Havoline Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw about 70 quarts at Big Lots for $2 a quart. I talked to the manager and bought all the 5w-30 and 5w-40 for 99 cents a quart. It is 50% SL and 50% SM. Any good, I have a lot of it?

The synthetic blend is $1.50 and the dino is 89 cents. Exact split of SL and SM.

Quote:

Saw about 70 quarts at Big Lots for $2 a quart. I talked to the manager and bought all the 5w-30 and 5w-40 for 99 cents a quart. It is 50% SL and 50% SM. Any good, I have a lot of it?

I can't promise it's any good, but my buddy has been running it in his 2003 Chevy Impala Police 9C1 based on the oil life monitor for the past couple of years and his car still runs like a dream. The car is used for regular police patrol duties here in south Texas, so you *know* it's being pushed to the limits.

He's currently on a 9,000 mile+ OCI with that car.

For whatever it's worth... *shrug*

I looked at my BigLots but all they had was 10w30 and it was all 3 dollars per quart. Kinda expensive. If it was 2 bucks i might be pursuaded to buy...lots!

Sounds like a good deal....

Maybe you can start your own lube service now...
wink.gif

Depends on what you're going to run it in. If the vehicle is more than few years old, I'd say you did really good. If you're running it in a brand new vehicle that calls for 5W-30 or 5W-20 SM-rated oil, then I'd say you have a mixed bag.

But on its face, the price was good.

I hit big lots today and grabbed a case of the 5w30 full synthetic for $3 a bottle. My oil inventory is really thin lately.
I have faith that it will be a good oil. At that price, it was cheaper then store brand and the M1, Syntec, QS, PZL 'mart jugs. Plus, lately I haven't seen too many rebate or clearance full synthetics. Quarts of name brand synthetics aren't getting cheaper.
I might have to drive by biglots in a week or so and grab another case or 2 for the empty garage oil shelf.

I picked up 60 dollars worth of oil from them...

in the 5w40 and 5w20 flavors of synthetic!

5w40 is VW 502.00 and 505.00 rated which makes me super happy.

I bought 15 quarts today. What is the lowdown on this oil. Group 3? Additive package? They also had gallons of SM dino havo for 7.50.

Went to Biglots today, and saw the sale. Had at least 20 5 quart jugs of 10w-30/40 and even some gallon jugs of 10w-40 and 20w-50. Than they had high mileage, synthetic blend, synthetic and regular conventional. Anywhere from 5w-20 to 20w-50 were stocked in quart bottles, must have had 100 quarts at least. Gallon jugs of the conventional were priced at 9.00 for the 5 quarts, and the bottles of synthetic were 3.00 a quart, synthetic blend was 2.50 I believe and regular was 1.90.

Looks exactly like the shelf at my BigLots. BTW, I've never really looked at oil at biglots until now, what is usually stocked there? I also noticed alot of Truck and SUV (4x4) Quaker state synthetic blend in 5 quart jugs for 10 dollars.

From what I've read on here, the Havoline Synthetic is Group III, but I cannot confirm that. And I also have read its quite the sleeper oil, at the very least its a high quality group III. I'd use it without hesitation. But once again, only a UOA can prove if it works good in your application.

Talked to a guy at Biglots buying Havoline synthetic for his ranger, he said he normally buys M1 and changes it every 3,000 miles...YIKES!

I bought 40 quarts of Havoline Synthetic 5W-30 today @ $3.00 a pop. I already had two 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 EP on hand. I haven't stashed oil in years; you guys are infectious! Anyway, my wife says I can't come here anymore, because you guys are bad, and a bad influence on otherwise fiscally responsible people! How do I get outta the doghouse?

Hav Synth is light on the additives, but a great oil. Maybe one to pump up with VSOT or MLEP. I came to the conclusion that regular Havoline is nearly as good, not to sweat finding the synth, but those are darn good deals. Currently running 4q of 5w-20 HDS and 1q of HS 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back