185/65 tires the size/diameter/rpm comparison is a bit different, but still close.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

The first place to start is the vehicle tire placard, which is usually located on a doorframe or in the glove box. The vehicle tire placrd will list the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.

According to Tire Guides, a 2007 Toyota Corolla came with P185/65R15 86S, P196/65R15 89S, or P165/55R16 87S - all at 30 psi.

So 30 psi for that XL tire would be more load carrying capacity that the original tires.

Please note that Tire Rack say the right tire size for a 17" upsize is 205/45R17 - so the current tire is 2 sizes oversized. That's why it is rubbing.

All Standard Load P type tires max out for load carrying capacity at 35 psi (36 psi if they are not P metrics). It is permissible to use a higher inflation pressure for higher speeds (with no increase in load) and the prescribed max values are 44 psi and 51 psi.

Extra Load tires max out for load carrying capacity at 41 psi, and 50 psi is the perscribed max value for higher speeds.

Car manufacturers specify the inflation pressure on the vehicle tire placard based on a lot of things, but the most important is load carrying capacity. If someone wants to carry more weight than the vehicle was designed for, increasing the inflation pressure only deals with one thing of many that resulted in the vehicle's max load rating.

Plus, vehicle manufacturers do all their testing at the specified pressure - and that includes setting the spring rates, shock damping rates, and sway bar rates based on that pressure 9which results is the tire having a certain spring rate. Yes, spring rates vary a bit from tire to tire, but tire spring rates are strongly correlated to inflation pressure regardless of the tire's make and model.

So in theory, the 30 psi Toyota specified will carry the max load - and since we are dealing with a tire that is oversized, 30 psi would also be more than the max load of the vehicle.

Thanks for your opinion! Just wanted to add that using the diameter variance comparing to 195 65 15 as stock size..the 225 has a -0.03% diameter variance while the 205 45 17 you mentioned has a -2.87% variance..i was trying to stay as close to 0 as possible. I used 1010tires.com plus sizing tool to compare. I think tirerack that you looked at used 185-65-15 as stock tire size. Mine came with 195-65-15..so i decided to use 195 as the baseline.

Last edited:

Thanks for your opinion! Just wanted to add that using the diameter variance comparing to 195 65 15 as stock size..the 225 has a -0.03% diameter variance while the 205 45 17 you mentioned has a -2.87% variance..i was trying to stay as close to 0 as possible. I used 1010tires.com plus sizing tool to compare. I think tirerack that you looked at used 185-65-15 as stock tire size. Mine came with 195-65-15..so i decided to use 195 as the baseline.

So I found an entry in Tire Rack for a 195/65R15 for your car, and they recommend 205/50R17. You can be sure that if Tire Rack recommends an upsize, it will fit without rubbing - and I would suggest you go there on your next set of tires.

So I found an entry in Tire Rack for a 195/65R15 for your car, and they recommend 205/50R17. You can be sure that if Tire Rack recommends an upsize, it will fit without rubbing - and I would suggest you go there on your next set of tires.

Yeah, it appears the issue in OP's case is not as much the overall diameter as it is the width (225), but I guess he already knows it by now.
smile.gif

It's also possible that the 17" rims that the OP purchased don't have an ideal offset for his car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back