Headlights for a 2013 Ram 1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Since I purchased my truck new back in 2013, I have always thought my low beams could be better. Now, with my daily deteriorating eyesight, I am noticing this more and more, especially with the winter grime and dirt that gets on them frequently.

I am not looking to go to any extensive, expensive procedure, unless I have no choice, just something that will make a noticable difference.

I haven't dug into any of it at all and I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I want to gather up some info first before I decide to go ahead with anything.

cheers3.gif

Try replacing the bulbs with the basic Sylvania variety; yours are five years old and significantly deteriorated.

The brighter bulbs don’t last as long, but the Silverstar Ultra may provide some increased vision.

If you need even more light, you’re looking at replacing the reflector housings with projectors and going with an HID or LED setup. Be kind to other drivers and don’t put those into a factory reflector headlight. You may be able to find factory projector housings at a junk yard.

Are your lenses still optically clear? With them being made of plastic nowadays, it's easy for them to oxidize and then you lose a bit of visibility at night.

Clean and restore the lenses first! Plastic gets cloudy with time, exposure to sunlight, and getting sand blasted by road debris. Closely inspect the reflectors themselves for haze, pitting, or fading. A problem in the reflector will require replacing the light assembly.

Worn out stock halogen bulbs can be 25% dimmer than new ones, so replacing those is the next step. I have not tested the Sylvania options, but I've had good luck with Phillips high output bulbs. In the H7 form, the X-Treme Vision was 6.7% brighter at the cost of a 400 hour claimed bulb life (standard is quoted at 1000 hours). Their RacingVision may or may not be available for you, but I measured 17% brighter at the cost of a very short 200 hour quoted life.

Contrary to what Bandito claims, there ARE drop-in LED retrofits that function properly in reflector housings without glare, but these will run you $140+ per pair. HID will require a projector, end of discussion. Cheapo amazon and ebay LED kits will be glare monsters that send more light into oncoming drivers' faces than onto the road, and will likely die an early death. The quality units come with a few years warranty and quoted life in the several thousands of hours. If you must have maximum light output and don't mind the 6000k icy white color, these are the way to go, as I measured 123% brighter (more than twice the light output of stock). Headlight Revolution carries a range of models and performs light output and beam pattern testing to make sure they are only selling quality products.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Try replacing the bulbs with the basic Sylvania variety; yours are five years old and significantly deteriorated.

The brighter bulbs don’t last as long, but the Silverstar Ultra may provide some increased vision.

If you need even more light, you’re looking at replacing the reflector housings with projectors and going with an HID or LED setup. Be kind to other drivers and don’t put those into a factory reflector headlight. You may be able to find factory projector housings at a junk yard.

That, I was aware of, Bandito, and here I thought it was just my eyes getting weaker.
grin.gif
All that aside, can I pick up these bulbs at most jobber type places?
I heard/read obtaining access to my bulbs is a bit of a pain through a trap door on the inner fender, but maybe it's not too difficult? I would also assume, with these bulbs, that keeping your fingers off of them is a must as well?
I am not looking to get carried away with anything, just looking for a a direct replacement that would improve things for me.

For the others, my lenses are clean, non hazed. When I first got the truck back in 13, the first thing I did was put a coat of Collinites 845 on the whole truck, including the headlights. In between waxes, after a wash/dry, I will sometimes give the front of my truck, including the headlights, a quick wax to help with easy bug removal, especially if we are heading to our trailer.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
...Contrary to what Bandito claims, there ARE drop-in LED retrofits that function properly in reflector housings without glare, but these will run you $140+ per pair.

Do you have a link with testing results?

Quote:

These guys compare outputs and beam patterns, and talk about build quality. A couple are really good, some are okay, and some are unsafe, unusable crud.

Tomorrow night won't be freezing cold, so I could also collect lightmeter readings and pictures of glare (or lack thereof) on my car as well.

Quote:

These guys compare outputs and beam patterns, and talk about build quality. A couple are really good, some are okay, and some are unsafe, unusable crud.

Tomorrow night won't be freezing cold, so I could also collect lightmeter readings and pictures of glare (or lack thereof) on my car as well.

Great video. Thanks for posting it up!
cheers3.gif

The GTR Lighting Gen 3 Ultras seemed like the best? Now, just have to look up prices and installation info from their other vids.

Do you have the regular reflector lenses or the projector style? If you have the regular lenses, do the H11 to H9 swap. I did it to my Ram and it made a world of difference. Very simple mod to do as well.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Do you have the regular reflector lenses or the projector style? If you have the regular lenses, do the H11 to H9 swap. I did it to my Ram and it made a world of difference. Very simple mod to do as well.

I have the regular lenses and I never heard about the conversation before.

I just checked out a few vids and it does look relatively easy. I assume you can get those H9 bulbs most anywhere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxBFxySeK0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=820PJL-29WU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUizTYe9QpQ

Looks like there is a couple ways to go about it. Cut/snip or just remove the white plastic clip, which looks the easiest.

I think I will try this out first before going to full on LED lights.

Thanks for the info!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

PM sent, xxch4osxx. Just looking for some info on where you purchased your's? I am have a bugger of a time!
mad.gif

...Contrary to what Bandito claims, there ARE drop-in LED retrofits that function properly in reflector housings without glare, but these will run you $140+ per pair. ..

At that price point, real proof of performance should be provided with the bulbs. Shining them on a warehouse wall is not proof, it is kindergarten level science.

There are several test laboratories that do legitimate, instrumented, photometric testing of headlamps and bulbs for a reasonable cost. Here is just one of them:

http://www.calcoast-itl.com/services.html

Originally Posted By: carloz
H9 has better luminance but cn have a shorter lifespan than H11.

From the research I had done looking at new lamps/bulbs for my truck, that is what I have learned as well. The brighter the light the shorter their life.
I am hoping to go tomorrow to pick up some from my local parts store haunt. Not sure when I get around to changing them out now that is has turned cold(er) again, but I am looking forward to trying these H9's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back