HDEOs not suitable for high RPM?

We have dual rated HDEOs in Europe too, and in fact ours, specially the 15W-40s are the old school stuff, still with high levels of ZDDP, just to name a few :
Shell Rimula R4X
Mobil Delvac MX
Castrol CRB
Motul Tekma Mega-X
Eni I-Sigma
Mannol TS-4 SHPD
Repsol Giant THPD...

What engines are you referring to? I drag race a mild SBC and use a 0W-12.
TopSportsman type engines 600ci to 800ci bbc, 1100hp and up. I just sold my TopSportsman operation. Our local dragstrip closed. :(

I have a friend with a Blown alcohol hemi, 9000rpm, in his funny car that runs straight 70w by Brad Penn Oil.
TA Launch cropprd.jpg

TopSportsman type engines 600ci to 800ci bbc, 1100hp and up. I just sold my TopSportsman operation. Our local dragstrip closed. :(

I have a friend with a Blown alcohol hemi, 9000rpm, in his funny car that runs straight 70w by Brad Penn Oil.
View attachment 104451

Gotcha. I could see a 15W-40 for that application though I know a lot of TS 582-632 engines (15.5:1 compression, E85, 8500-9500 rpm) running on Driven GP-1 5W-30 and High Performance Lubricants Bad A** 5W-30. Blown methanol engines definitely need at least an SAE 50/60. I think the Nitro 70 is a little overkill. Anyway...

It sucks your local track closed. I hate hearing that. It's happening to far too many racetracks across the country.

The new diesel engines in passenger and commercial vehicles have cats/ particle filters and everything else.

I did a 5k interval with Castrol Vecton Long Drain 10w40 E6/E9 in my '21 Vauxhall Insignia with it's little 1.5 3 cylinder diesel engine (Euro 6 emissions compliance with DPF, SCR & EGR). It's specified for a 0w20 Dexos D oil or ACEA C5.

Towards the end of the interval with the Castrol Vecton I towed our 1500kg caravan (combined train weight of ~3,300kgs) down the motorway at 58-62mph in 4th gear with the engine sitting between 2500 and 2700rpm for nearly 2 hours with the oil temps sitting around 110°c and 130°c. When I checked the dipstick immediately after I stopped there was no signs of foaming.

I'm trying to stick with *w30 & *w40 C3 type oils, however I would consider a synthetic HDEO that meets ACEA E9 again without concern if the price was right.

I doubt a street car would have a foaming issue with any oil. Our Motor Unit Harley-Davidson bikes get Kendall GT-1 20w50. 12 hour shifts 7 days a week.

OP
while a good question imho posted in the wrong forum
or
you didnt look much at all

ive been posting about using hdeo here on bitog for 17years now on a motor that spins way faster than any of these slow car motors.
9k? hahahaha my motor isnt even close to max hp...oh wait...the dyno shows ive got 3k more rpm before max hp
try 13,500 rpm (with cdi changed to 14,000 soft touch redline)
shell rotella t 15w40 white jug
shell rotella t 5w40 blue jug
mobil 1300 15w40
motorcraft 15w40
supertech 15w40
chevon delo 15w40

some may call maxima extra 15w50 a hedo
same with amsoil 20w50
same with beray 20w50
same with castrol gtx 20w50
valvoline 20w50 ms
topoil 20w50
royal purple 20w50

i have no idea if you want to count the 15w50s or 20w50s as hdeo, but certainly there are 6 hdeos by lable that i have tested at over 13,500 rpm with no issues

ill let someone chim in thats spun hdeos faster in the motor ;)

now every semi/tractor that has a turbo spins that hdeo in the 100k range. remember that when you eat dinner. hdeo brought it to your table!

We have dual rated HDEOs in Europe too, and in fact ours, specially the 15W-40s are the old school stuff, still with high levels of ZDDP, just to name a few :
Shell Rimula R4X
Mobil Delvac MX
Castrol CRB
Motul Tekma Mega-X
Eni I-Sigma
Mannol TS-4 SHPD
Repsol Giant THPD...
I for the first time ran 10w30 delvac in my mower this spring due to not being able to find the smal engine oil I always used. Engine sounded horrible had a pretty good lifter rattle. Went to my dealer a couple weeks after I put it in and they had the kohler brand stuff finally. It was so noisy I changed it out and quiet as can be now. My experience was diesel oil in a small consumer grade mower engine so results may vary.

Back