Havoline who???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, Havoline has been written off BITOG faster than it was taken off the shelf at Walmart. Are OTC brand following and popularity swayed by Walmart's inventory and pricing?? I stopped by a local WM last week, and there was not one qt or 5 qt jug of PP to be found.

If all WM's stop carrying PP, will it follow the same path to being a forgotten PMCO?

huh? Havoline is a top quality conventional, and while their dose of moly has dropped a bit, they are still top notch. I wouldnt hesitate using their oil for an application that warranted use of a conventional.

Are you sure they stopped carrying PP, or just out of stock?

Regarding Havoline, there is a limit to how may different brands they can carry, especially if the products are similar. And Chevron does not have a well-known synthetic brand, so maybe Walmart wants to cut the number of suppliers (at least in your area).

The following major suppliers seem to be available at most Walmart's:

ExxonMobil - Exxon, Mobil Clean, Mobil 1
BP - Castrol
Shell - Pennzoil, QS, Shell
Ashland - Valvoline
Walmart - SuperTech

I was at the Wal Mart in the State College area and there was a VERY small section of PP. Lots of yellow bottle though and lots of Mobil 1. No Castrol Edge at all.

Walmart probably wanted Havoline for less and they said no.

I was lucky to buy all the remaining 5w20 and 5w30 Havoline DS for $1

I stocked up on $1 DS during WM's clearance, and am waiting for the few $7 10W-30 5-qt jugs prices to drop to match $1/qt. My comment is based on that there are no more references or recommendations for Havoline since WM stopped carrying it.

At the local WM, there are no more shelf spaces for PP qts or jugs; only Q-HP. Mobil Clean 5k qt stock is getting small, and maybe on the way out also.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I was at the Wal Mart in the State College area and there was a VERY small section of PP. Lots of yellow bottle though and lots of Mobil 1. No Castrol Edge at all.

For college kids, when it comes down to a choice of synthetic, or conventional oil plus beer, the later always wins.

At Superstores in more affluent suburbs, there is plenty of PP, but it is proportional to what sells.

Walmart did not get to be the largest retailer in the world by being stupid. They stock what sells. They don't sit around and philosophize about what product is better than the other.

Walmart's managers are not stupid but they sometime made mistakes, what else can you say about they try to sell Castrol Edge for $34/jug and no buyers. How about M1 0W20 and 0W40 on clearance for $2/qt a couple years ago in my local store ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Walmart's managers are not stupid but they sometime made mistakes, what else can you say about they try to sell Castrol Edge for $34/jug and no buyers. How about M1 0W20 and 0W40 on clearance for $2/qt a couple years ago in my local store ?

Individual Walmart store managers do not make any price or stocking decisions. Those decesions are made a regional level. Even the HVAC temps are controlled remotely by corporate headquarters.

The price of Castrol Edge is largely determined by Castrol, unless Walmart decides that it is not selling and wants to dump it. When Walmart decides to no longer stock and item, they are aggressive on pricing to move the merchandise.

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Individual Walmart store managers do not make any price or stocking decisions. Those decesions are made a regional level. Even the HVAC temps are controlled remotely by corporate headquarters.

The price of Castrol Edge is largely determined by Castrol, unless Walmart decides that it is not selling and wants to dump it. When Walmart decides to no longer stock and item, they are aggressive on pricing to move the merchandise.

When I bought M1 0Wxx on clearance last year at one WM, the other WM's had 0Wxx at full price, I went to other WM's to get more M1 0Wxx at $2/qt. That particular WM had M1 0Wxx on clearance do not carry any M1 0Wxx anymore while other WM's do.

This tells me individual Walmart store managers make stocking decisions. It is the correct way to run a store, local demands may not exactly match regional or national demands.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
When I bought M1 0Wxx on clearance last year at one WM, the other WM's had 0Wxx at full price, I went to other WM's to get more M1 0Wxx at $2/qt. That particular WM had M1 0Wxx on clearance do not carry any M1 0Wxx anymore while other WM's do.

This tells me individual Walmart store managers make stocking decisions. It is the correct way to run a store, local demands may not exactly match regional or national demands.

I did not mean to imply that every store in an area stocks the same items, or charges the same prices. I am just saying that the people who decide those issues have responsibilities beyond just one store.

Also, there are many factors that affect what a store stocks, and what price they charge, even in the same area. These include the size of the store (shelf space), demographics (age, income level, ethnic background, etc) of customers who typically visit that store, previous demand of a particular product at a store, etc, etc.

I don't know if you ever noticed, but when they rearrange the shelf space, they get computer printouts that tell them exactly where to place each item. If you look around sometimes in Walmart, you will sometimes see these taped to the shelves.

Walmart is the most automated retailer in the world, by a long shot.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS

If all WM's stop carrying PP, will it follow the same path to being a forgotten PMCO?

Yes, I only use what Walmart carries because all oils are basically the same. Except for RP which makes me
37.gif

Stopped into a WM in NC and there were no 5W-30' qts on the shelf, only 10W-30 and 10W-40. There were a few 5 qt jugs of 5W-30, but looks like the store is phasing Havoline out. Next time I'll price check a 10W-30 qt to see if it is on $1 close out.

I used Texaco Havoline for over 50 years in all my cars until I bought one that required synthetic. I can remember, and I know some of you are old enough to remember too, when Havoline was the only oil sold under the same name in every state.

Originally Posted By: vweosdriver
I used Texaco Havoline for over 50 years in all my cars until I bought one that required synthetic. I can remember, and I know some of you are old enough to remember too, when Havoline was the only oil sold under the same name in every state.

Havoline was the first oil I ever used in my vehicles,now it's becoming so hard to find,dont understand what happened
21.gif

Originally Posted By: vweosdriver

Yep, grew up on Havoline. That was the oil for years.. My Wally world doesn't carry much of it any more cuz nobody was buying it...donno

So...is Chevron Supreme to Havoline DS like Quaker State (Green Bottle) is to PYB? Or the other way around, or the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back