Hazardous duty pay: Anybody else getting it

Originally Posted by bachman
Originally Posted by madRiver
Wife gets absolutely nothing at hospital to be exposed 3 times over to Covid positive people unknown at time. She isn't busy at work given focus of COVID.

However she takes full advantage of healthcare worker freebies:
* free summer camp $150 at dance
* Tiguan ended up with $80 oil change free and car cleaned
-* Bunch of coffee daily Starbucks and other food places her work ID gets it
* some large discount on full price stuff like 40-50% of retail brands

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
That s because all elective and outpatient surgeries have been cancelled. They only want sick patients in the hospitals.

50-60% of their revenue comes from surgeries.

Yeah..."elective" things like cancer treatment, cardiac procedures, and the like.

Same type of thing here in CO. Hospital revenue down more like 70%, no haz pay for those on the medical side... (I'm not "patient facing" in my job).
The message from Admin is "It's part of the job". Maybe a surprise of some sort down the road.
In total, as of last week just over 190 of staff were positives out for isolation at some point in this viral fight and about 80% or more had returned to work. Considering 190 out for 16 days or so each within the past 6-7 weeks, that's a huge hit for FTE's taken out of the workforce.

*Oncology staff and services/treatment are ongoing here as well as emergent related services or surgery's. I'd guess you have to know or find out case by case what or how others are handling and defining those services. "Elective" .

Author Larry Correia is in a panic...his wife cannot get her breast cancer treated, because it's "elective".

$2 more per hour for April and May, and hours have gone up slightly, so doing pretty good all things considered.

Originally Posted by bachman
Originally Posted by madRiver
Wife gets absolutely nothing at hospital to be exposed 3 times over to Covid positive people unknown at time. She isn't busy at work given focus of COVID.

However she takes full advantage of healthcare worker freebies:
* free summer camp $150 at dance
* Tiguan ended up with $80 oil change free and car cleaned
-* Bunch of coffee daily Starbucks and other food places her work ID gets it
* some large discount on full price stuff like 40-50% of retail brands

That s because all elective and outpatient surgeries have been cancelled. They only want sick patients in the hospitals.

50-60% of their revenue comes from surgeries.

Yeah..."elective" things like cancer treatment, cardiac procedures, and the like.

Same type of thing here in CO. Hospital revenue down more like 70%, no haz pay for those on the medical side... (I'm not "patient facing" in my job).
The message from Admin is "It's part of the job". Maybe a surprise of some sort down the road.
In total, as of last week just over 190 of staff were positives out for isolation at some point in this viral fight and about 80% or more had returned to work. Considering 190 out for 16 days or so each within the past 6-7 weeks, that's a huge hit for FTE's taken out of the workforce.

*Oncology staff and services/treatment are ongoing here as well as emergent related services or surgery's. I'd guess you have to know or find out case by case what or how others are handling and defining those services. "Elective" .

Author Larry Correia is in a panic...his wife cannot get her breast cancer treated, because it's "elective".

That is terrible to hear. My heart is aching.
I'm guessing they have pursued all avenues or all areas....

As to those on the subject of hazard pay, I think that has been asked here at my employer by many. I don't blame them for asking and I'm pretty sure a big part of that is hearing of other organizations that DO pay a premium or bonus of some sort. Losses are tens of millions per month for some hospitals so keeping the big picture in play is the bottom line. It would be very cool to see something come back to employees down the road if it can't happen now in the spirit of the dreadful situation, long hours, stress, fatigue and taking home health risks to family for those in the care provision or proximity dangers.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Wife and I look at medical workers as doing their jobs.
They went into medicine, ummm, that means working with sick people.
Its a virus. Ill agree, an easy spreading virus but its part of the job.

Military should not get combat pay, either.

Big difference between a combat Army MOS and a non combat MOS where you are indoors, in nice A/C , sitting at a computer and away from bullets wizzing by you like grunts have to deal with.

But like...they signed up for it. Right? I mean, same concept as what the other poster is talking about...

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Big difference between a combat Army MOS and a non combat MOS where you are indoors, in nice A/C , sitting at a computer and away from bullets wizzing by you like grunts have to deal with.

But like...they signed up for it. Right? I mean, same concept as what the other poster is talking about...

I forget where you stand on the issue but I agree on one level and not the other. Those in the medical field did sign up for it, but there's also a promise to protect workers with PPE. So they didn't sign up to work without PPE. Not sure who is really to blame, partly company and partly government. Like sending out soldiers like cannon fodder. No soldier signs up for that.

No hazard duty pay in real estate. No sale, no commission, can't jack up commission rates now.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I forget where you stand on the issue but I agree on one level and not the other. Those in the medical field did sign up for it, but there's also a promise to protect workers with PPE. So they didn't sign up to work without PPE. Not sure who is really to blame, partly company and partly government. Like sending out soldiers like cannon fodder. No soldier signs up for that.

No hazard duty pay in real estate. No sale, no commission, can't jack up commission rates now.

Healthcare workers should have figured out rapidly the "value" they have, and they have the option to seek other employment at their whim. I feel like the military isnt nearly the same, because you dont have the no penalty option to just "go find another job". Choices. I respect and appreciate the sacrifice of our military very much.

Hero...

This is someone who goes above and beyond. It's the Carlos Hathcocks pulling fellow soldiers out if a burning half track. It's the Barrry Marshall's who infect themselves to find the cures for diseases.

It is not the cop who goes to work every day and is one day killed. It is not the soldier who kills people and is one day killed. It is not the nurse who wrestles with meth heads every day and is one day stabbed to death.

Those are people doing their jobs who became victims, sadly. The only extraordinary thing that happened to them was dying unexpectedly.

Extra pay...do whatever you can to make more money without harming your fellow citizens.

That's where I stand on the issue(s).

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
alarmguy said:

Just about anyone in the United States under the age of 50 will not die from Covid 19. Honestly that number is closer to 60 and older but will throw in those extra 10 years. Its like working in a hospital and being worried about getting the flu.
I am pretty sure the common flu is more dangerous to people under 50 then Covid.

Covid 19 is a mild virus that spreads easy in the general population. However those in poor health and older adults over 65/70 that get the virus are in far greater danger.
IN healthy people under 60 most or many people do not even know they have had it, symptoms more mild then the flu.

Last edited:
You can see lots of hospital layoffs on dailyjobcuts.com

They have no choice but to layoff workers if the hospital census is down.

They have started "elective" stuff back up around here. The COVID unit on my wife's floor got shut down over the weekend. Things heading back to normal.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Hero...

This is someone who goes above and beyond. It's the Carlos Hathcocks pulling fellow soldiers out if a burning half track. It's the Barrry Marshall's who infect themselves to find the cures for diseases.

It is not the cop who goes to work every day and is one day killed. It is not the soldier who kills people and is one day killed. It is not the nurse who wrestles with meth heads every day and is one day stabbed to death.

Those are people doing their jobs who became victims, sadly. The only extraordinary thing that happened to them was dying unexpectedly.

Extra pay...do whatever you can to make more money without harming your fellow citizens.

That's where I stand on the issue(s).

I agree completely. I am tired of all the "healthcare heroes" crap.

I am not a hero. I am a person doing the job I was hired for and get paid for. Did it before this "crisis", will do it after as well when I am no longer considered a "hero".

hatt,

Sooner things get back to normal, the better for everyone.

I also work in heathcare but on the other side.

Probably too late for my neighbor.
frown.gif

Jarlaxle,

With the real unemployment number quickly approaching 50 million....

I have to agree with you that its too late for many business owners across this country. Even when the country is back open, majority of the people will be watching every penny.

Delta announced today their entire 777 fleet will be retired due to the depressed demand for long haul travel for the next few years. Vacations are no longer needed when people are just trying to keep their heads above water.

Back