Head Bolts for Diesel Chevette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a machinest make you a new one. A good machinest can make anything. I learned how to make nuts and bolts in machine class. Should be able to do it by hand.

quote:

Originally posted by Pick:
A friend has an old diesel Chevette with a broken head bolt. Says he can't find them anywhere. Any ideas?

That's going to be a special high strength bolt.

How about finding the other diesel Chevette that was sold in the US
grin.gif
in a junk yard and getting a bolt from it?

He should also should check with specialy automotive fastener outfits like http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/catalog/catalog.html

He will need the exzct thread size for the block end to talk to them. He could also use a stud, that gives him more options. Don't just use hardware store stuff though.

Post the thread diameter and pitch and bolt length here, maybe someone will be able to help.

I never thought to look for a a forum on chevettes.

My first car was my Grand Mothers '77 chevette with the 1.6l gas engine. I learned a lot about cars in the 8 years that I had it before selling it.

In a rebuild, I read the wrong torque spec. for the head bolts (the higher deisel's than for the gas, resulting in two stretched bolts. I was able to source grade 8's from a local Aubuchon Hardware - "midwest fasteners".

offtopic.gif

When I had the local engine shop bore and change the pistons, I believe they changed the orientation of one of the connecting rods because the engine had a clatter from the low-end of the block towards the rear since reinstallation. I don't recall ever checking the marks that I made on the endcaps/rods.

Though I didn't really feel like being seen in that "banana yellow" car, I enjoyed the sense of the old thing, drifting in the snow, etc. The slipping tranny was the last draw...I needed to clear my conscience of just what might happen next, when and where.

My Aunt's first car was a '76 Chevette 3spd auto. She drove it for 25 years. I remember it being an absolute dog, and after I gave it a full tune one year, I asked her if her fuel economy had improved. She said yes, it had went up to 20 MPG, which was better than new. I was driving a '73 Corrolla 1200 that would leave it sitting still, and I got 25 MPG, redlining it at every shift. I was shocked, but she was still happy. It had a "sealed" aircleaner. You replaced the whole aircleaner, not just the filter.

-

-

I got to where I could replace the timing belt in an hour, on the side of the interstate, at night.
smile.gif
It went out about every 12k, regular as clockwork. Found that the diesel belt would fit the gas engine, and never had to change it again. Did a lot of work to it over the years, but mainly maintenance type items. Was always left with a deep deep respect..., for my Toyota. LOL

A friend of mine has.....Errrr had one untill last month.

She got hit by a hit and run driver that tried to run away on foot after hitting her!

She claimed 40+ mpg around town with it! The engine is made by Isuzu and was used in some Isuzu cars too so finding parts is not that hard.

since GM's relationship was with Isuzu (Chrysler saddled up to Mitsu), my money says it was an Isuzu engine.

quote:

My aunt's gas powered one did 0-60 in 19.7 and the quarter in 20.6. The Festivas a hot rod in comparison.
burnout.gif

My math's not that great, but if it takes you a quarter mile to get up to highway speed, you shouldn't be on the highway.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by robbobster:

quote:

My aunt's gas powered one did 0-60 in 19.7 and the quarter in 20.6. The Festivas a hot rod in comparison.
burnout.gif

My math's not that great, but if it takes you a quarter mile to get up to highway speed, you shouldn't be on the highway.
cheers.gif

basically the thoughts of those of us unfortunate enough to have ever been behind one of these on an entrance ramp.....

Weren't the diesel Chevette engines made by Mitsubishi? If so, would a parts distributor for Mitsubishi industrial engines be a potential source?

Similarly, if made by Isuzu, I think there are industrial/commercial Isuzu diesels sold in the USA>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back