headers for SS Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if any of you have a particular preference for headers on camaros? Or info on which it responds best to? Any and all comments will be appreciated.

I first joined the club in 1999 with a SS, and now have a 2002. I've read much on all sorts of modifications that have been done, and will say just about any sort of motor mod other than an air filter requires computer tuning. There have been many posts of guys putting on headers and reporting lousy dino numbers (very little improvement) and oftentimes worse performance by the butt-meter. I don't know if there are any real performance tests amongst header brands. Most guys I think see similar and respectable gains when they get a good tune, so I don't think brand matters much with respect to performance. Where I see the most complaints are fitment, clearance, header bolt problems, and computer tuning. I think most of the time it requires cat. converter removal, and EGR removal if equipped, which then runs into computer problems and O2 sensor problems you have to account for. your best bet would be to read up at ls1tech.com and ls1.com and ls2.com. You should find all sorts of header reviews over there.

Agreed LS1Tech is your friend on this subject. BTW Is this for an 96-97 LT1 or 98-02 LS1 car?

If it's for an LS1 car you can go with cheap or expensive headers. Almost all will give similar gains and I have not seen any hard evidence to disprove this.

Cheap Longtubes Flowtech, Pacesetter,

Mid Longtubes Hooker, Jet Hot, Edelbrock

High End SLP, FLP, Kooks, Stainless Works, QTP

I have been running the Jet Hot Lt's for the past two years with no problems with fitment, quality etc. The Jet Hot coating does get a little surface rust on it sometimes but it easily taken back to new finish with some Eagle1 Never-Dull Wadding. As 1FMF mentioned the LS1 cars usually go rich on the air-fuel ratio when longtubes are installed and this invloves losing power normally. However, when the PCM is tuned for the addition of the headers most see a 20-30rwhp and similar rwtq gain making it well worth the money IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back