Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just used the Havoline ProDS on my last change I wondered about that NOACK but after 6764 mile OCI it used less than a 1/2 quart of oil and the TBN was still 2.4 would have made 7500 Miles EZ.

Certainly no authority but depending who you believe and read here, NOACK level importance ranges from rather important, to not so much, not a deal breaker. At it's regular WM price for the 0w20 Smart Change Box ~$20, it's Noack wouldn't deter 'me' from using it. And checking just now, it's on roll back to $18 a box. Others may make a different judgement and choose instead say Super Tech Synthetic 0w20 currently rolled back to $14.88 a jug.

I just ran Havoline Pro DS 0w20 in the CX5 for a 5k interval. The oil still had a golden hue to it. The engine ran smoothly.

Interesting they mention the Peugeot TU3M wear test, even for 16 and 20 grades. This looks like a very good oil despite the Noack. I was under the assumption that it was 14%, which it used to be. It's not bad enough to where I wouldn't use it. I'm guessing this oil is using some amount of Mobil EHC Group II + base oil. Oronite is a great additive supplier. The one weakness is the Noack, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

The Amazon Noack is very good and it has a nice slug of boron.

Flip a coin....

Are you talking about the Havoline buster? I would think Chevron has their own portfolio of base oils to choose from.

Originally Posted by buster
Interesting they mention the Peugeot TU3M wear test, even for 16 and 20 grades. This looks like a very good oil despite the Noack. I was under the assumption that it was 14%, which it used to be. It's not bad enough to where I wouldn't use it. I'm guessing this oil is using some amount of Mobil EHC Group II + base oil. Oronite is a great additive supplier. The one weakness is the Noack, but I don't think it's that big of an issue.

Flip a coin....

Considering the volatility, I wonder if these are Group II+/Group III blends.

Flip a coin....

I'd be shocked if Chevron isn't using their own grp2 and 3 base oils along with Oronite addys for their house lubes. I think your odds of landing safely on the Sun are better than that (using someone else's BO) happening....

(they also make their own grp5 in conjunction with ConocoPhillips)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

I thought I read somewhere that Chevron made their own group 2+.

They do. They supply Neste for example with grp2 and 3 BO.

Chevron grp2/2+ base oils..
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic

Flip a coin....

Considering the volatility, I wonder if these are Group II+/Group III blends.

Probably not. They're labeled full synthetic and a grp2, no matter how good it is, isn't synthetic by any industry definition. Plus, meeting Dexos requirements short of a full syn is very difficult. I only am aware of SOPUS doing it with 2 labeled syn blends and it's probably done using a high % of Grp3+ GTL.. and I don't see Chevron buying GTL from SOPUS when they refine their own Grp3.

(besides, if you're a blender why the HE-double hockey sticks would you source grp2 or 3 from Chevron if they didn't have confidence in their own base oils?🤔)

Last edited:
One vehicle has Havoline 5w30 High Mileage SynBlend - no noticeable consumption change vs the valvoline syn w/maxlife or mobil1 high mileage that were run before.

The other has Havoline ProDS 5w30. Vehicle still consumes zero oil and it runs great. No noticeable differences between it, valvoline full syn, Mobil 1, or even pennzoil platinum.

I have another box on the shelf ready to go early 2020 for its next change.

6 quart box of 5w30 full syn slated to go in my brother's f150 2.7 ecoboost, so we'll see how it goes.

since he bought it we have done 2 changes of Magnatec 5w30. If it uses any oil with the havoline probably go back to Magnatec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

[Linked Image]

Chevron was the first here in the US to use their group II+ base oils for PCMO's. Chevron has their own group IV and V basestocks to use also.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

[Linked Image]

Chevron was the first here in the US to use their group II+ base oils for PCMO's. Chevron has their own group IV and V basestocks to use also.

Right.. they have a $13bn a year 50/50 joint venture with ConocoPhillips producing grp4 and 5's and just put a new $6bn ethane cracker online in the Gulf Coast last year.

Here's some of what the cooperation mfgs...

Olefins & Polyolefins - Ethylene, Polyethylene, Normal Alpha Olefins, Polyalphaolefins, Propylene and High-Density Polyethylene Pipe, Conduit and Pipe Fittings.

Specialties, Aromatics & Styrenics - Cyclohexane, Styrene, Polystyrene, Benzene, Mining Chemicals, Soltex® Drilling Mud Additive, Scentinel® Mercaptans, Specialty Organosulfur Compounds, Racing Fuels, E-Series™ Acetylene Hydrogenation Catalysts

Interestingly grp3's were not widely available here in N.A. until Chevron back in the early 90's began commercial grp3 production in the States using it's patented all hydroprocessing method.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Chevron it's a company which has consistently led the industry with new innovations or at least had the foresight to jump on using hydrocracking oils. This is likely although large Chevron does not have Shell or XOM resources.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I'm a fan of Chevron it's a company which has consistently led the industry with new innovations or at least had the foresight to jump on using hydrocracking oils. This is likely although large Chevron does not have Shell or XOM resources.

Still big enough to be amongst the Big 6 oil/energy companies (by revenue) globally. (non state owned)

I changed one of my cars to ProDs 5w-30 a couple of months ago. Selling 6 qts. for the price of 5 in a recyclable box is a smart idea.

I bought some Chevron stock about three years ago and have been very happy with it. Great company for the investor.

Originally Posted by Passport1

I changed one of my cars to ProDs 5w-30 a couple of months ago. Selling 6 qts. for the price of 5 in a recyclable box is a smart idea.

I bought some Chevron stock about three years ago and have been very happy with it. Great company for the investor.

Good stock that pays a nice dividend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back