HDEO in gasoline vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
MPG might suffer ever so slightly, but it won't hurt anything. If you have a vehicle with cylinder deactivation it might be best to stick with the recommended viscosity though.

I do have 1 but I'm going to disable it. Tried the M5 tranny run around and it worked great.

I just switched from 5w/10w30 to Delvac 15w40 and the 5.3L runs smooth on that.

Paid $12/gallon when they cleared some CJ stock around town ...

as long as its dual fleet rated should be ok.
maybe not optimal or recommended(by manual) but no issues.

I thought maybe it would have more detergent and keep it cleaner. Just bought the vehicle and I don't know if they changed the oil filler cap or not but it is spotless. It was serviced every 6 to 7000 miles.

To use Chevron Delo as an example, their CK4 oils are dual rated to meet SN specs, so use in a newer gasoline engine shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think going to 10w30 vs 5w30 would be that big of a deal since I live and operate the vehicle in Louisiana.

Rotella T5 Syn-Blend 10W-30 will be my next oil change when the Texas summer heat hits.
I'll run it 10,000 - 12,000
F150, 4.6 Liter

Last edited:
It should be fine for Louisiana. I grew up in Mississippi, and my dad used to put 10w-30 in everything.

Last edited:
I did also when they came out with the 5w30 recommendations. I used to say I wouldn't use 5 weight oil on a sewing machine.lol

Just ask the many fleet and commercial users. Many of them use the same bulk oil in their autos/pickups that they use in all their other equipment, with no problems.

For me personally, I like to run a HDEO like the T5 10w30 once every year or two just to help keep things nice and clean in my gasoline vehicles.

I just thought hdeo might keep it a little cleaner since it's formulated to hold shoot in suspension in diesel engines and the new CJ-4 and CK-4 ratings are more DPF friendly so it might help with the cats also. We were having DPF problems in our trucks and switched to the CJ-4 Delvac and now problems are almost non-existent.

Last edited:
Thought about using that in my 4105 JD. Not so much for the long OCI's but for the temperature range and infrequent use. The synthetic should pick up faster since I'm pretty sure it's thinner than 15w40 Dino oil.

use D1 in everything from lawn mowers, sleds, atv's to the cars..haven't seen anywhere close to -30F so no worries...top shelf lube.

Originally Posted By: OLEJOE
I just thought hdeo might keep it a little cleaner since it's formulated to hold shoot in suspension in diesel engines and the new CJ-4 and CK-4 ratings are more DPF friendly so it might help with the cats also.

If you're really worried about the cats, or just looking for a low phosphorus HDEO in general, things Shell, Mobil, and Chevron all have E6 options. Castrol does, too, but it's technically not gasoline rated, for those who would be concerned about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back