Havoline who???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: vweosdriver
I used Texaco Havoline for over 50 years in all my cars until I bought one that required synthetic. I can remember, and I know some of you are old enough to remember too, when Havoline was the only oil sold under the same name in every state.

Havoline was the first oil I ever used in my vehicles,now it's becoming so hard to find,dont understand what happened
21.gif

The Havoline brand is not marketed as agressively to the do-it-yourselfer market as Castrol,and several other brands. They are very strong in Australia,S.America and other countries. You'd be very jealous of the products they offer elsewhere. Here in the states,they have a nationwide chain of Havoline monkey-lubes and their products still maintain strong fleet accounts. In other words they probably are not very swayed by China-Marts cut-throat dirty-dog business practices. I'd like to see many more suppliers tell ChinaMart to give themselves an enema.

I've used more Havoline than any other oil.

I always make shure to tick the Havoline box when I take surveys on brands.

Before my father retired in the late 70's from his own gas station business(Esso/Exxon), we used nothing but Uni-Flo oils for our vehicles. Since then, I've used Havoline(amongst other oils) since that time because it was reasonably priced everyday and often on sale w/rebate which made the price even better. Since Havoline went to the new Deposit Shield, the price sky rocketed and never came down in my neck of the woods. Never saw any more sales/rebates either. Now I see Havoling dissapearing from all store shelves in my area. Sad to see this happening as I always felt comfortable using their oil.

I don't know whats happening with Havoline here in the midwest. The supply dried up. None at Advance, none at WM, AZ stopped carrying it 2 months ago. Still some at the local Farm and Home Supply, and TSC is carrying Chevron. But the pickin's are slim.

Mills Fleet Farm / Blain's Farm & Fleet in Wisconsin, Minnesota,Illinois etc still carry Havoline. I can also get it once in a while on sale at Pamida.

In the farm areas of the midwest Havoline was the market leader. Many of the older farmers I know still use it exclusively. The town I grew in Illinois had a Texaco refinery until the early eighties. We would buy Havoline products in 55 gallon barrels from a local distributor near the refinery. There was lots of brand loyalty to Texaco in these parts.

After refinery closed, Texaco pulled out of most of Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana. I could only get Texaco gas in Iowa and Minnesota for a while. Now I think they are totally out of the midwest. Havoline appears to be slowly going away also.

In the case of Havoline, this is a case of corporate America squandering an excellent brand name. I get the feeling that Chevron wants to boost their own brands and Havoline is going by the wayside. I think this is a big mistake.

I just remembered and now wonder if the discrimination lawsuit against Texaco from the late '80s is having a little influence on reducing Havoline's presence in the market?? It could be part of the long range stratgic plan, lawsuit settlement, and low sales. The lawsuit occurred before Texaco merged with Shell, then Chevron, and involved employees at their at the time Headquarters in White Plains, NY. I did have aspirations of working there in the early '80s, but my career took a me in a different direction.

When Havoline went from Formula 3 to Drive Shield it seemed to lose favor among BITOGers. It might have been the loss of moly or the thinner viscosity. It also might have been the rise in price which left many of us feeling it wasn't a bargain anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back