Hawk HPS pads oversized...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I finally got around to doing the brake job on my dad's 2010 Prius... He has around 115K miles on the original pads/rotors... They were shot (but still had SOME life left, believe it or not!). Mostly city driving too.

Anywho...

As always, I go with my centric rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I have used this combo on many cars and have always been happy with the quality, fitment and performance. I went ahead and did the rear brakes first, no issues. The front however, the pad thickness + rotor thickness prevented the caliper fully retracted over the combination.

I thought maybe I messed something up, so I tried the other side. Same issue. I needed maybe 1mm to clear the pads/rotors. I made a call to my brother at Toyota and picked up OEM pads and a shim kit. The caliper fit perfectly fine and I was able to finish the job.

I verified the pads were the correct ones on two websites... Part number was correct. Look like I got some faulty pads?

On a side note, I love bleeding the brakes on a Prius! It runs a pump constantly once you open the bleed valve and does not even require anyone to pump the brake (although I still had someone to help out). I was able to bleed the system very quickly.

Anyone else run into an issue with pads being too large like this? Now I have to setup a return with auto anything and hopefully they pay for shipping back as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
115k on ORIGINAL PADS?
Why use anything but OEM?
I agree. I would have run OEM pads. I've got 161k miles on the original pads on my car. And no they aren't all highway miles lots of traffic too. This is what they looked like last month:
sls2kj.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You guys must not drive as aggressively as most of us. I can chew through good set of pads in 30k

30k?! Are you one of those people who race to a red light?
smile.gif

I can't even imagine how you could go through a set in 30k, unless you're a rural mailman or something.

I've got Hawk HPS in the rear of my WRX and Akebono ProACT in the front. That's what a shop could get on one day's notice from its suppliers. Braking is fine, they're pretty quiet, and they all fit, but man they produce a lot of dust.

I also have a set of Akebono ProACT pads for my wife's Civic. I was going to have someone install them when she took her car in for bodywork and the shop (which also did mechanical work) asked her if they should change the pads because they were making a lot of noise. They put on some cheap pads I'd never heard of and there's still some odd noise. I'm thinking I should have them installed.

Yes, the pistons were completely retracted as far as they could go... Didn't fit!

Yes, 115K on the original pads/rotors and likely 85% city driving if I had to guess. I assume the regenerative braking takes quite a load off of the brakes increasing life? Maybe not...

I went with centric rotors and hawk pads because they were cheaper than OEM parts through auto anything with coupon codes and everything else. I was trying to bring the price down for my dad as he expected to not have the car that much longer (maybe a year?). I also have used these parts quite a few times and never had any fitment or performance issues, so they have been my go-to combo for brake jobs.

I am just glad the pads were the issue and not the rotors!

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
115k on ORIGINAL PADS?
Why use anything but OEM?

115k is a pretty typical life span for pads on a Prius. It doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the pads. It's because most of the braking is done by the regeneration system, not the brake pads.

I put Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Accord, and they have been the best pads I've ever used on any vehicle. I later put another set on the rear of the Accord, and a front set on my Bronco. They have excellent bite, wear extremely well, and there's no excessive dust.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You guys must not drive as aggressively as most of us. I can chew through good set of pads in 30k

smile.gif

I can't even imagine how you could go through a set in 30k, unless you're a rural mailman or something.

My wife once went through a set of pads in 16k. Given, it was in a really heavy car (Cadillac DeVille) but even considering that 16k was ... surprising.

smile.gif

It has a lot to do with cars and the pads.

On some of my car (Corolla) the pads (Akebono ProACT) last 60kM or more, but others (like Taurus with Hawk HPS) it lasted only about 30kM or less.

smile.gif

I completely wore through a set of semi-metallic Thermo Quiets in 27K miles. I did a lot of towing on those pads though...like daily.

40K seems to be about the max for my truck, but it has been driven in heavy traffic on city streets for the majority of its life. It has also never had ceramic pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back