Headers on a 2000 F150 4.6 V8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Since this engine doesn't respond well to mods,what if anything can I do to make more power. I know I can change the gear ratio,but don't want to do that.

The biggest gain will be via forced induction, which I believe we discussed before. The most HP for your dollar there.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
A lot of the time the reason guys put on headers (and was the reason I was considering it with my 5.4L 2V PI mill) was the issues had with the stock manifolds cracking or the studs breaking.

Same reason I did on my 5.4 Expedition, rotten (multiple) manifolds and broken studs, answer = SS. They call them headers but really they are just SS tubular manifolds. Fender well liner extensions also help with manifold rust but doesn't 100% cure it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
A lot of the time the reason guys put on headers (and was the reason I was considering it with my 5.4L 2V PI mill) was the issues had with the stock manifolds cracking or the studs breaking.

Same reason I did on my 5.4 Expedition, rotten (multiple) manifolds and broken studs, answer = SS. They call them headers but really they are just SS tubular manifolds. Fender well liner extensions also help with manifold rust but doesn't 100% cure it.

thumbsup2.gif

Anything I can do that's much much less costly than forced induction?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Anything I can do that's much much less costly than forced induction?

Nitrous, but that's not available all the time.

You could swap in a junkyard PI 5.4L? LOL, that'd give you 40HP.

I think you should just live with the low power, it isn’t the worst thing in the world. All this money for all these mods, and then it still isn’t much more powerful?

If anything get rid of it and get another truck.

I had a 96’ Chevy with the 5.7L Vortec and could light up the tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I think you should just live with the low power, it isn’t the worst thing in the world. All this money for all these mods, and then it still isn’t much more powerful?

If anything get rid of it and get another truck.

I had a 96’ Chevy with the 5.7L Vortec and could light up the tires.

That 5.7L didn't make much more than his NPI 4.6L (~30HP) and less than the 5.4L PI mill. My Expedition would spin the tires too, that's not difficult, and it weighed a lot more than that Chevy truck. None of these things were rocket ships, and were never designed to be, you wanted a fast F-150, you bought the Lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back