heavier oil in older engines-good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it better to use heavier oil in older engines? For example I have a 95 BMW 525i with 113,000 miles. I currently run Mobil 1 5w40 truck and suv.

I have heard that older high mileage engines just work better with thicker oil. Even more so with BMW engines?? Because of thise issues I have thought about Mobil 1 15w50 for summer driving?

What do you think?

Does the engine use alot of oil and what is the hot oil pressure as compared when the motor was new or to the factory specs.

Uses no oil. Most BMWs do not have oil pressure gauges so I have no idea of oil pressure. Thanks for the thought.

No, unless you have consumption issues or require a higher viscosity (eg. towing, racing, consumption). Otherwise, a A3 rated 5-40 synthetic will suffice.

That said, I'm still using Syntec 5-50 year round to curb consumption during my 10k OCI.

5w-40 is ideal for most BMW engines... I love the results in my BMW E30 M42 engine.

JMH

Do you think your car is at the midway point of it's lifetime?

Of the three oils mentioned so far, you should choose the one with the highest zinc number for the best oxidation protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back