Haynes You Tube Videos

I came across this Haynes labeled video covering a pad slap on a Gen 4 Ford Taurus. It was adequate. What's the deal with Haynes? Did they do an attempt to morph into a video repair venue? There was no charge for the video and it was at least three years old. I thought Haynes closed down, an old tech repair manual company that was not worth keeping up with all the free You Tube Videos available. Anyone know the answer?

Last edited:
Their videos are a bit painful, starting with "jack up the vehicle and place on jackstands" ....and they show it

Here is some info. Haines was bought out by Info Pro Digital. Not sure if they have enough finance capital go deep into this. In think instructional videos are much harder to control access and collect fees than books from the past.

AB71C1BA-BFC2-47A9-BF39-689191A6B91E.jpg

I doubt that each Haynes manual was based on a complete teardown and rebuild.
Too much info was missing.

The ancient stock photos of drum brakes and distributors hung around way too long.

Does anyone here recall when black & white wiring diagrams went to color in such manuals?
I can't give you a date, but it was eye popping.

Last edited:
Back in the day,the early 70's ,Haynes and Chilton is all we had.You could talk to your shop teacher,check the book,get the courage to ask Dad to help on Saturday in the driveway. My Dad bought me a book for my car.When you think back ,memories, working with Dad and learning to wrench ,with a book to help,it didn't get any better than that.

I doubt that each Haynes manual was based on a complete teardown and rebuild.
Too much info was missing.

The ancient stock photos of drum brakes and distributors hung around way too long.

Does anyone here recall when black & white wiring diagrams went to color in such manuals?
I can't give you a date, but it was eye popping.
In my experience Chilton was always weird line-sketch images, which to me are way harder to interpret than an actual picture, even if only B&W. For this reason I never owned a single Chilton.

Maybe they weren't all that way. Once I swore them off I never looked at another Chilton. But I never understood how anyone tolerated the weird line images, like drawn by an artist with a pencil

I watched another Haynes video on replacing an alternator on a 2014-2018 Ford Focus. It was amazing how many of the engine accessory components had to be disassembled on the car to get to the alternator and it was certainly worthy of a video.

1. There were two ads, one at the front and one at the back.
2. There was an interesting speed section, with a fade in and fade out, much better than ridiculous high speed video.
3. It was very meticulous.
4. They listed the torques used.
5. Very good lighting.
6. Good camera angles, constantly readjusted during filming.
7. They did a complete tear down and reassembly of the components near the alternator.w
8. No one armed bandit work or jerky go pro stuff.

All I all very good quality and very informative. You can google Haynes videos and have a look at what they have. They are building their portfolio and they are starting with the most common repairs, with maybe two or three videos per vehicle. I hope they keep it up and I intend to check their videos before I do work. I sincerely hope are able to keep it up.

Last edited:
Back