Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Passport1

I changed one of my cars to ProDs 5w-30 a couple of months ago. Selling 6 qts. for the price of 5 in a recyclable box is a smart idea.

I bought some Chevron stock about three years ago and have been very happy with it. Great company for the investor.

Good stock that pays a nice dividend.

Last I checked it was a little over $100 a share and still rated a "buy".. maybe it has to do with the hordes of cash they're sitting on, last I read it was upwards of +$10bn in cold cash, with a market cap of around $250bn.. It's a very well ran company that's made very few "bad" decisions over it's history.

Last edited:
I had to do a super short OCI in my toyota because I didn't seat the air filter properly (for 1000 miles - ugh, embarrassing). I grabbed a smart change box of ProDS as an economical replacement.

I liked the packaging and value - decided to stick with it for the future. Can't beat the 6-quart package for what is by all accounts a perfectly serviceable synthetic.

It makes no difference to me, but I have to wonder if there is some amount of Group II+ mixed in some of the "fully synthetic" dexos labeled oils.

From this PDF, you can see Mobil states that using their II reduces the amount of Group III required for dexos approved oils. 68% less. Whether they can call them full synthetics or no I don't know.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...oup-ii-negates-need-for-group-iii-ad-ins

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by buster
Interesting they mention the Peugeot TU3M wear test, even for 16 and 20 grades. This looks like a very good oil despite the Noack. I was under the assumption that it was 14%, which it used to be. It's not bad enough to where I wouldn't use it. I'm guessing this oil is using some amount of Mobil EHC Group II + base oil. Oronite is a great additive supplier. The one weakness is the Noack, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

The Amazon Noack is very good and it has a nice slug of boron.

Flip a coin....

Considering the volatility, I wonder if these are Group II+/Group III blends.

Probably not. They're labeled full synthetic and a grp2, no matter how good it is, isn't synthetic by any industry definition. Plus, meeting Dexos requirements short of a full syn is very difficult. I only am aware of SOPUS doing it with 2 labeled syn blends and it's probably done using a high % of Grp3+ GTL.. and I don't see Chevron buying GTL from SOPUS when they refine their own Grp3.

(besides, if you're a blender why the HE-double hockey sticks would you source grp2 or 3 from Chevron if they didn't have confidence in their own base oils?🤔)

I don't think there is any established industry definition of a synthetic aside from the performance level.
My understanding is that there are some Group II+ oils now that have a decent VI and when blended with Group III, can deliver an adequate performance level to be approved for Dexos.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Show me some magic number that proves one group leaves all the others behind with 100 or 200k's more engine life.

Are you serious?
You have to know that's impossible to ask. Surely you know why...... don't you?

Last edited:
Well because if brand x and brand z which both meet the same specs, changed at the same time, and operated in the same conditions both provide nearly identical service life and performance.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I don't think there is any established industry definition of a synthetic aside from the performance level.
My understanding is that there are some Group II+ oils now that have a decent VI and when blended with Group III, can deliver an adequate performance level to be approved for Dexos.

True, but they're appropriately labeled as blends. And it's worth mentioning that these Grp2+'s, like EHC45 and Chevron's 100R, are just a hair shy of being considered a grp3.

Plus, I've never really understood the fascination with chasing low noack oil. OE's are the driving force behind oil standards like noack volatility. They're concerned with F/E (thickened oil), lubrication over extended ocis and emissions and how volatility impacts that. So unless you're burning oil or doing extended drains, volatility shouldn't be anything you should be worried about as the standard is set (

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Well because if brand x and brand z which both meet the same specs, changed at the same time, and operated in the same conditions both provide nearly identical service life and performance.

Please name brands x and z?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Show me some magic number that proves one group leaves all the others behind with 100 or 200k's more engine life.

Are you serious?
You have to know that's impossible to ask. Surely you know why...... don't you?

Yes because its all BS!

No BS Johnny. Only way to compare is using many multiple factors identically, beginning with the engine assembly parts - then line production.
..... and we all know that the same engine part built at 9:30 won't be identical to the one just prior at 9:29.
Identically Same with assembly
...............Same with driver physical habits
...............Same with oils being used
...............Same with driver driving style
...............Same with weather geography
...............Same with terrain construction and design
etc.....etc.....etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back