Heading From Canada To USA For M1 HM + M1 Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'll be headed over the border from Canada to the USA in the next couple of weeks to find me the following:

Mobil 1 High Mileage (M1 HM) and the 2-packs of the Mobil 1 oil filters. I'm suspecting to pay $24.99 or less for the M1 HM 5 quart jugs and about $9.99 for the 2 pack of M1 Oil Filters.

Can you American folks recommend the best and least expensive plcae to fin such items?

Wal-Mart? Pep-Boys? Tageget? Where?

Looking forward to your replies and thanks!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Verminator
So I'll be headed over the border from Canada to the USA in the next couple of weeks to find me the following:

Mobil 1 High Mileage (M1 HM) and the 2-packs of the Mobil 1 oil filters. I'm suspecting to pay $24.99 or less for the M1 HM 5 quart jugs and about $9.99 for the 2 pack of M1 Oil Filters.

Can you American folks recommend the best and least expensive plcae to fin such items?

Expect to pay $25.xx/jug for M1 HM at Walmart, I don't know where you can find 2 pack of M1 oil filters for $9.99.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't know where you can find 2 pack of M1 oil filters for $9.99.

Walmart online have 3 2 packs at around that price. Amazon sometimes do too.

Walmart has better everyday prices than autoparts stores. You'd have to get very lucky to find it on sale at a parts store on the day that you make your trip. I've never been in a Walmart that didn't have M1 HM oil, but I'm not sure about M1 filters.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't know where you can find 2 pack of M1 oil filters for $9.99.

Walmart online have 3 2 packs at around that price. Amazon sometimes do too.

The couple of part numbers I checked for M1 filters shows around $22 for the 2 pack. Amazon was around $25.

Oil filters? If it doesn't have to be Mobil 1 then buy fram ultra online at AAP, use the 40% off discount and pick up In store, comes out to 6.20ish per filter which can be run for 15k if you wanted.

And of course on top of these USA prices, we lucky Canadians get to add 14% exchange (currently), the tax of the state we're visiting and our own govt 13% GST when we come back across the border. The things some of us will do to buy the stuff we can't get up here!

Originally Posted By: Fastmover
And of course on top of these USA prices, we lucky Canadians get to add 14% exchange (currently), the tax of the state we're visiting and our own govt 13% GST when we come back across the border. The things some of us will do to buy the stuff we can't get up here!

how is your government going to charge 13% GST?
do they check your car fully upon going back to canada?

i am assuming OP is driving down to buy these things.

Maybe he should change his oil before going back across the border?

Wal Mart has 5qt jugs of M1HM for $25 or a little more. I've never seen M1 oil filters in our Wal Mart and have never seen M1 oil filters at prices approaching 2 for $9.99 anywhere. I expect to pay $10-12 for M1 oil filters. If you're not extending your oci too much, the Purolator Pure One is a good choice and they can be had for around $6 at Advance Auto. Auto Zone has the very similar Bosch filter for around the same price.

We don't need to pay that at all, when you travel across the border you are allowed to spend a certain amount of money depending on how long you've been there, and I've never been asked to pay the tax on a single thing I've ever bought in the US.

Originally Posted By: Patman

We don't need to pay that at all, when you travel across the border you are allowed to spend a certain amount of money depending on how long you've been there, and I've never been asked to pay the tax on a single thing I've ever bought in the US.

If you go to the USA for less than 48 hours you have to pay HST (13%) on your purchases unless you're not declaring them (dangerous) or the customs officer decides to wave you through. So you've been lucky and not had to pay.

I recently bought a half dozen Wix oil filters for my Honda on a trip through the US at O'Reilly's for between $6 and $7 each. Don't think you can get them for anything like that in Edmonton.

A small inconvenience was that each outlet had only 2 filters so I had to go to multiple outlets.

Ecotourist

Whey would you buy from the States when you can get really good deals right here in Canada? I get my wix oil filters for only 5 bucks a pop and currently you have mobil 1 on sale at partsource for only 30 bucks for 4.4+1=5.4liters. A 5 quart jug of valvoline synthetic was just on sale here at Walmart for only 18 bucks and than it dropped even further to 10 bucks a jug. I myself got 8 5quart jugs of QSUD for only 5 bucks a jug from Walmart recently. I also use auto extra filters which are made by wix and I can get them easily at most parts stores for only 3 bucks a piece.

Originally Posted By: mickey_g
Whey would you buy from the States when you can get really good deals right here in Canada? I get my wix oil filters for only 5 bucks a pop and currently you have mobil 1 on sale at partsource for only 30 bucks for 4.4+1=5.4liters. A 5 quart jug of valvoline synthetic was just on sale here at Walmart for only 18 bucks and than it dropped even further to 10 bucks a jug. I myself got 8 5quart jugs of QSUD for only 5 bucks a jug from Walmart recently. I also use auto extra filters which are made by wix and I can get them easily at most parts stores for only 3 bucks a piece.

The Valvoline sale at Walmart you are referring to is their annual "Anniversary event" and the $9.88 sale was VWB, not Synpower. Synpower was $18.88.

I have never seen QSUD at $5 a jug. I gather it was a scanning error on the store's part if that is what you paid.

I agree that in many respects, it's not worth the drive to the US for oil considering the value of the Canadian Dollar continues to fall. However, the fact remains, the sale prices up here are regular prices down there. It would be worth a trip to the US to buy sale-priced items. Canadians just have to do their homework first before heading down there.

Originally Posted By: Patman

When I worked in Detroit I'd bring back tons of stuff. The only things I had to pay duty or any type of tarif on were cigarettes and booze. Tools,clothes,and whatever else I had they didn't care about. Just the smokes and the liquor.

I noticed yesterday that Pep Boys had the vanilla M1 jug for over $40 + tax. M1 HM would be more. You can get it for about $26 + tax at Walmart. The downside with Walmart is that they might not have what you're looking for, especially M1 HM. Of course, these are US dollars.
smile.gif

I'm kind of surprised that they are too hard to get in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back