HDD to SSD upgrade

mez

Well, finally could not take the Disk usage at 100% any longer on my 2 year old HP 15-f272wm laptop. Got so slow to do anything. Found a nice video that walked me thru it. I did my wife's Dell a while ago with the same 100% disk usage that i could not figure out what was causing it and it was such a breeze to change to SSD on the Dell. What a improvement in speed the SSD did to her laptop. The HP was involved but now it's like brand new!

Last edited:
Good to hear, they are truly great for their performance. One of the best advancements in PC technology of the last 10 years IMO.

Reactions: GON
yes certainly. Most likely the all in one has a 2.5 inch laptop disk drive. Post the model and I can let you know.

Recommend windows 10 for sure.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I wonder if it could be accomplished on my all-in-one desk top?

Should be 2.5 SATA. Doubt it would be the m2 or NVME connectors.

Originally Posted by redhat
Good to hear, they are truly great for their performance. One of the best advancements in PC technology of the last 10 years IMO.

1000% agree. The upgrade along can bring live back to many PC's.

Some all in one desktop's like certain HP models and some Mac's have hard drives temperature sensors and using the incorrect drive will force the fan to high all the time as we found out first in my cousins Mac desktop (the one where it's just the screen), and then later on in my aunts HP all in one screen type. Why they felt the need for a special drive and corresponding sensor when most drives will report temperature anyway with the right command and then they can modify internal fan speed using the value reported from the on-board temperature sensor is beyond me. I think it's these manufacturers being stupid and proprietary for no reason other than to sell you the parts themselves.

Double check your model first.

You can read about the Mac issue more here. It's similar for some of the HP's but a different sensor than the Mac and in Apple's case you sometimes need to match the right sensor to the right brand of drive.
smirk2.gif
(Usually Seagate though)

https://blog.macsales.com/27918-owc...lves-imac-hard-drive-compatibility-issue

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

Some all in one desktop's like certain HP models and some Mac's have hard drives temperature sensors and using the incorrect drive will force the fan to high all the time as we found out first in my cousins Mac desktop (the one where it's just the screen), and then later on in my aunts HP all in one screen type. Why they felt the need for a special drive and corresponding sensor when most drives will report temperature anyway with the right command and then they can modify internal fan speed using the value reported from the on-board temperature sensor is beyond me. I think it's these manufacturers being stupid and proprietary for no reason other than to sell you the parts themselves.

Double check your model first.

You can read about the Mac issue more here. It's similar for some of the HP's but a different sensor than the Mac and in Apple's case you sometimes need to match the right sensor to the right brand of drive.
smirk2.gif
(Usually Seagate though)

https://blog.macsales.com/27918-owc...lves-imac-hard-drive-compatibility-issue

I have a 2010 first-gen Core i3/Radeon 5670 iMac in my fleet which my wife daily drives. I put a 250GB Samsung SSD in along with the OWC/MacSales.com temperature probe. Costly but it does do the trick quite well.

Last edited:
Yeah I found out later that the adapters are available but at the time his hard drive failed they weren't as readily available and not a lot of information was on the net about it. We ended up returning the hard drive in his case and had it serviced at Apple.

My aunts we bought an adapter from E-bay for hers.

Last edited:
It forces you to buy the Apple specific drive right ? I hate when that happens. The SMART api already has temp data- I wonder if they got the supplier to change the firmware specifically for Apple.

For the Mac, when upgrading the hard drive and losing the temp sensor.

You need to download a free apps called Macs Fan Control.
https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Then we control the fan using the apps, you can customize the way the fan runs based on temperature.
Works great on my old IMac for 4 years now when I replaced the HD without the temp sensor.

Last edited:
The better M.2 SSD's (looks like a stick of gum) are flat out amazingly fast, with data transfer rates 10x the normal SSD's.

My wife is an avid gamer and every so often I build her a gaming computer. The last one used 2ea, 2TB Samsung M.2 SSD's. While it would be nice to say there is never any waiting for games to refresh, there is still some wait. But it's on the order of 1-3 seconds, instead of 10 to 20.

She plays her games at 4K and as many FPS as the 2080 video card will do.

image.jpg

Well, finally could not take the Disk usage at 100% any longer on my 2 year old HP 15-f272wm laptop. Got so slow to do anything. Found a nice video that walked me thru it. I did my wife's Dell a while ago with the same 100% disk usage that i could not figure out what was causing it and it was such a breeze to change to SSD on the Dell. What a improvement in speed the SSD did to her laptop. The HP was involved but now it's like brand new!
Most people report boot times are faster. But do videos load faster ?

The better M.2 SSD's (looks like a stick of gum) are flat out amazingly fast, with data transfer rates 10x the normal SSD's.

My wife is an avid gamer and every so often I build her a gaming computer. The last one used 2ea, 2TB Samsung M.2 SSD's. While it would be nice to say there is never any waiting for games to refresh, there is still some wait. But it's on the order of 1-3 seconds, instead of 10 to 20.

She plays her games at 4K and as many FPS as the 2080 video card will do.

image.jpg

I'm not sure that those are necessarily hard drive replacements like 2.5" SATA SSDs.

I think my work-issue PC laptop from a few years back had one, in addition to a secondary SATA hard drive. I didn't really use the hard drive for much, but it was part of the whole package.

But some of the newer ones use nonstandard interfaces with the drive controller and flash soldered right on the main board. Those can be crazy fast compared to anything removable.

I have a Lenovo with a hybrid drive... hard drive and a small-capacity SSD. Which would I replace? Both? Hard drive? SSD?

I have a Lenovo with a hybrid drive... hard drive and a small-capacity SSD. Which would I replace? Both? Hard drive? SSD?
Those had both kinds of storage in one piece which fits in the 2.5 inch drive slot. It doesn't split up. Replace the whole thing with a SSD large enough for the whole capacity in SSD.

Most people report boot times are faster. But do videos load faster ?

Yes, SSDs significantly decreases load times for everything compared to an HDD. I have laptops at work from 2014 that, after an SSD upgrade, they still use that same 2014 laptop without the annoying slowdowns you get from an HDD over time as it gets filled up.

Yes, SSDs significantly decreases load times for everything compared to an HDD. I have laptops at work from 2014 that, after an SSD upgrade, they still use that same 2014 laptop without the annoying slowdowns you get from an HDD over time as it gets filled up.

There are other benefits. Especially if there's inadequate memory and it goes to the drive as a RAM replacement. It's not ideal, but it certainly helps if one won't/can't increase the memory. If it has to go to a rotational drive for that, it's going to be ridiculously slow.

Back