Health insurance increased 50 percent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten dollars increase per month. One thing about health care cost, it's the providers who charge, not the insurance. $3000 ambulance rides, 125k back surgeries done by the tens of thousands. Meds, office visits on and on. The fees are going up more. Four hundred per month may seem like a lot but compared to what it costs to get sick, it isn't a lot. In fact I don't see how theyt can do it considering the charges.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Started with this HMO self-employed plan in 2009 at $440/month for 2 and $10,000 deductible. It was by far the cheapest plan available in the state. It's gone up 8-25% per year since. Finally had to get off it as it was no longer remotely affordable.

In 2017 I think this plan is up to around $1200/month in premiums with $12K deductable. No dental. The only benefit under the deductible is an annual physical (80% covered). You pay for everything else. Basically, you're spending $25K per year if you have significant medical care.

Obamacare mandates physicals covered at 100%. The issues people run in to if they come in to a physical and say "I have been having headaches, etc. The diagnostic and treatment anything outside of a "standard physical" is not covered.

Last year for my Wife and Myself it was $850 a month. This year it's $1122 a month. And my employer pays 50% of the policy. That is just my portion. $20 Dr visit $150 ER visit. $10 prescriptions.

A decent policy from a group plan will cost about $600 - $700 month. For many the employer will pick up much of the $700 leaving the employee to pick up maybe $150.

For people on Obama Care the prices have gone up, but so have the subsidies. Many people will not pay much more for Obama Care.

They need to provide a public plan under Obama Care, that would force competition even if no one signed up for the public plan.

The net is health care is expensive regardless of who is paying for it. One thing that would be zero cost to consumers would be to allow Medicare to negotiate Rx prices. They are prevented from doing so now with all the drug company lobbyists against it. Many insurance companies set their reimbursements following what Medicare does.

A friend of mine lives in Ohio and says his health insurance is pretty cheap also but so is housing and auto insurance.. He bought a 5 bedroom house in a nice area for under $300,000 here in nj it would be over a Million in Alpine nj

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Who has had their insurance increase? I'm paying 400/month now.

$295/mo here, plus medicare levy.

Insurance is through my employer. $80 per week for me only. 80/20 HIGH deductible. $500 prescription deductible. $150 per week if I add my wife. This state did not expand medicaid. Re-enrole in January.

There should have been an insurance company participation mandate to go along with the individual mandate.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Insurance is through my employer. $80 per week for me only. 80/20 HIGH deductible. $500 prescription deductible. $150 per week if I add my wife. This state did not expand medicaid. Re-enrole in January.

There should have been an insurance company participation mandate to go along with the individual mandate.

Sorry I'm too slow. "This post may no longer be deleted."

My OC plan is going way up next year, but my subsidy is going up enough to make my monthly payment less, and overall it will cost me the same as now with 2 PCP visits in addition to the one included in the plan, and slightly less with one PCP visit. I think the max out of pocket is $600 vs $500 currently.

It is crazy expensive for tobacco users, they charge a 50% penalty of the non subsidized rate for tobacco use in most states! I had to give them up a few years ago for costs anyway (~$60 / month at my then employer, and 2 $45 cartons), but this much of an increase would have made it impossible to afford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
$295/mo here, plus medicare levy

Obama got his claws on the Ozzie $ as well!

Please be clear, are you buying insurance on your own or are you on a group plan through your employer? I've been with my employer since 2007, it's gone up a buck or two a month every year but nothing I would consider unreasonable.

Originally Posted By: KB1
Mine has gone up $400 a month. Affordable Care Act haha. For who?

For those who qualify for the subsidy.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Please be clear, are you buying insurance on your own or are you on a group plan through your employer? I've been with my employer since 2007, it's gone up a buck or two a month every year but nothing I would consider unreasonable.

All plans no matter how you get them (individual/employer) have to confirm to certain rules/care under the ACA.

You may remember certain companies suing over the birth control portion of the ACA.

Originally Posted By: CKN

All plans no matter how you get them (individual/employer) have to confirm to certain rules/care under the ACA.

You may remember certain companies suing over the birth control portion of the ACA.

Yes, but it is interesting to learn who is being impacted by changes. I sure haven't noticed a thing, nor has anyone I know personally - but we're all on group plans provided through our employer.

Sad part, regardless who wins-and what happens to OC-prices are going to keep going up....

I know two friends who work for the healthcare industry, and it actually scares me.

Now that most health care providers are FOR-profit-they are like any other company-they have to make a major profit. My friend knew trouble was coming when her company changed from non-profit to for profit.

If we really want affordable health care-it had to stay non-profit.

Blame whomever you want-but you might want to blame greed. Many knew with our aging population-there was major money that can be made. Hence what is happening....OC just gave them the what they needed....

Goes to show you what money and power can do....

Better run now....
45.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

Yes, but it is interesting to learn who is being impacted by changes. I sure haven't noticed a thing, nor has anyone I know personally - but we're all on group plans provided through our employer.

Sadly, I do...
frown.gif

Of course healthcare prices are going to keep going up, we're an older population that doesn't take care of ourselves. The only way the system can sustain itself is if healthy people pay in. I'm fine paying in and getting nothing!

It's like car insurance, you can't wait until you hit a tree to buy car insurance.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: KB1
Mine has gone up $400 a month. Affordable Care Act haha. For who?

For those who qualify for the subsidy.

Not anyone I know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back